Further observation with the Stearman

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Further observation with the Stearman

Postby ramjet2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:41 pm

I read some posts from users of Flight who were having good results with the addon planes. I gave in to curiosity and signed up with Windows Live so I could get the free Stearman. Its a nice looking plane with a good panel but few controls. Its easy to take off and fly and I thought I knew how to land a plane until I tried this one. I could get it down but I couldn't control it on the RW and crashed over and over. I decided to keep trying until I got it but there will be a lot of unhappy pilots who won't.

I think anyone looking for realism or an an action filled experience will look elsewhere. For me the most attractive aspect of Flight is that is a fun flying game and it works well on my laptop. Its nothing like FSX with addons and I will stay with FSX until something works better.

good flights, Cal
ramjet2
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Further observation with the Stearman

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm

I'm curious to know what it runs like in Multiplayer, but I am reluctant to go through the whole, (unnecessary?); "Windows Live" malarkey, simply to get connected!

We don't have to go through that lark with FS Host, to connect to the Flight Sim Servers!

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby machineman9 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:13 pm

I'm curious to know what it runs like in Multiplayer, but I am reluctant to go through the whole, (unnecessary?); "Windows Live" malarkey, simply to get connected!

We don't have to go through that lark with FS Host, to connect to the Flight Sim Servers!

Paul.

The multiplayer is fine, it's just like FS9 or FSX's. People are either in free flight, or doing missions, in the same party.

It's only a 5 minute process to set everything up for Live - You just need to create an account. I support Live (not Flight), and it's a reliable service. I've had better success with it than FS Host or Gamespy.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Wing Nut » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:43 pm

I flew a Stearman once.  I don't remember it handling anything like this...  :P
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Paul.

The multiplayer is fine, it's just like FS9 or FSX's. People are either in free flight, or doing missions, in the same party.

It's only a 5 minute process to set everything up for Live - You just need to create an account. I support Live (not Flight), and it's a reliable service. I've had better success with it than FS Host or Gamespy.

When FSX first came out we were "instructed/insisted" to connect to "Gamespy" for Multiplayer Activity, which caused much alarm and confusion, so very few folks used Multiplayer...
..then is was found that a simple, direct connection could be made through FS Host Client, with the same facilities as FS 2002 and FS 2004...
..which ceased to be alarming and confusing!

Now we seem to be "instructed" again to sign into; "Windows Live" to connect to Multiplayer Flight... >:(...

....and I, personally, have got no further interest, or use, for the various "services" of "Windows Live", and having to Sign into such a Windows Service is something which I would rather not get involved in!
I don't need it for Mail, Messenger, Movie maker, Chat, Purchase, Sell, Weather forecast, Times of the last Trains, etc..or any other unnecessary Windows activity...

I just want a simple, instant connection to Flight Multiplayer, without signing-up for anything!

I love NOT signing-up for unnecessary things... :)..!

Paul... ;)...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby machineman9 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:55 pm

When FSX first came out we were "instructed/insisted" to connect to "Gamespy" for Multiplayer Activity, which caused much alarm and confusion, so very few folks used Multiplayer...
..then is was found that a simple, direct connection could be made through FS Host Client, with the same facilities as FS 2002 and FS 2004...
..which ceased to be alarming and confusing!

Now we seem to be "instructed" again to sign into; "Windows Live" to connect to Multiplayer Flight... >:(...

....and I, personally, have got no further interest, or use, for the various "services" of "Windows Live", and having to Sign into such a Windows Service is something which I would rather not get involved in!
I don't need it for Mail, Messenger, Movie maker, Chat, Purchase, Sell, Weather forecast, Times of the last Trains, etc..or any other unnecessary Windows activity...

I just want a simple, instant connection to Flight Multiplayer, without signing-up for anything!

I love NOT signing-up for unnecessary things... :)..!

Paul... ;)...!

Well, it's useful if you want to create a gamer profile, or want to easily connect with your friends. I have  'achievements' and other profile perks associated with my account... But I have had it since 2003/2004.

I'm not aware of a way to connect to a specific user's game (or search for a user) on FSHost. Whereas, with Live, I can add them as a friend... Or search for them... And join their game directly. I can even invite them to my game (or block them/kick them out of my game if they're annoying me).

It's about the bigger picture - I use Messenger, Hotmail, Xbox Live, etc. All the services connect together, so it's useful for me. I can see why it might be unneccessary for you - But it's still a good service. It's free, so it just takes a few minutes to set up.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Mike.. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:46 pm

I had to get Windows Live just to pay for a xbox live account to watch streamming movies from Netflix on it. On my PS3 it was free but it finally died on me. But anyway...

So,you can use Windows Live for multiplayer FSX? If so, it has to be better than the default gamespy. Everytime I leave a session in FSX it completely kicks me back to retyping my password to get in. Or once loaded and I can get off the ground it locks up and goes into fatal error and I have to reboot the whole thing. Only does it with multiplayer FSX..
Mike..
Major
Major

Postby andy190 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:00 pm

I had to get Windows Live just to pay for a xbox live account to watch streamming movies from Netflix on it. On my PS3 it was free but it finally died on me. But anyway...

So,you can use Windows Live for multiplayer FSX? If so, it has to be better than the default gamespy. Everytime I leave a session in FSX it completely kicks me back to retyping my password to get in. Or once loaded and I can get off the ground it locks up and goes into fatal error and I have to reboot the whole thing. Only does it with multiplayer FSX..

No you can't use Windows Live for multiplayer in FSX. ;)

We use FSHost client for multiplayer.

It means we can connect with FS9 & FS8 players on an FSHost server.

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'