What Flight is like.... Wait... How can I know?!?!?!?

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

What Flight is like.... Wait... How can I know?!?!?!?

Postby michaelb15 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:22 pm

So I see everyone being sooo dissapointed in flight, and others thinking it is going to be the bomb.

From what we know. how can anyone be so sure?

There has been a lot of dissapointing talk about it. And personally I don't expect too much at all. I also do not want to be disappointed.

The 2 biggest things that I question about it, (which I believe are the make-or-break factors of the sim) is:

1: Will the entire world be available?
Now from what I have read, (and I am not too sure how valid this info is, at this time) the entire world will NOT be modeled. If this is true, this is a major breaking factor.

2: Will a SDK be available? from what I have read, there will not be one available. Which is VERY disappointing to read.

Personally, I believe those are the 2 most important factors in this sim... game... or what ever you want to call it.

But for everyone getting disappointed already, try to keep in mind, this engine has only been in development for a very short time, (in comparison with previous MSFS sims).

Things may be reconsidered, as time moves along. Perhaps by 2014 MS Flight will be up to par with FSX, or beyond. Keep in mind that this sim has not even been on the market yet. It is a completely new team working on it, with different priorities. Think of what MSFS 1 was like, and how it progressed up until FSX. It took almost 25 years to come to the perfection of FSX.

I think many people under estimate how much work it really takes to make a product like FSX. I can't even comprehend how many man-hours went into programming the FS engine., because we are talking in the millions. If not Billions of man hours.

Microsoft flight would be lucky to have 500k man hours of development. Thats nothing compared to what they had.

it is unfortunate that they sold it to lockheed. But maybe it isn't? what if in 5-8 years lockheed turns FSX into somthing that we couldn't even believe came from FSX? Then what would you say? I don't expect that to happen, but it is still out there (thank god  :D)

Well I don't know what else to say for now, but I think people should give Flight a flying chance. It hasn't even had its first release. It has to get around, and the Devs have to get around the block to really understand what has to be made.

So I guess I am trying to say, be patient. The Egyptian pyramids were not built overnight. And you cant expect a worldwide sim to be built overnight either.

Give it 5 years.

then come back to evaluate it.

Then you will see it's true form, (or at least where it is headed towards)

PS- I am not a Flight advocate. I believe it is just a infant, and it has potential. Whether it turns out to be good or not is still to be known. 

Never judge a book by its cover.
I am somwhere I don't know where I am!!!
michaelb15
Captain
Captain

Re: What Flight is like.... Wait... How can I know?!?!?!?

Postby pirate21213 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:09 pm

That was beautiful... :'( :'( :'(
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.6ghz (HP speed boost up to 4.1ghz) 8GB RAM IPISB-CU (Carmel2)16X speed CD-DVD RW 8X Speed Blu-Ray RW ATI Eyefinity Radeon HD 6570 1GB on board memory Internal 300W Power Supply 21IN HD LED Monitor 1920x1080 Res 60Htz 1TB hard drive Trans
pirate21213
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby machineman9 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:14 pm

I would imagine that the entire world is available... But maybe not immediately, unless they brought/bought scenery meshes from other games. Personally, I expect to see rolling updates as addons get adjusted and added to. A basic mesh is probably available to 'coat' the world, but specific regions and detailing might take longer. The 'major' places will clearly be catered for.

As for the SDK, I have no idea. Some rumours say not at all, some say that developers will have to register and only select addons will be allowed. This could either restrict fan content, or just ensure the best gets through (or, to a guideline level at the very least).

But it is true... Don't judge a book by its cover, and only a few people know what the cover looks like - Just like the game, they're still working on it ready for the grand reveal. The CES demo showed us little.
Last edited by machineman9 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm going to give 'Flight' a chance. The part I focus on right now is the Multi player. If I don't have to go through the drill of shutting down ports it might be a good thing, I think. If anyone can enter your session it might be to much childs play. I'm not in the Beta but I'm sure someone can address this without breaking the NDA.
Last edited by Steve M on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm going to give 'Flight' a chance. The part I focus on right now is the Multi player. If I don't have to go through the drill of shutting down ports it might be a good thing, I think. If anyone can enter your session it might be to much childs play. I'm not in the Beta but I'm sure someone can address this without breaking the NDA.

