RoF and Flight.

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

RoF and Flight.

Postby Bass » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:17 am

Just downloaded Flight and must say, ms developers has a close look at the russian Rise of Flight. Not that it matters, Rof is one of the greatest sim made till now.
Havent been reading all the post in here, but has any other RoF flyers noticed that?

And where do i get the key to go on??

Typical tropical MS  :P
Last edited by Bass on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Re: RoF and Flight.

Postby pete » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:44 pm

What key?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Strategic Retreat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:15 pm

To hear what they say about Rise of Flight, matters started with the wrong foot with that sim game too. :-X

You MUST be connected to their server to make the thing fly, even if only offline (so if their server goes so goes your sim), few planes at the moment, but FREE new ones incoming... the outside model... because the cockpits to use them ARE PAYWARE (a little like saying: this bike is totally free, but to have the handlebar and the saddle you MUST pay or do without... ouch), and to crown it all... the thing is still in beta, yet is sold too, so if you buy it, you better be aware to having been unofficially named a paying beta tester (a new software developing figure extremely appreciated even by other software houses... one who pays so they can solve their problems in a way that is for them totally free). :-?

Remembers you of something? Sure as hell remembers me of something too... something having to do with ANOTHER new GAME... :P
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby andy190 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:44 pm

RoF is actually a sim whereas Flight is a game.

Also all the planes for RoF are worth paying for.

The developers of RoF respect there users because without them they wouldn't have a job.

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby Bass » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:36 am

What key?

When i try to fly the Stearman in the Flight download, i get a popup to type keys, just like fsx!

And andy190
"RoF is actually a sim whereas Flight is a game.

The developers of RoF respect there users because without them they wouldn't have a job."

How you are right.  ;)

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:59 am

RoF is actually a sim whereas Flight is a game.

Since you are so informed, what is their position towards the forming of an eventual freeware market? Could not find any info on the net.

Matters of point of view. May I remember you that GAMERS using FLIGHT think the VERY SAME about M$ payware defaults?

The developers of RoF respect there users because without them they wouldn't have a job.

On the basis of what experience are you declaring this? Should I remember you that ON THE PAPER that is true for ALL paying enterprises, even the ones that in reality then behave the exact opposite?

Fact is that is the downsides of their current project are WAY more steep than any promised future upside. Not going to repeat myself. Already wrote about them.

Remains to understand what will they think of a potential freeware market and if it is even possible to use planes that are not confined to the years prior 1935. Biplanes can be a lot of fun, but having ONLY biplanes will get old fast.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Bass » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:01 am

"The developers of RoF respect there users because without them they wouldn't have a job."

I must say that this is true! Never have i had contact with anyone, that develope anything, and then listen so much to users as they do.  ;)

Bass
Major
Major

Postby andy190 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:52 pm

I am only speaking from my own experience with RoF & it's makers.

Since you are so informed, what is their position towards the forming of an eventual freeware market? Could not find any info on the net.

The company that makes RoF is a small company compared to MS & it couldn't survive only on sim sales alone so they probably won't turn to freeware any time soon.

This is not because they are greedy like MS, it's so they can keep on developing the sim & keep it evolving.

Biplanes can be a lot of fun, but having ONLY biplanes will get old fast.

Well they do have the Fokker D.VIII Monoplane from World War I. ;)

Fact is that is the downsides of their current project are WAY more steep than any promised future upside.

What do you mean by this?

777 are introducing the Channel Map & Seaplanes this year, along with the Airco D.H.4 & other planes yet to be announced.

Try RoF & you'll start whistling a different tune. ;)

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:40 pm

The company that makes RoF is a small company compared to MS & it couldn't survive only on sim sales alone so they probably won't turn to freeware any time soon.

This is not because they are greedy like MS, it's so they can keep on developing the sim & keep it evolving.

I wish to correct you here. M$ are not greedy. They are STUPIDLY greedy.

I call as proof of my statement the M$ Flight enterprise. One of the most effective ways to squander the followers base of a brand EVER devised in the last 50 years. I am offending NO ONE by calling what I see with its REAL NAME.

They already had a big downward hit with the unwieldy FSX (in its first years it was, beyond any reasonable doubt, when the hardware powerful enough to make it work decently was not available on the market no matter how much money you wanted to throw at it)... but now with Flight... 90% and mounting of the old followers alternating between being those strongly disappointed and others frothing at the mouth in rage... WOW! What a peerless commercial success... for X-plane. ::)

Anyway, returning to RoF, the fact that they won't allow for freeware WILL put a crimp in its potential success.

As a GAME maybe it won't be hampered, as M$ well knows. But if they have in mind to make a shoot for it to be a SIMULATOR, the absence of freeware won't let it go too far... as M$ has yet to realize.

That and, sorry, I call it a travesty the act to release the models of the planes freeware only to make one pay the cockpits. As already written, give bikes away for free, but make the ones taking those bikes pay for the handlebars and the saddle. More honest it would have been a hard-nosed approach of everything payware. Not unlike M$, who makes you pay the outer model even if with no cockpit fitted. Choosing to "give me for free" the model only to make me pay the cockpit makes me feel mocked. :(

Biplanes can be a lot of fun, but having ONLY biplanes will get old fast.

