Love it or leave it

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: Love it or leave it

Postby Groundbound1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Picture it:

Reno! There you are, a beginner to the racing circuit. Your goal is to win races, win prize money, gain xp, "soup-up " your aircraft, win more money ect.

Sort of a "Gran Tourismo" for the air. THAT, I might have paid for.

It vaguely touches on that. There are a few missions where you must fly through goals within a time limit. Fast fast, flow low... Go left, right, up and down! I think you can fly those missions on multiplayer....

Vaguely touching on it is my point. If they had grabbed the idea with both hands and rode it like a ...ahem
Last edited by Groundbound1 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Postby Boikat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:44 pm

I give it a "Meh".   It seems to me that it is waaaaaay toooo restrictive to what I like.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Major
Major

Postby andy190 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:00 pm

I also give it a "Meh". It's a good game but not a sim which is what we wanted it to be.

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby FoxThree » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:06 pm

HMMM...I did not get it downloaded...

It asked for:
-telephone number
-street address
-etc...etc

If it is Free why do they need that information?

Just download it from Flight's website and no personal info will need to be entered. ;)
FoxThree
Captain
Captain

Postby Stubbedtoe18 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Having played it I love the game.  It performs much better on higher settings than FSX does.  It's also very easy to use in terms of the map, I cannot believe all of the crap it's getting from people.

That being said, this game will be WAY too damn expensive to maintain or keep interesting with the current lack of free user material and only two planes being offered standard (I have a Live account of course, what a great feature to have this integrated).  I don't want to have to pay significant amounts of money to get a single plane beyond the two originals, that is outrageous. 
Stubbedtoe18
Captain
Captain

Postby andy190 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:07 pm

It's a game not a Sim, if you are a Hard-core Simmer you should know that. I have never said Flight is no good I just said it's not a Sim.

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby gregj » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:15 am

COMPLETE JOKE...THE PUNCHLINE IS THE GAME ITSELF.....WTG MS way to Fuk up a franchise
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Intel I-7 3770K
EVGA 670 4GB
16 Ghz Corsair Dominator
Barracuda 1-TB
gregj
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:51 am

HMMM...I did not get it downloaded...

It asked for:
-telephone number
-street address
-etc...etc

If it is Free why do they need that information?

Just download it from Flight's website and no personal info will need to be entered. ;)

Thanks. Half-way through downloading it I got this error.

I won't waste any more time on it.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:17 am

Clicking the Support button isn't much help.

It appears you've found a glitch in the system.

Yes, it looks like I have. ::)
Last edited by Hagar on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:01 am

Well Chums... ::)...

I picked a quiet time this morning when all our American friends were tucked up safely in bed, and downloaded, and installed the program quite quickly, with no problems...

First impressions....

Far too; "Organised" for my liking!

I am being "controlled" by an extremely annoying female Instructor, being told what to do, and when to do it, when all I want to do is; "free flight" where I want to go, and what I want to do!...(like the the other MS Flight Sims).

Its a totally different experience to what we have been used to, in all the other versions of the MS Flight Sims.

Different Flight Sims for different Flight Sim "types".... ;)...!

Anyway...I've tried out out..so that's sorted...now back to normal.. ;)... ;D...!

Paul...FS 2004... :-*...!

Flight = Wipeout... Wipeout ...but in an aeroplane!

I suspect that the Microsoft Programmers have done a very good job of providing a; "Flying Game" for "Gamer-types".

If they are generally interested in proper Flight Sims, they may migrate to FSX, etc.. ;)...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:02 am

Personally, I think it will die a slow but quiet death. The gamers will get tired of it as you cannot kill/shoot anything and the true simmers will get fed up with having to buy, buy, buy to literally get anywhere. I think it is a huge opportunity missed. So lets all meet back here this time next year and see where it is at, or not as the case may be :-/ :-/

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ramjet2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:45 pm

I just downloaded it to my Asus 73W laptop. It looks good but I flew horribly using a mouse and trying to push the nose down by pulling back, just the opposite of my yoke.

After a few "missions" I understand I will be able to do freeflights and be more immersed and get to fly alone. I agree that this is game-like but it is a well crafted game and is stage one. Too tame for kids and to automatic for simmers, the target group appears to be casual players and those who will use it on a pad or phone to kill time.

I don't think I'll hang up the ol' FSX yet. As another wise member said, " make your buying decisions for the next few years of enjoyment because flight simming as we know it may not be around in five years.

Cal
ramjet2
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Steve M » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:05 pm

My vote was mehh.. I once said in another thread I would wait to download it until I heard from others who had. Some say Flight has promise, but give it time to morph into a better game, as MS develops more options. So.. that is the approach I'm taking, I'll wait a few more months. ;) 
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby jankees » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:52 am

never got it to connect to Live, and not for lack of trying, so utterly pointless in the end, I left it...
Last edited by jankees on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jankees
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:11 pm

For some magic reason I managed to get into "Free Flight", and get the Map, maybe because I had successfully completed the first task.... ::)....
...anyway...
I thought I would try a careful landing in a clear space, in a field, with the wheels down, (like we do in our usual Flight Sims)...
It didn't seem to work. (It buried itself into the ground scenery!).
It looks as though we always have to land on a proper airfield runway!
..so no off-airfield, countryside explorations?.... :'(...!
Another noticeable thing...the ground is very "Blurry" at low level, even at maximum graphics settings...MUCH worse than our FS9/FSX Sims...(which are very good).

Paul...Still experimenting!... ;)... :)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'