Love it or leave it

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Love it or leave it

Postby Groundbound1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:34 am

Even though I have no interest in trying it, I'd still like to know what other Simmers think about it.
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Re: Love it or leave it

Postby machineman9 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:01 am

I think the poll is very extreme... I don't think either of it. I'm not impressed by the game, but I know that it will expand and become a lot more. So the future may be promising, but I'm not convinced for now.

I'll keep it because it's doing no harm to keep it, and some of the missions can be fun... But it isn't a sim (not that anyone thought otherwise)
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Groundbound1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 am

I think the poll is very extreme... I don't think either of it. I'm not impressed by the game, but I know that it will expand and become a lot more. So the future may be promising, but I'm not convinced for now.

I'll keep it because it's doing no harm to keep it, and some of the missions can be fun... But it isn't a sim (not that anyone thought otherwise)

Good point. Judging from what I've read so far, most people either love it or hate it. (That was the reason for only the two choices.) I've added a third. Kinda just wanted to have one thread solely for first impressions.  ;)
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:43 pm

HMMM...I did not get it downloaded...

It asked for:
-telephone number
-street address
-etc...etc

If it is Free why do they need that information?

If I want to purchase or add to it then that would be different but being a Free Download...no way... :)
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Stubbedtoe18 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Just so you know, having this poll not show the results until "all of the results are counted" helps absolutely no one.
Last edited by Stubbedtoe18 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stubbedtoe18
Captain
Captain

Postby Groundbound1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:14 pm

[quote]Just so you know, having this poll not show the results until "all of the results are counted" helps absolutely no one.
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Postby Stubbedtoe18 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks man, sorry for being rude about it.

I gotta say I'm excited.  It's in the process of connecting to my Xbox Live account which I did not even anticipate was going to be a feature.  Thankfully I also have my joystick with me here at school.  I'm hoping for the best!
Stubbedtoe18
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:19 pm

It asked for:
-telephone number
-street address
-etc...etc

If I want to purchase or add to it then that would be different but being a Free Download...no way... :)

I would have to agree with that Doug. I'll give it a miss.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby machineman9 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:35 pm

It asked for:
-telephone number
-street address
-etc...etc

You require a 'Live' account to sign in, so that's what that's for. They do have a free service (silver) and the full service (gold)... So it's just incase you want to purchase anything or upgrade your account. I'm not sure if your Hotmail ID would work either, if you have one of those (for MSN Messenger and the such).

It will only take a few minutes to do, I've had mine for the best part of a decade, so I can just sign in. Perhaps not worth it for Flight, but GFWL does offer some good games... I was able to get Age of Empires III for a quid  ;D
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby andy190 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 pm

I just want to clear this up for everybody. Flight is fun but it's not a sim & it's not a game either.

It's about 80% Game 20% sim. Flight is not going to replace FSX.

The payware Maule for it, while it looks nice is not up to FSX payware quality freeware standards, and I believe that the Maule is the best aircraft in Flight.

Also FSX aircraft aren't compatible. To Quote David Brice:

[ch8206].pak files contain the structure and content, however the FSX model format appears to be completely removed and the content is for the most part is all binary (SPB or DLL) so impossible to decipher (if reverse engineering and breaching the EULA is your cup of tea).

I'm not "Hating" Flight I'm just informing everyone that it's not a Sim.
Last edited by andy190 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm not "Hating" Flight I'm just informing everyone that it's not a Sim.

It is what it is, but it's not what we wanted.

I don't really know any generation of gamer who would want it. The achievements seem to limit the possibilities to just Hawaii, so it feels like a one island deal. Heck, when I fly on FSX I usually travel miles between islands (England onto Europe)  :P
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Zaku » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Meh.  It's free, I can't complain too much.  And it's still a sim with pretty realistic flight dynamics once you enable all of the realism settings.  The missions capture the feel of GA pretty accurately.

I get enough of GA in real life, though.  I want (free, third party) jet fighters. :/  Being able to edit textures like those godawful clouds would be nice, too.
Zaku
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Groundbound1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Again, speaking based only on what I've seen and read, it seems as though the designers got into a sort of "tug-of-war" between making Flight a sim or a game. Seeing what was released, apperently, it was a draw. If they had gone harder in one direction, OR the other, it might have been better.

Picture it:

Reno! There you are, a beginner to the racing circuit. Your goal is to win races, win prize money, gain xp, "soup-up " your aircraft, win more money ect.

Sort of a "Gran Tourismo" for the air. THAT, I might have paid for.
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Picture it:

Reno! There you are, a beginner to the racing circuit. Your goal is to win races, win prize money, gain xp, "soup-up " your aircraft, win more money ect.

Sort of a "Gran Tourismo" for the air. THAT, I might have paid for.

It vaguely touches on that. There are a few missions where you must fly through goals within a time limit. Fast fast, flow low... Go left, right, up and down! I think you can fly those missions on multiplayer....
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby JBaymore » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:16 pm

It asked for:
-telephone number
-street address
-etc...etc

Because they likely want to use it for MARKETING other stuff ....... selling your data to other companies.   ::)

best,

......................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'