Other current Flight Simulators

Flightgear V2.6.0 released Feb 20, 2012

Postby DaveSims » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:53 pm

DaveSims
Major
Major

Re: Flightgear V2.6.0 released Feb 20, 2012

Postby Xpand » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:59 pm

I believe that Flight gear will be able to take FS's place if they continue to advance like this.
Last edited by pete on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xpand
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby DaveSims » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Honestly, I do not currently use Flightgear but I do keep track of what is going on with it.  I tried a much earlier version years ago and saw the potential, but was unimpressed.  Since then I simply have not taken the time to download and get it properly set up to function.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:18 am

I remember trying out Flight Gear during its earlier incarnations. I saw a lot of potential as well with this time and I was even more impressed by the wide range of keyboard/mouse controls for this simulator. I'm planning on getting a new joystick soon so that I can try out the latest version of Flight Gear. I like to see how the flight models have improved over the years.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:06 am

I started using it quite a while back. Okay the screenshots weren't the most mind blowing in the world but hey I think I've had more fun with this game than almost any other FS version! And the best bit? It is FREE!!! This new version is a massive leap forward!
Last edited by ozzy72 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Screwbottle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:06 am

Hello everyone

I'm new to the forum, although not new to the main site. I've been involved in computers for 35 years now (yes getting on in years), and was fortunate to have grown up and be involved in SIMS, both flying and otherwise from an early age, having military parents. When the first MS Flight Sim launched, MSFS I, I acquired it in mid 1983, I was hooked. I had both a hobby to go with my career stuff, which was fixing all things Unix/main frame and then early days MS, DOS 1.1 through 3.3, Windows 286, 386 to 3.0. the rest is history. I now do them all along with Apple O/S and Linux, my own business for the last two years.

Where am I going with this, well I have enjoyed FlightGear in the same way, from it's early incantations, version 0.80 for me, starting with it in 2002, to present 2.6. And I can say for a free SIM supported by pure hobbyists in their free time with no real commercial input in site, I think this SIM is a phenomenal achievement compared to the many other commercial SIMS and wannabe's out there. What it lacks in real eye candy (the scenery and especially the shorelines could be better), it makes up for true accuracy of what it is really all about, flying an aerial machine correctly and with competency. More than a game a true SIM.

Here's something I am giving for you to ponder on and it could be fact, as far as I have researched it, and come into contact with. Tell me how many real world commercial SIMS out there are using a MS product, my experience none (maybe this will change with Lockheed Martin buying the code of FSX and creating Prepar3D, but outlandishly overpriced for the majority of us), but they ARE using something proprietary, or X-Plane or FlightGear, due to their real world flight dynamics more accurate over what MS offers.

Anyway that's my perspective of a SIM I thoroughly enjoy, just my 2 cents worth to add to some debate. And I currently use MSFS 2004, FSX, FlightGear and X-Plane, among a number of other current and not so current combat sims, Kamov Ka-50, Flaming Cliffs, CFS3,
Last edited by Screwbottle on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screwbottle

W7 Ult. x64/Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot/Core2 Duo 6850 3GHZ CPU/MSI X-38 Diamond mobo/Asus ATI EAH5770 1GB/6GB DDR3 1333MHZ/Onboard Realtek 7.1 Surround/800GB SATAII RAID0, 1TB SATAII Storage, 500GB SATAII Linux/18x SATA DVDRW * 2 O
Screwbottle
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby logjam » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:13 pm

Screwbottle, I hear ya. I started with apple II and FS and stayed until I was demo'd an IBM running FS on 2 floppy's. I soon migrated to a clone that was able to use 1Mb instead of 640K. I ran fsII with a hercules card on a green monitor. That's almost embarrassing, ain't it? Well, I progressed with every FS upgrade, sometimes not owning enough hardware, but using it as a sim rather than a game. I guess that's what P3d is, a sim, not a game. That's why they charge so much to keep the gamers out. I guess that's why Flightgear exists and is free, to keep the gamers in.
If you need to update your flying skills, use P3d.
If you just want to play a realistic looking game, continue with Flightgear, after all it's free.
logjam
Major
Major

Return to Xplane, Flightgear, Orbiter and other Flight Simulators