Usually, on other Games For Windows Live games, you can create a private session... Or a password protected one (typically for PC gamers) or an open party. Or just have it so that you can only invite your friends into the game.

I'm not sure if there is an ability to have a 'airline server' (or indeed a SimV specific server) but I imagine if one computer hosted the SimV game and password protected it, it should be limited to just our members.

The second bit I'm not sure of. The first bit is just a generalisation for GFWL and 'Live' games.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks Machine, I have Windows Live but have never done any gaming on it.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby pirate21213 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm

There is 'Talk' of a private session button on the beta that is not active yet, so that solves your problem.
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.6ghz (HP speed boost up to 4.1ghz) 8GB RAM IPISB-CU (Carmel2)16X speed CD-DVD RW 8X Speed Blu-Ray RW ATI Eyefinity Radeon HD 6570 1GB on board memory Internal 300W Power Supply 21IN HD LED Monitor 1920x1080 Res 60Htz 1TB hard drive Trans
pirate21213
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby machineman9 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:17 am

Pirate, NDA asks for all testers not to reveal information.

You may have been one of those who 'knows things' without being an official tester, and not bound by the NDA, but you should still respect it. This feature might be minor, but others might not be and could make SimV look bad. It's one thing to make a generalisation as I did, but it's another thing to be all too specific.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:46 am

Usually, on other Games For Windows Live games, you can create a private session... Or a password protected one (typically for PC gamers) or an open party. Or just have it so that you can only invite your friends into the game.

I'm not sure if there is an ability to have a 'airline server' (or indeed a SimV specific server) but I imagine if one computer hosted the SimV game and password protected it, it should be limited to just our members.

The second bit I'm not sure of. The first bit is just a generalisation for GFWL and 'Live' games.

We have had our own FSHost Simviation Server for a number of years, which we regularly used, and it was/is Password protected for selected Simviation members (Sam's Server.) for FS 2004 and FSX...>>>

..unfortunately, at present it is out of action for some unknown reason, and we are now using other FS Host Servers, FS 2004 and FSX, for example:....

Simviation Multiplayer is still up, alive and kicking!

Paul...FS 2004...FS Nav..G-BPLF...Multiplayer... 8-)...!

Install and run "FS Host Client" to connect FSX to FS Host Server...>>> http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/
Last edited by Fozzer on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby michaelb15 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:32 pm

We have had our own FSHost Simviation Server for a number of years, which we regularly used, and it was/is Password protected for selected Simviation members (Sam's Server.) for FS 2004 and FSX...>>>

..unfortunately, at present it is out of action for some unknown reason, and we are now using other FS Host Servers, FS 2004 and FSX, for example:....

Install and run "FS Host Client" to connect FSX to FS Host Server...>>> http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/

I salute you sir!!!  :)
I am somwhere I don't know where I am!!!
michaelb15
Captain
Captain

Postby machineman9 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:12 pm

Very true, but I'm not sure if Flight will integrate in exactly the same way. Think of it as a better working version of how Gamespy operates in FSX. With Live (in general) you don't need to fiddle around with IP addresses, you can just pick from a list of games, or choose friends from your list and jump into their game. I don't think you'd need FSHost for MS Flight. I'm used to the Xbox version of Live where you click 'join a match' and it does. Or invite your friends instantly into your game with a message.

Speaking of FSHost and going online... I might aswell now  :P
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby pirate21213 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:44 pm

Pirate, NDA asks for all testers not to reveal information.

You may have been one of those who 'knows things' without being an official tester, and not bound by the NDA, but you should still respect it. This feature might be minor, but others might not be and could make SimV look bad. It's one thing to make a generalisation as I did, but it's another thing to be all too specific.

:( :( oops, thanks for the warning, ill be more careful next time.  ;)
pirate21213
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Steve M » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:01 pm

Because I have to use a router and what with my security software and such things I just can't be bothered with that much work to play. The last time I entered, someone blipped off the radar 20 seconds later. That someone was you. I felt bad about it and made up my mind to stay away. A simple login and fly appeals to me. Maybe I'll see you over Hawaii !!
Steve M
Major
Major

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'