TRUTH about MS/FLIGHT Read !!!

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

TRUTH about MS/FLIGHT Read !!!

Postby Jetranger » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 am

heres an intersting take on the MS/FLIGHT  Link------} http://flightsimplaza.com/fsblog/?p=1480 
Jetranger
Major
Major

Re: TRUTH about MS/FLIGHT Read !!!

Postby Groundbound1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:05 pm

***Caution, Rant ahead***

I for one won't even be downloading it to try it. Will MS care? Probably not. Will that bring the ACES back? Certainly not. If enough people pitch a fit to MS, will they change their minds about releasing Flight as a "pay as you go" entity? Highly doubtful. It's simply the principle of it. The software game used to be consumer driven. Software was needed or desired to fill a consumer's needs, the software companies (not just Microsoft) would then respond to fill that need. Now it's the other way around. The software companies (again, not just Microsoft) are dictating to the consumers, and basically telling THEM "how it's going to be". Messing with their quarterly fiscal report seems to be the only message software companies (all companies, for that matter) understand.

So again, I won't even TRY MS Flight. Not now, not ever. (And if more people were willing take this kind of stand, maybe the ACES would still be around)

"They turned their backs on us after all." ~Fran
Last edited by Groundbound1 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Postby ArcticFox » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Wow... MS live eh... yeah no thanks.
I pray to God they have no success with it in any way
[ASUS P8H67]- [Intel core5 2500k]- [4gb Corsair DDR] - [Asus 560ti]
ArcticFox
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby silverserpent » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:00 pm

amen to that.
Xboxlive Gamertag: Bustergundam
silverserpent
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Dave71K » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Hear, hear.

I love his qoute
Dave71K

Postby pete » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:28 am

Nice honest article. Perhaps the optimists (& I don't blame them - we all wanted to be optimists) - will
Last edited by pete on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JBaymore » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:28 am

Gamers (who this is aimed at) want action and excitement. Flight does not offer that

Flight Simmers want realism - to pretend we are flying for real. Flight does not offer that.

It is truly hard to fathom how a group of mature, intelligent people could sit in a meetting room and not come to the same conclusion as that exact pairing of statements and realize that they were inventing a product that basically no one will actually want.
Last edited by JBaymore on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dave71K » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:36 am

@Pete
That just seems totally bizarre, I honestly thought they would release the rest of the world at some point but if they're not I really don't see the point in the whole exercise.
It doesn't seem to offer enough scope for anyone to want it what so ever. It's a free demo that will never become more than a demo, very strange indeed.
I really don't see why Microsoft bothered, it's not going to be a huge multi-million dollar game like the stuff they release on Xbox and it's not like a concept demo to prove they can do it. It's almost like they had some programmers sat around with nothing to do and they said....errrmm Make a flying game, but ignore all the public input on what they want in a flying game and create something that is very pretty but totally pointless...

I'm always interested in why business make the choices they do and this one stups me, do you or anyone else have any idea for the reasoning behind the development of flight?

As for that Prepar3d thing......Wow I didn't even know that existed! But it's amazing to think that FS is now part of a real world flight training system. I'd like to think some of the people who made FS as amazing as it is are working on that now, although I doubt it, it seems to be the guys who put in the hard work who lose out the most in those types of deals.
Dave71K

Postby pirate21213 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Truly i think microsoft sucks is being really retarded, but i guess i cant blame microsoft without recieving a rant, so the flight team? The directors? Who ever is in charge has got the wrong idea, if they think flight will appeal to the majority? Meanwhile the majority won't even get away from their first person shooters! And in a long run, the veteran simmers will actually PAY more than the majority, because we enjoy and want to further enrich our simming experience, while the majority will download it free then only play when their xbox/PS3 is busted. One way or another they need to do something quick if that game studio wants to stay alive for longer than 1 game, and, as my father once said, "They need to go around and try again, because otherwise, you will crash an burn"... ;D ;D ;D
Last edited by pirate21213 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.6ghz (HP speed boost up to 4.1ghz) 8GB RAM IPISB-CU (Carmel2)16X speed CD-DVD RW 8X Speed Blu-Ray RW ATI Eyefinity Radeon HD 6570 1GB on board memory Internal 300W Power Supply 21IN HD LED Monitor 1920x1080 Res 60Htz 1TB hard drive Trans
pirate21213
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Mike.. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:23 pm

It looks nice......But being able to fly with the mouse and keyboard? Blasphemy!!!
Mike..
Major
Major

Postby RaptorF22 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:18 pm

It looks nice......But being able to fly with the mouse and keyboard? Blasphemy!!!