Well they do have the Fokker D.VIII Monoplane from World War I. ;)

The plane the Ford Trimotor came from, down the line... which remains STRICTLY pre-1935... no, actually it's pre-1930... if not before, even, if I'm not confusing the models. :-?

My question remains and even develops further, as you can read below.

Fact is that is the downsides of their current project are WAY more steep than any promised future upside.

What do you mean by this?

777 are introducing the Channel Map & Seaplanes this year, along with the Airco D.H.4 & other planes yet to be announced.

Try RoF & you'll start whistling a different tune. ;)

Look, I am a LOVER of older planes. I prefer classics MORE than modern kerosene burners. Yet EVEN I from time to time like to wander along the timeline.

I always like to fly the Calclassics Constellations... actually ALL their planes are just sweet (some of them payware grade given away free, those guys are simply GREAT, full stop), but from time to time I throw myself into a jaunt in the Ford Trimotor, on the Ansaldo SVA (mostly the beautiful one made for X-plane 9, but the FS one too it's not half bad), on the P-51D, and from time to time I don't disdain to jump on its jet-powered big bro, the F-86 Sabre, to burn some kerosene in the transonic range of flight speed... and on others too. Be they powered by reciprocating engines, old jet units and even turboprop, and which complete list I don't write here for reasons of time and space.

So you can see, even not having taken the commands of a simulated modern airplane for a while, my interests quite dynamically sweep all the way from 1914 to 1960 and sometimes, though rarely, even beyond this time interval.

Now, my question is: even WANTING to forget the need to be compulsively connected to their server to fly even off line (thing that could spell a premature death to the program, should said server go and remain down for whatever reason) to make the whole thing work, would RoF be able to entertain me the same way, or will it ask me to confine myself and my interests in the matter of flight simulation only in the years BEFORE the first half of the 30ies, if even THAT FAR? :-?
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Bass » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:28 am

For your info, i've mailed Viktor about this thread, and i know he's reading closely.

Just a note. I would never install an ac into cfs2 + 3, or any other sim, that were not made/flying at that time!
(Well, i did install some when i got the korean war into cfs2, but thats not cheating, or is it?)

Bass
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:03 pm

For your info, i've mailed Viktor about this thread, and i know he's reading closely.

Well, I hope he'll take all the points exposed here in consideration. :)

Just a note. I would never install an ac into cfs2 + 3, or any other sim, that were not made/flying at that time!
(Well, i did install some when i got the korean war into cfs2, but thats not cheating, or is it?)

I'm not saying that the setting of the sim in the first world war is wrong, but simply that a REAL simulator should have more flexibility and not remain rooted in those years exclusively. If someone would want to, for example, fly a Boeing 787, this someone SHOULD have the possibility.

Personally, also, I never thought of the various CFS franchise as real simulators. More like semi-games derivative from the FS version they were extruded from. I do not mean to belittle CFS, as I like to fly its various versions (all of them beside the 1, that really works bad under my Xp and I am unable to find working patches) from time to time, but here we fall in the ductility of a simulator, where you can fly everywhere, anywhere, and do anything, VS a semi-simulator the like of CFS, where you must follow the guidelines of an "adventure" under any other name. ;)
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby andy190 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:59 pm

That and, sorry, I call it a travesty the act to release the models of the planes freeware only to make one pay the cockpits. As already written, give bikes away for free, but make the ones taking those bikes pay for the handlebars and the saddle. More honest it would have been a hard-nosed approach of everything payware. Not unlike M$, who makes you pay the outer model even if with no cockpit fitted. Choosing to "give me for free" the model only to make me pay the cockpit makes me feel mocked. :(

Let me correct you. You get the payware Aircraft as AI for free & then if you want to fly them you have to pay for them. That means that you can shoot it down & assess its capabilities without buying it.

If you did not know this then you do not personally have RoF & therefor are not qualified to comment on this.

andy190
Major
Major

Postby jetprop » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:13 am

Let me correct you. You get the payware Aircraft as AI for free & then if you want to fly them you have to pay for them. That means that you can shoot it down & assess its capabilities without buying it.

If you did not know this then you do not personally have RoF & therefor are not qualified to comment on this.

He is talking about Flight I think...

Derpy derp. ;D (just kidding)
jetprop
Major
Major

Postby Bass » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:36 am

What key?

Hi again Pete.
Heres aworkaround the key problem, and what a work  ;)

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:20 PM
This is the official "workaround" from the MS Devs !!
*****************************************************************************************
Hi everyone! We've been hearing that people are getting asked for a product key when they try to log into LIVE and use Flight.

Here's a workaround -- if you run across other people having this problem, please pass it on. Thanks! :-)

Because Microsoft Flight is Free-to-Play when you sign-into LIVE for the first time through Flight a product key should be auto assigned to you. However we have noticed that some users are not getting their key auto assigned and are seeing a message asking them to enter a valid product key for the game. Here are some steps to take if you run into this issue:

Close down Flight
    Re-launch the game
    Attempt to sign-in again

If there is a 5x5 key already entered into the product key window just click

Bass
Major
Major

Postby Bass » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 am

I just deleted ms flight! Thats not me, yet.

I took a flight with my sopcamel in rof. Luckwise the engine started without blowing up, but i sure hoped i had a parachute after meeting the enemy!!
Last edited by Bass on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bass
Major
Major

Next

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'