Should this Board be Moved?

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: Should this Board be Moved?

Postby Steve M » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:14 pm

I don't care anymore where the 'Flight' board is located. I've been reading speculation and opinions for well over a year and even offered up a few of my thoughts now and then. Microsoft wants your money, so the chance of seeing another open source type of simulator from MS in the future, is dead and buried. So if you like Flight, then happy trails to you. If you don't like it, you know the path to take.  8-)    
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby JoBee » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:42 pm

[quote]No, actually, it's not.
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby Camel_Moe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Ahhh, ok, I see where I lost you. I'm refering to quantity, not quality.
"Comparable content" in the extreme sense would be a quantity of scenery, aircraft, features, etc, equal to what MSFS has out of the box.
However, say for me, I need at minimum, the whole US. Going by the current prices and areas available, a pretty safe guess for me to do that would be at least $100, probably more, and not including new aircraft.
Ok, so I plunk down, say, $130 for the entire US, and some planes. I've allready more than doubled what I had to spend JUST to do what I do with MSFS in the US, still minus frills like AI. Never mind the rest of the world for this example. Just pretend all I needed was the US, and I was willing to pay that much to use it in Flight.
So now the question is, for a "Flight 2", do I have to start over and plunk that money down to get the same stuff again?
Alternately, is there a "Flight 2" where I can still use my previous "flight 1" DLC, but I now have very little reason to invest because I have all I want, and thus MS makes significantly less from me?
Last possible scenario, is "Flight 1" all there ever is untill it becomes obsolete, and that's the end of the Flight series? Fini. No more.
That's where we were going with it.

As for the OT.....My bad, I think I derailed us on page 2, talking about Wiki.... :-[
Last edited by Camel_Moe on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB
Camel_Moe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Wing Nut » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:04 pm

I think to get Flight quality visuals in FSX most people spend hundreds of dollars on Ultimate Terrain, GEX, FEX, REX, Active Sky, addon airports, you can go to Orbx alone and spend close to a grand.

You forgot SEX!  Sound Environment Extreme...   :D
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Aren't you glad you asked the question, Pete?   ;D

best,

.............john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Camel_Moe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:28 am

[quote]Aren't you glad you asked the question, Pete?
Last edited by Camel_Moe on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Camel_Moe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 am

You're right moe ... it wouldn't make any difference ...

I usually arrange boards in terms of relevance to this site and popularity ....

So .... I can see the 'Flight' board being moved down to the bottom of this section once the novelty has worn off .... & then let's see where it goes in terms of what people are saying  about it ...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby alrot » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:05 pm

So .... I can see the 'Flight' board being moved down to the bottom of this section once the novelty has worn off .....

you wont have to wait too long anyways..

6 month max.......

Alex
Last edited by alrot on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jetprop » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:00 pm

OK,people.

Those who say that you need to spend loads on FSX to make it as good as flight are wrong.

I use a pc of roughly 300/400 euro,FSX for 20 euro and the rest is all freeware,and look at my shots!
I run it at 12-20 FPS with most setting near/at the top wich is all I need.
jetprop
Major
Major

Postby Camel_Moe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:11 pm

OK,people.

Those who say that you need to spend loads on FSX to make it as good as flight are wrong.

I use a pc of roughly 300/400 euro,FSX for 20 euro and the rest is all freeware,and look at my shots!
I run it at 12-20 FPS with most setting near/at the top wich is all I need.

Heck, since 1982 I could count all the payware I bought on one hand, up untill last month that is. Now all my saved "just in case there is an FS11" hardware money is being thrown at payware like ORBX and REX, Corenado, Just Flight, etc.
Last edited by Camel_Moe on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camel_Moe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flight Ace » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Pete,

Great choice and your justification for it is sound.

I just picked up on an article in the Wall Street Journal and thought it should be posted as a separate subject, however I am posting it here since the discussion reference this article was discussed here.

Here is the Headline in the Marketplace Section of the Wall Street Journal I received this morning.

"End of Era for Britannica"

Here are a couple of quotes from the article.

"But the company has a long way to go before it can touch the online presence of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia supported by the nonprofit Wikipedia Foundation. Wikipedia appears as the No 1 result on Google for 56% of searches, according to a 2012 study by Intelligent Positioning Ltd , a U.K. based agency that helps business increase their online traffic."

Mr. Cauz, President of Encyclopedia Britannica, said, and again I quote.

"The company has already taken other pages out of Wikipedias's book. Britannica on line allows readers to make revisions to the encyclopedia articles which are then published by editors after a review process."

My source for the above is the latest press release of the Wall Street Journal. Makes me wonder, will some Universities now black list Britannica?
1.   Chaser MK-1 Full Tower ATX Computer Case
2.   Core i7 3770K 1155 Processor OC to 4.7 GHz
3.   ASUS Maximus V Gene Motherboard
4.   EVGA GTX580 1536MB Video Card
5.   16 GB C8 G.SKI
Flight Ace
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Camel_Moe » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:42 pm

It is my understanding that the Britannica review process will remain very much the same, so I would imagine the objections to referencing the Britannica online will be about what they are now.  It's not like people will be able to make changes "wiki style", on the fly.
However, universities generally frown on using the encyclopedia has a primary reference already.

Camel_Moe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby striker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Heck, since 1982 I could count all the payware I bought on one hand, up untill last month that is. Now all my saved "just in case there is an FS11" hardware money is being thrown at payware like ORBX and REX, Corenado, Just Flight, etc

Hey don't support Carenado man - they are the ones being paid highly making the planes for M$ Flight and making a good killing from M$ by doing this. Also some of the other scenery guys are contracted to M$ for lots of $$$$. Not sure which ones making scenery but I know for sure Carenado is making props for MS Flight.
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby andy190 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Heck, since 1982 I could count all the payware I bought on one hand, up untill last month that is. Now all my saved "just in case there is an FS11" hardware money is being thrown at payware like ORBX and REX, Corenado, Just Flight, etc

Hey don't support Carenado man - they are the ones being paid highly making the planes for M$ Flight and making a good killing from M$ by doing this. Also some of the other scenery guys are contracted to M$ for lots of $$$$. Not sure which ones making scenery but I know for sure Carenado is making props for MS Flight.

And where did you read that Carenado are making Props for Flight?

It doesn't matter if Carenado are making Props for Flight, if we buy their FSX stuff more than their Flight stuff then they will realise what they've signed up for.

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby Wing Nut » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Man, where do people get this stuff...   ::)
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'