You can fly with the mouse in FSX, I've done it while waiting for replacements for broken joysticks.
The problem is that they are encouraging the use of the mouse over the use of the joystick.
RaptorF22
Major
Major

Postby Ang2dogs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:26 am

A: The bet we've made is that to the non-hardcore simmer, flying the whole world isn't as interesting when there's nothing really interesting to see or do. I do get that for some segment of the audience that was one of the values - I can fly anywhere, into any airport, 25,000-odd airports was crazy.

But I think as you try to broaden and you want to bring in not the next million or two but the next 20 million or 30 million people, you say I will err on the side of more interesting area that's dense than the same amount of content spread all over the globe. There's a lot to do in Hawaii, and Hawaii is gorgeous

As of now I haven't posted anything about MS flight, but the above qoute from Executive Producer Joshua Howard in Brier Dudley's Blog from the SEATTLE TIMES Article on MS/FLIGHT post (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/t ... ss_on.html) really got my goat!

Now not to blow my own horn here (and I don't need anyones sympaties), but to let you all know where I'm coming from, (and I'll make this short & sweet) I'm a disabled vet in my 50's.
Because of my disabilities, I'm unable to live my life like I use to, and I get stuck being indoors when I rather be outdoors.

I was a avid hunter, fisher, hiking with my hounds, working on my vehicles, in my garden. But now I'm limited to doing these things, especially if I don't have a buddy available to help me in case I need some assistance (medical wise). If it's warm out, I get to go outside more (alone), which pisses of the ol lady. But when it's chilly, I need to go out on the buddy system (which also p's off the ol lady but that's a diffrent story [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]).

So as not to keep blabing, If it wasn't for flight simulator, I'd be in the nut house, for being stuck in my house! You can only watch so much tv.

Flight simulator gave my something to do, which mainly was to use my brain.

Sure I like playing other GAMES, but this is the difference.
FS is not a game (forget the missions for now) it is what it is, a simulator.

If you expect it to be like a game (other than the missions), yes FS can be quite boring.

But if you use it for what it is, it is quite exciting and educational.

Once I weened my self off of using the GPS, and using the autopilot, how should I say the right way, and learning how to navigate with Vors and Ndb's ( I take pride in the fact that I can go from point A to point B with out even looking at the GPS), my flights have become more enjoyable. Just learning how to use the DC3, with that ol time autopilot and nav system was a chore that was well worth the price of admission.

From flying the Jenny to jetliners, I have never been bored with my flight simulator experience. Just earning each certificate (and I got them all), taught me alot, and really gave me a lesson in what it takes to be a real life pilot.

Because of FS, I am able to imagin what it must have been like in the early days of flight, and the responsability it takes to transport people in todays aircraft. Anyway you all are a pretty intelligent bunch, and I'm pretty sure you are catching my drift.

So back to the above qoute,
and this is were Mr. Howard crossed the line,

The bet we've made is that to the non-hardcore simmer, flying the whole world isn't as interesting when there's nothing really interesting to see or do. I do get that for some segment of the audience that was one of the values - I can fly anywhere, into any airport, 25,000-odd airports was crazy.

The bet they made! Have you ever been to a horse race Mr. Howard?
Your horse will make it out of the gate strong, but they rarely make it to the finish after that.
I would have put my money on the "hardcore simmer" to win, cause MS ain't the only horse in town. I'll be looking toward X-Plane and Prepar3d, and you never know when that new kid on the block shows up.
Sorry if I insulted any horses.

