RoF and Flight.

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: RoF and Flight.

Postby Hagar » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Beside the doubtful experiments made in England with a plane with a pushing propeller (seen once in a documentary... they were insane those Brits)

Are you calling the Airco D.H.1 & D.H.2 "doubtful experiments"?

In 1915 they were some of the planes that ended the Fokker Scourge.

Sweet God in heaven, what have you gone and recovered... the documentary I spoke about only showed what now I recognize ad the DH1 and ever since I've never found anything about it... interesting... :D

Anyway, I did not call them "useless", did I? But doubtful they do remain, though, since NO actual fighter plane has ever come out of that engine and propeller disposition. ;)

...that I know of, at least... :-?

The
Last edited by Hagar on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby andy190 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:23 pm

But doubtful they do remain, though, since NO actual fighter plane has ever come out of that engine and propeller disposition. ;)

...that I know of, at least... :-?

To list a few. ;)

SAAB J21

Kyushu J7W

Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender

Ambrosini SS.4

Northrop XP-56 Black Bullet

Vultee XP-54

You may notice that all these aircraft are from the 30's & 40's.

I did this to demonstrate that the Pusher Design was still being actively considered & tested in the lead up to the Second World War.
Last edited by andy190 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Considered and tested, maybe. Even used, like the DH2 (but only as a stop gap solution, because at the time the synchronizer was not available and it was a decision on the line of: "wanna shoot at yer enemy? This is what we have. Ye dun like it? Tough biscuits!"), yet no real...

And I mean REAL design was made that showed itself better than the tractor design, that has instead made history in the field.

Now, I am willing to consider a reluctance to invest money (in a period like the one after the first world war and before the start of the second, of recession not so much different than nowadays, but with the not little difference that THAT recession, back then, actually left people STARVING in the streets) to invest into perfecting a design that may have or may have not had promises, when they had already a proven functional design in the tractor propeller... yet, allow me to remember you that history, as a rule, is not made of "if", and this debate is getting us mired on "ifs", here. :)

Let us leave the "probably good but never explored as it probably should have deserved" for theorists of parallel worlds and realities and let's continue on our previous tracks, shall we? ;)

By the way... what were we talking about before? I forgot. :-?
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Bass » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:28 am

Now i think my topic is going too far out, so it might be a good idea to stop here.
Thanks for all your interest and replies.  ;)
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Formula_1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:23 pm

To hear what they say about Rise of Flight, matters started with the wrong foot with that sim game too. :-X

You MUST be connected to their server to make the thing fly, even if only offline (so if their server goes so goes your sim), few planes at the moment, but FREE new ones incoming... the outside model... because the cockpits to use them ARE PAYWARE (a little like saying: this bike is totally free, but to have the handlebar and the saddle you MUST pay or do without... ouch), and to crown it all... the thing is still in beta, yet is sold too, so if you buy it, you better be aware to having been unofficially named a paying beta tester (a new software developing figure extremely appreciated even by other software houses... one who pays so they can solve their problems in a way that is for them totally free). :-?

Remembers you of something? Sure as hell remembers me of something too... something having to do with ANOTHER new GAME... :P

I know this is an old post, but I just now read it, since I haven't had anything to do with MS Flight until today (and already uninstalled).
Anyway, you are not telling the truth here. I have had RoF since the day it was released. When it came out it was a full and working flight sim. It needed a couple small patches to fix some unexpected issues and one of those was to correct Vert- on triscreen systems.
About it being a beta, it IS NOT. The UPDATES and ADDITIONS are beta tested each and everyone of them, however that is done behind the scenes and the normal public IS NOT part of that process. Much has been added to the sim since release and that was the plan all along and was spoken of by the devs many times before the first release.

The planes are there for use in the game even if you don't buy them. You will fight with them on your side or as your opponent. You buy them if you think you would like to FLY them. You have a choice. But they are still added to everyones sim when they are ready.
You can play offline, though some of the features are disabled. It has been said that should the servers close, a final update will be released to un-bind the sim to the current copy protection method so no one will lose anything. In other words, if the company was to close or at the end of RoF's life cycle, it will be fixed so it no longer requires connection to work in full.

The development of RoF began around 2003. Release was 2009, I believe it was. The payware planes have helped fund further development and the sim has grown to be quite massive. Something that would have been impossible without payware additions. There has been tons of content added for free over the years since release.

