I tried. I really did.

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

I tried. I really did.

Postby jimm57 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm sorry Microsoft. I tried your Flight game, and I really wanted to like it. But....

First let me say I've been with flight sims seriously since FS5, that ol' DOS beauty with the green square land class and Meigs field. Eventually got FS9, and am now using FSX with all the bells & whistles, add on payware scenery, ORBX, a TON of freeware aircraft from here and some payware aircraft. I use the Saitek yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant. Its great!

So at the advice of a few SimV guys on these forums, I downloaded Flight last week and gave it a shot. First time out I was frustrated with the instructor, the scenery, and the new keys I had to use. Today I gave another run at it. Played the game for an hour. Nope. Dont like it compared to what I have with FSX. Dont like the game feature and not much else.

Just got done uninstalling it, along with the MS Game stuff it comes with and did a nice defrag and optimization. I feel better already. :)

Your mileage may vary, but MS Flight is just not for me.
jimm57
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: I tried. I really did.

Postby alrot » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 pm

:-/You absolutely right ,among many other things the change of the keys its one of the worse bad choices of M$
Last edited by alrot on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:43 pm

There's plenty of spare room on my Hard Drive, so "Flight" will stay there, for me to have a tinkle with, now and again.
(No benefit in me getting rid of it, after installing it successfully).
Its useful for comparing the difference to my other Flight Sims.

...and maybe, it might improve over time?...(stuff for free?)... ::)....!

Paul... 8-)...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby alrot » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:02 pm

There's plenty of spare room on my Hard Drive, so "Flight" will stay there, for me to have a tinkle with, now and again.
(No benefit in me getting rid of it, after installing it successfully).
Its useful for comparing the difference to my other Flight Sims.

...and maybe, it might improve over time?...(stuff for free?)... ::)....!

Paul... 8-)...!

me too Paul ,me too,I agree same as you do ,its free after all ,but I was looking the windows live sign in ID and I got a hint that it could be the reason my Internet speed becomes slow ,
I'm not sure and neither saying that its because of that, anyways I'm  looking it very close   

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:37 pm

..its that; "Windows Live" thing, that confuses me!
I have never had any reason to get involved with it before, and have had no use for it, so I'm confused as to what it does, in relation to; "Flight"?.
Is it required/essential for on-line Multiplayer?

I only use my normal Web E-Mail for communicating with other Folks...no other method, apart from letter post and land-line telephone.

So what is this; "Windows Live" malarkey all about?

Paul... 8-)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby andy190 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Yes Fozzer Unfortunately Windows Live is required for online gameplay*.

Also if you register Flight with Windows Live you get a free Stearman.

But it's not really worth the effort.

*Gameplay not multiplayer. It

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:09 pm

[quote]Yes Fozzer Unfortunately Windows Live is required for online gameplay*.

Also if you register Flight with Windows Live you get a free Stearman.

[glow=yellow,2,300]But it's not really worth the effort.[/glow]

*Gameplay not multiplayer. It
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby garryrussell » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:19 am

Don't compare it to FS.X or FS.9 for that matter  :-?

This is something else :o.

Treat is as such as use it thus

No one is saying this is a replacement for anything that has gone before

This is a game and there is nothing stopping anyone having this, and FS.X plus FS.9 on their system and switch between.

I never understood why downloading FS.X meant to so many simmers that FS.9 had to go.

The same thing seems to be happening to a lesser extent with Flight, thinking that downloading this is the end of FS.X

That will come when the individual user decides for uninstall and not before.
:)
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:49 am

[quote]Don't compare it to FS.X or FS.9 for that matter
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby andy190 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I never understood why downloading FS.X meant to so many simmers that FS.9 had to go.

The same thing seems to be happening to a lesser extent with Flight, thinking that downloading this is the end of FS.X

I believe people did & do this because they think that the older simulator is worthless now that there is a newer one.

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:05 pm

I haven't heard many comments about the multiplayer mode in Flight, via Windows Live. Just wondering if it's a zoo full of monkeys, or if it's a fun, simple thing that avoids all that friggen port setting. I have a windows Live account already and haven't downloaded MSF yet. I always thought multiplayer could be Flights forte.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby jandjfrench » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Regarding multiplayer:  I had never tried multiplayer before but one hour is required to unlock one of the paint schemes.  I selected quick match and when I saw other players names I just just went about my business.  I saw other players doing their thing.  Today I was doing something and other players popped up.  I had neglected to get out of multiplayer.  I had some nice interaction via text and voice.  No problems with either.

Jim F.
jandjfrench
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ramjet2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Its free after all.

A lot of people have weighed in on MS Flight and I have decided to try it and see what I think.

1. I'm not going to complain about the download time now that its on my computer. It loads fast, is pretty simple to use and I did the first 2 missions using my laptop's touchpad for control but now I have hooked up my joystick and it is a great improvement in controling the plane.

The Ikon is not a plane I would choose but it was free and it works well enough for my first trial flights. The scenery is pretty good and I won't compare it to anything else because it was free. I do like flying in the clouds and the wind noise and turbulence feels pretty believable.

I am going to keep Flight installed. It isn't going to replace FSX but it its flying and it works on my laptop which can't handle FSX. I'll try some missions and challenges and work on my skills and perhaps buy an addon or two.  I like having that opportunity to fly on a portable laptop when I can't get to my regular "cockpit".

I would say it is worth checking out, especially for the price.

good flights, Cal
ramjet2
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'