Flying the whole world isn't as interesting when there's nothing really interesting to see or do
.????????????

I don't find the virtual world of FSX uninteresting, as a matter of fact the best part of FSX is exploring the world.

What would be boring to me is stuck flying in one area. Yeah "Hawaii is gorgeous".
But so is my house and my ol lady, but I still need to get outside of the box every now and than. "25,000-odd airports was crazy", are you kidding me? Lets see I started flightsimming with FS98, 2002, Century of Flight, and now FSX. So lets just talk FSX, 25000 airports, been flying FSX since it came out, if my calculations are correct, I still have 24,thou, I still have plenty of virtual world to explore.

I do get that for some segment of the audience that was one of the values.

Some segment of the audience??????
Ang2dogs
Captain
Captain

Postby loomex » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:04 pm

It was a joke the first time I downloaded it and I'll be damned if I do it again. I  deleted every piece of "flight" off my computer. MS can that this game and shove it up their exhaust pipe
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) ,2.70 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1045T(6-core), two HD (1TB and 500GB), 8gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5570,
loomex
Major
Major

Postby Keep It Simple » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:54 am

It's a classc example of a company hell bent on greed shooting themselves in both feet.... then being oblivious about why they can no longer walk.
This seems about standard behaviour for corporations in this day and age where common sense no longer
Last edited by Keep It Simple on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep It Simple
Captain
Captain

Postby Ang2dogs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:00 pm

The bet we've made is that to the non-hardcore simmer, flying the whole world isn't as interesting when there's nothing really interesting to see or do.

I just got done visiting the Simviation Screenshots Showcase when it hit me. This fella, Executive Producer Joshua Howard, is either blind, ignorant, a dupe or an evil genius. First off you want to turn people on to your simula,,,err game, wouldn't you at least choose a piece of land that would really intice people to buy your product such as Alaska? (nothing against Hawaii).

Plain and simple MSflight ain't free, your bascialy downloading the demo, just like you were able to do with FSX. To get the rest of the world in FSX you had to buy the product and then activate it.

So this guy is a genius, throw out a tidbit of the world, say it's free, AND THEN WE'LL CHARGE THE S#!T OUT of THEM for the rest of the world in tiny pieces, and we'll even throw in an airplane (of OUR CHOOSING) everyonce in a while. Right now it's going to be $20 apop, Wonder what it will cost ya to get Alaska?

Sorry guys if I'm starting to sound like I'm ranting, but I did have high hopes for MSflight just as any hardcore simpilot would when you hear that a new sim was going to be born.
I was just getting use to FS98, than along came 2002, just got FS9 running great, and along came FSX, (I felt like I was going thru girls just like when I was in highschool [smiley=laugh.gif]) which at first was a love/hate relationship, but because of sites like SimV and a few others, it was like going to a marriage counsler and I learned to love FSX and got it to run great, Than all of a sudden bam Aces was done, not even train sim was going to be produced anymore, no prob FSX will be around for a long time. But than one day MS got there act back together, and we were looking at the next gen of flight simulator. Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I was even looking foward to getting tourtured again setting up a new sim :D :D :D. A new challange.
Well, like I said earlier, I stayed away commenting on MSflight cause I was waiting for the product to come out.
So I'll finish off with this. The reason I won't be getting flight is because I'm not going to pay for bits and pieces of it. I'd rather invest my hardcore,,,,, I mean hard earned cash into bettering my PC to really run FSX to the max. But the main reason I won't get flight is because the geniuses behind flight underestimated one thing, the bond of us "hardcore" flight simulator hobbiest who really make what flight simulating is all about, the flight sim community is why MS Flightsimulator got up to FSX. And if there's no true MSflight community, than MSflight is truly not for me!

PS: Sorry if I never left a comment in the Simviation Screenshots Showcase ( I've been going thru it from the start), but for now I just want to say that the shots are wonderful and I look foward to checking them out each day when I'm on the V! Cheers [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
Ang2dogs
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'