Did you play a game with expansions you had to buy to play? RoF is the same thing, in a way. Only it's expansion plans are added without cost, you decide if YOU want to buy them or not. It is a continuing development game. If you don't want to buy it, that is fine, but you should not spread mis-truth about it simply because you don't agree with it's marketing. It is the best sim out right now. More advanced than anything I know of for the home PC. And I know how dedicated the devs are to this. I was very involved in the project for quite a while. These guys have a passion to create the worlds leading flight sim and that cost money. A few dollars for planes is how they fund it. You think they should work for free????

And as for MS Flight. I have NOTHING against their marketing. I am against the consolitus the game has. Terrible control options being the main thing. It is a cross bread, so PC users suffer because of it. Might work fine for a gamepad player, but lacks too much for a serious simmer with multi-function flight sim equipment. Kinda like Wings of Prey (only a bit worse than it is) and in the car games, Test Drive Unlimited 2. CONSOLITUS is a terrible disease.
Last edited by Formula_1 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Explore Everything, Then Decide
Formula_1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Strategic Retreat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:36 am

I know this is an old post, but I just now read it, since I haven't had anything to do with MS Flight until today (and already uninstalled).

<snipped>

I want only to add that the info at that time were those.

They may have been incorrect, but it hardly was my fault.

And as for MS Flight. I have NOTHING against their marketing.

I too have nothing AGAINST their marketing.

And you can rest sure that if I HAD something AGAINST it, I WOULD USE IT with ABSOLUTE PREJUDICE. >:(

I am against the consolitus the game has. Terrible control options being the main thing. It is a cross bread, so PC users suffer because of it. Might work fine for a gamepad player, but lacks too much for a serious simmer with multi-function flight sim equipment. Kinda like Wings of Prey (only a bit worse than it is) and in the car games, Test Drive Unlimited 2. CONSOLITUS is a terrible disease.

Flight was several step back from any version of FS ever since FS5.1.

There was only the island of Hawaii (ever since FS5.1 we had the whole world, yes, sometimes with little detail, but was there), one sole plane with limited functionalities (that managed to make FS DEFAULT PLANES look payware-grade GOOD... quite a feat, if you think about it), no AI traffic nor real reason to exist. WHOEVER had already ANY version of FS from FS98 forward, had something BETTER than Flight already in his or her possession, and since one can still findl copies of FS2002, FS9 and FSX for sale on Ebay and similar places, and they're cheap too...

Flight the way it was thought did not have a snowflake's chance in a nuclear blast.

As about rise of Flight... it may be a valid product, but is limited. I am a prop lover myself, but really... to limit myself to biplanes... and in a system that hasn't the whole world coverage either...

It may be INFINITELY BETTER than Flight... but it's still limited AS A SIMULATOR.

Better than a game, worse than a sim... sort of a up to date Red Baron in a lot of ways. Undoubtedly RoF has its dignity (thing that Flight could not claim to have), but it's still not for me.
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Formula_1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 am

Rise of Flight is a WWI flight sim. It isn't suppose to have Merlin powered monoplanes, jets of any type, etc. It isn't in any way limited as a simulator for what it is marketed to simulate, which again is WWI air combat around the front lines of France. Land area is growing, but the era is the same.
It has expaned some since release, but I don't think there will ever be Spitfires in it. That would be for either another sim or some major expansion.
Last edited by Formula_1 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formula_1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Strategic Retreat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:14 pm

I did not explain myself well. RoF is limited FOR ME and my needs. Not limited full stop. Having never tried it, I am not qualified to say if it has limitations of other nature.

I guess if it was a WWII flight sim, I would have already joined the premises, but that's me. Same if it was possible to have any kind of plane in it.

Remains not a whole world covered simulator though, THIS is why I defined more a game than a sim, which is NOT a dismissal, simply a categorization. At least for me.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Formula_1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:06 pm

I guess if it was a WWII flight sim, I would have already joined the premises, but that's me.

Maybe one day, I don't know. It would be a different title though, of that I feel pretty certain. Personally I would hope their next sim be Koran War era. Both land based and carrier planes. I would love a really good sim with the F-9F Panther, MiG 15, F-86, F-4U, F-51, etc, etc.

I know there was one in the works but was put on hold for Storm of War. I don't know if that project has been taken back up or not. Anyway, it is something I would simply love. But I don't think it would cover the entire world, just the Korean peninsula and surrounding seas, most likely.
Last edited by Formula_1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formula_1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Strategic Retreat » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:04 am

The Korean conflict is something I don't really have feelings for, being Italian and having we had no part in it... and if you add that I'm a convinced propeller-head who believes that in WWII, with the ME262, the AR234 and the Gloster Meteor, there were just TOO MANY jet fighters already...
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'