FSW INSTALL

Other current Flight Simulators

FSW INSTALL

Postby jphespe » Fri May 26, 2017 12:17 pm

Steam/DoveTailGames, Flight Sim World..my system: HP Pavilion dv6 notebook, Win 8.1 64 bit, Intel 7 processor, 1TB HD, 8Gb RAM, Radon 6700M graphics. I currently run FSX SE on this system with nearly all settings max with excellent performance.
I downloaded FSW directly from Steam which took nearly FIVE HOURS to complete. To date I have spent something over 15 hours (most of which was consumed by waiting for the program and flight to be loaded). The following are my observations on FSW to date:
1. Excessive time to load the program to begin using it.
2. Equally excessive time to define and load flight.
3. The scenery is very poor. The airport and local terrain around them bears NO resemblance to the actual area. For example, I live in SoCal and the areas on and around KLAX,KVNY, KSNA AND KFUL are unrecognizable.
4. Really confusing to create flight plan.
5. NO ATC!!
6. Frame rates range between 4 to 11 fps.
To their credit, the modeling of the aircraft was excellent despite not being to change the HDG bug with a mouse.
Installation after the download defaulted to C:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/FSW.
Anyone else having similar problems? Guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
jphespe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: FSW INSTALL

Postby Daube » Fri May 26, 2017 12:49 pm

I'm a little bit confused by some of your comments, to be honnest.
To begin with:
jphespe wrote:1. Excessive time to load the program to begin using it.

Do you mean the time needed to reach the menu ? It's not really long is it ? I mean, it's just a few seconds or so ? :/

2. Equally excessive time to define and load flight.

You must have a problem with your computer.
Defining a flight takes the same time as with FSX, it's exactely the same choices/options anyways.
The flight loading time seems long, but mainly because we don't see the progress bar anymore.
It does take a little bit longer than stock FSX or P3D (with no addons at all), but nothing to complain about I think :/

3. The scenery is very poor. The airport and local terrain around them bears NO resemblance to the actual area. For example, I live in SoCal and the areas on and around KLAX,KVNY, KSNA AND KFUL are unrecognizable.

The scenery is exactly the same as FSX or P3D, excepted that you get FTX Global textures as a bonus. You had to download quite a lot of sceneries to make FSX/P3D look somehow acceptable, it's exactly the same with FSW. And you can just reuse your FSX sceneries in FSW, by the way.

4. Really confusing to create flight plan.

No it's not. :|
The new interface is quite pleasant and much more reactive than what it used to be in FSX or P3D.
The flight plan is defined visually and is just so easy and fast to create: just click on all of your waypoints until your landing area. What's so long about this ? If anything, this is equal or faster than what it used to be in FSX or P3D, isn't it ?

5. NO ATC!!

The sim is VFR only for the moment, so the ATC is limited to VFR stuff. This will evolve with the future updates, normally.

6. Frame rates range between 4 to 11 fps.

If you want to use modern games, you have to use reasonnably modern and powerful hardware.
Using a laptop for FSX-like simulations (FSX, FSX Steam, P3D or FSW) is a terrible idea to begin with.
Now FSW performance is not great anyways, but is being worked on by DTG. We have to wait to see what kind of optimisations they will implement.

To their credit, the modeling of the aircraft was excellent despite not being to change the HDG bug with a mouse.

I haven't tried to use the autopilot yet. Which aircraft did you use when you noticed the problem ? One or all of them ?

Installation after the download defaulted to C:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/FSW.

This is the default path but you are free to choose another destination drive, just like with FSX Steam (or any other game on Steam). ;)
My FSW is on F:\Steam Library\Steamapps\common\FSW\ :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: FSW INSTALL

Postby jphespe » Sun May 28, 2017 11:15 am

Thank you for your reply. I have since been able to obtain some troubleshooting advise on several YouTube videos as well as a DTG forum. Strange that the frame rate problems are, and have been, one of the games biggest problems. I guess that they must be all using "laptop" computers. Many functions, including ATC, are not working at this time. Scenery is still an issue in many areas, particularly SoCal. One comment on the DTG forum indicated that the full ORBX system is not ully operational in the sim as yet.

I am not a new to flight sims Neither am I new to computers. A top end laptop with an Intel i7 processor, 1 Tb hard drive, 8 GBs of RAM, and Raedon 6700 graphics which will run FSX and FSXSE will run with nearly all settings to the max should certainly be powerful enough to get acceptable performance with FSW.

Thanks again for your reply.
jphespe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Xplane, Flightgear, Orbiter and other Flight Simulators