Hello, old friends!
I haven't been around this place in ages, nice to see it still looks and feels the same
What began as a pair of teens making a 737 for FS2004 back in the day, escalated into two careers in game development. One of which, brought us Kerbals and sent them (mostly) to space. The other one, since last year, has been working hard on this:
MotorWings is a flight sim where you build your own airplane. It is currently free to play in a very early access stage.
Among fellow simviators, I find the whole concept can be easily explained, with accurate sub-textual implications, as: Kerbal Space Program + Crimson Skies.
There's more to it than that, of course, such as the planned RPG-esque crews&careers based gameplay, that will eventually wrap around the build-your-airplane sandbox core and turn the whole thing into a compelling gaming experience.
Naturally, since as of yet I am working basically all alone on the whole thing, I have taken a sandbox-first approach to development and intend to build up the game by layers, like the airspace around a class B airport or say, like an onion... Each update will bring more and more into the game, while the fundamental elements become playable very early in the process, then evolve by cycles of attention over each periodic release.
These are some features already implemented:
- * Realistic flight model. "Open State Parametric Airflow Simulation" works out airflow around each part and their effects on each other.
* Physics based simulation, based on Unity3d's built-in PhysX platform (same setup as KSP)
* 1000km² of Procedurally generated terrain to play around in.
* Various parts to assemble your planes with. Wings can be reshaped by tweakable settings.
* Mouse-and-Keyboard accessible controls, Joystick support coming soon.
* A vast array of upcoming features planned for ongoing development. See: Feature Gallery
At this time, the game can be played for free, no strings attached. This is so that we can build up a community of players around it for support as development unfolds.
So enjoy! And tell your fellow airmen about it. This is a brand new flight simulator in its infancy. I hope to be able to make it into a self-sustaining endeavor.
Download and Start Flying