MS Flight CANCELLED.

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

MS Flight CANCELLED.

Postby MOUSY » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:20 am

So the premature birth of Flight subsequently lead to an early death:

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/2 ... s-projects

A sad day for the 35 people who lost their job. But I can't say I'm not happy to hear that this poor excuse for a sim has been cancelled. Maybe now MS will "realign" its "portfolio" and put together a similar team to ACES to make a new sim which lives up to being the successor of FS9 and FSX.
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1379790172.png[/img]
Current Work in Progress: CaribSky: GrenadaX
[url]www.facebook.com/richersimulations[/url][/align]
MOUSY
Major
Major

Re: MS Flight CANCELLED.

Postby ArcticFox » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:03 am

This is a perfect example of pleasing noone by trying to please everyone. It amazes me how a huge company like MS are idiotic enoguh to think you can casualise what is essentially the least casual genre ever.

You want my advice MS? Make a proper Flight Sim 11 with a great globe and improved modern graphics. Second: add alot of mission structure and tutorials and aids for new guys and girls to feel it's easy to get into.

Flight Simming is fun and not that hard: it's just a ridiculous initial learning curve and if you can make that super easy and then have loads of missions and campaigns after that I believe you can make a hugely successful flight sim.
[ASUS P8H67]- [Intel core5 2500k]- [4gb Corsair DDR] - [Asus 560ti]
ArcticFox
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:26 am

I think MS Flight was flawed at the concept.

Too little for the gamer
Too little for the Flightsimmer

Add to that:
Last edited by pete on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby alrot » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:31 am

Microsoft tried to destroy this community ,a community that wasn't intended to exist by them , instead of Join it and even be proud

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Cusance » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:53 am

I am not sure if MS can now come back into the Flight sim market. I think they sold all rights to FSX a while ago and I cant see them investing in a studio like ACES when they have this FLIGHT failure on their hands. I think MS is out of the Flight Simming business. :(
this is such a shame when ACES was so close with FSX11. (allegedly) ;)
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ftldave » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:34 am

[quote] Microsoft tried to destroy this community ,a community that wasn't intended to exist by them , instead of Join it and even be proud

Alex
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Strategic Retreat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 am

I do not want to gloat, nor to seem smug... but it's inevitable I will... after all, like others the caliber of Alrot, I did bet on a short life of this offensive attempt at milking the FS users base of "money for nothing and chicks for free" without getting good music in exchange either, if you allow me the citation.

And here I am, together with all my chaps users and believers in the FS formula, having the last laugh IN YOUR FACE M$. So good to be right. Makes my current illness feel a little better (having had the trots for a week now, I'm under heavy medications and really in a bad shape, but slowly getting better... especially now that I get to see M$ eat back its dear Flight with tears as dressing).

And I'm sorry Dave, but you may have not looked at Flight for the I dare call it sinister attempt it was, to transform a community of intelligent and cultured people the like WE ARE in merely a barn full of dumb money-cows good only to be milked for all their worth.

I said it before and repeat it now. Not every free person is willing to chain him or herself down only for your interests, M$ dear. You chose to try and transform your market base in an Apple-like copycat in the hope of drain US of our money for the merest stupidity you generously made available like Apple does to THEIR market base?

Wake up and smell the coffee, M$ dear. Not everyone is that... naive.

Damn politeness to the deepest of the circles of Eternal Hell! What I REALLY meant to write was: "idiotic"! :P
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby MOUSY » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:45 pm

ArticFox I agree with your comment 100%. MS were taking the right direction in adding missions to FS. I would think they were making the right step to attract a fan base which wanted an easier way to enjoy flight. More missions and tutorials on a global scale through GFWL would have worked well.

Instead we were left with a shallow, 2-us-state, "arcade style" sim that left nothing to hold the interest of newer fans for more than a few weeks and even less to keep the aviation fanatics.

I'm praying that MS learns and FS11 follows with the essence of FSX and the engine of Flight.
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1379790172.png[/img]
Current Work in Progress: CaribSky: GrenadaX
[url]www.facebook.com/richersimulations[/url][/align]
MOUSY
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:40 pm

All the speculation and arguments before Flight was released was more fun than the game itself. And as a side note, I think these developers all knew damn well that Flight would Flop. A publicly traded industry never, in all of stock market history, has listened to the consumer.
Last edited by Steve M on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby alrot » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:15 pm

[quote]All the speculation and arguments before Flight was released was more fun than the game itself. And as a side note, I think these developers all knew damn well that Flight would Flop. A publicly traded commodity never, in all of stock market history, has listened to the consumer.
Last edited by alrot on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Steve M » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:11 pm

[quote][quote]All the speculation and arguments before Flight was released was more fun than the game itself. And as a side note, I think these developers all knew damn well that Flight would Flop. A publicly traded commodity never, in all of stock market history, has listened to the consumer.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby andy190 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Whilst I'm not going to pretend I'm sad about MS Flight dying or the Workers being laid off I am sad that so many members of this close-knit Forum had to go before Flight Died.

I'm still mourning the fact that BradonF & other long term members have pretty much left because of arguments over this stupid game (Flight).

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby expat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:01 pm

I take no pleasure in reading that people are now out of a job, but it is solely the making of MS. They asked, and did not listen to the answers they got, did their own thing and have now suffered the consequences. As usual a bean counter in the back room looked at the picture and though he could make a load of money by charging for everything. But for me that was not the problem. It was too gamey and the graphics were at best pants!

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:21 am

No problem for me!... :)...!

It was a short experience...
I gave it a try, it didn't really suit me, so, as usual, I am back to having loads of fun every day, with my trusty FS 2004 (and FSX).

It was free, so, nothing lost, for me... :)...!

Paul... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]....!
Last edited by Fozzer on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby F35LightningII » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:42 am

If you want MS to continue the FS franchise, "like" this FB page: https://www.facebook.com/bringbackfs
Last edited by F35LightningII on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
i5 3570K @ 4.3GHz, ASRock Z77 Pro3, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Samsung 830, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, Thermaltake Armor A60, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Logitech K800, Logitech M510, Windows 8 Pro x64, FSX Acceleration
F35LightningII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'