Microsoft Flight Press Release and New Images

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: Microsoft Flight Press Release and New Images

Postby Jugador » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:09 am

Unfortunately, this seems to be the (sad) trend in the gaming industry. Apparently, dlc is where the monies are.

How does $100 bucks for a plane sound to you?... :-?

Well, that's exactly what EA is charging for their latest "premium elite" vehicle.  ::)

*I'm not allowed to post a link, yet. Just google "ea dlc car" if you're curious*

Of course, it's just a psychological marketing ploy. I doubt they'll sell many, but now the $50 vehicles look like a bargain!  ;D
Jugador
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Boikat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Daube wrote:
The future of Flight Simulator is P3D.

According to ORBX, LM is going to release P3D V.2.
Last edited by Boikat on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Major
Major

Postby pfevrier » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

I just googled that ea dlc car... that's just insane! How is that good business?  :-?
-Pierre-
pfevrier
Major
Major

Postby Jugador » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:07 pm

[quote]I just googled that ea dlc car... that's just insane! How is that good business?
Jugador
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby mfaulisi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:52 pm

That's exactly it, kind of like gas prices (but not as complicated); $3.00 a gallon seems like a steal now. DLC (not true add-ons per se) is becoming the baggage fees of gaming.
Last edited by mfaulisi on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da
mfaulisi
Captain
Captain

Postby Cusance » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:37 pm

I highly doubt that since MS has the recurrent attitude of closing their eyes and hears and singing "I know better" instead of paying attention to what is really happening with their products. And plus, if freeware is possible in FLIGHT then me and some guys just would make the whole world scenery and release it for free! What I guess is going to happen with the SDK is that MS will select some payware companies to work with them. And I'm sure those companies will have to pay a fortune to get their hands on the SDK...

I think you got it right. MS have simply done what they always do, kick out third party and grab the market build up by the third party, for themselves.
I dont think actually that they have misunderstood the simmers community. What they are saying is that they dont really care about them. The dedicated simmer market is too small. so they have turned their back on us. BUT here is the bright thing: all third party suppliers now know what the 'game' is and can go ahead with big updates and developments on FSX knowing that MS wont screw it all up with some new release. I really believe that MS have shot themselves in the foot. If I was a FSX developer I would regard the latest announcements as brilliant use for my business.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Slotback » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:37 pm

We could try to force Microshaft to release an SDK or such. Simply give it low ratings on websites like metacritic for the reasons of not having any freeware addons because there is no SDK. Doesn't matter if we're a minority. We can be a loud one and influence the majority.

Modern Warfare 2 on PC for example, has a user rating of 3.7/10 from >5000 ratings because they removed features the community wanted.

Thoughts?

In other news, apparently Prepar3d v2.0 will be improved a fair bit over FSX. All new FTX products will be for both P3D and FSX. I just hope LM comes out with a cheap version of P3D for private use - it currently costs $500.
Last edited by Slotback on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Postby Steve M » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:32 pm

We could try to force Microshaft to release an SDK or such. Simply give it low ratings on websites like metacritic for the reasons of not having any freeware addons because there is no SDK. Doesn't matter if we're a minority. We can be a loud one and influence the majority.

Modern Warfare 2 on PC for example, has a user rating of 3.7/10 from >5000 ratings because they removed features the community wanted.

Thoughts?

In other news, apparently Prepar3d v2.0 will be improved a fair bit over FSX. All new FTX products will be for both P3D and FSX. I just hope LM comes out with a cheap version of P3D for private use - it currently costs $500.

I think you can also get P3D for 10 bucks a month. From what I've read it sounds cool.
Last edited by Steve M on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby drtomkat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:46 pm

where can i get p3d?can i get a link
drtomkat
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pfevrier » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:16 pm

-Pierre-
pfevrier
Major
Major

Postby andy190 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:45 pm

M$ have shot themselves in the foot by releasing flight free. People will download it see how arcade-like it is & they won't buy any add-ons for it. Saying that I will download it to see how bad it is. If M$ don't release a SDK for it so people like Xpand & Alrot can make a/c for it I
Last edited by andy190 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:08 pm

And they said we had to wait for the 23 of next December...

The end of an age is already upon us.

For those who find my posts irritating, chin up, this is my very last in this section of the forum. There is nothing this new M$ game, that with simulation only shares some outward similarity, can do for me.

Retaining the full rights to LAUGH MYSELF SICK at the sure to come SWEET results of this idiocy them at M$ have done, trying to hijack a market they have first thoroughly DESTROYED with this crap choice, Strategic Retreat making good of his battle name.

Eject. Eject. Eject.
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Al_Fallujah » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:25 pm

http://www.prepar3d.com/products/prepar3d-client/

From the site:
"As provided in our End User License Agreement, the Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product."
Al_Fallujah

Postby Razgriz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:42 pm

From the site:
"As provided in our End User License Agreement, the Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product."

if I remember correctly the professional version of the arma mil-sim says that as well. it's meant to stop it from being sold in stores
It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed
Razgriz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Slotback » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:12 am

From the site:

"Just to be clear (and trying not to sound defensive!). Anyone can purchase Prepar3D. We do not sell it as an entertainment product and the EULA talks about that, which means that it will not be appearing on the shelves of Best Buy next to Call of Duty any time soon..... I am not sure where the rumour started that we sell only to certain people, but anyone can buy it. It isn't about consumers, but end-use. If you are a pilot, simulation user, student, whatever and want to use it for familiarization, training, taxiing over bugs then go for it. If you are 10 or 110 it doesn't matter. If you want to use it at an arcade game, then buy something else. You can go to our website and purchase it with a credit card and download it. The commercial license version is $499 and we have added a considerable amount of features and made a lot of bug fixes to the code that we were fortunate enough to procure from Microsoft. A list of features can be found on our website at www.prepar3D.com. We certainly have added in bathymetry data to allow the use of submersibles and we have added in a few features for hard-core users that they should find interesting including true multi-channel (spreads the load of the image generator across multiple PCs), update to DirectInput 8 to allow up to 32 axes and 128 buttons per joystick, sensor views (night vision and infra-red), updated landclasses, GPS upgrades and so on. We have also updated and improved the SDK documentation and added more samples for developers. We are also going to be releasing an update version 1.2 of Prepar3D and the SDK in the next few weeks.

Those that are looking to test, integrate, develop, investigate etc and therefore do not require a full commercial license can subscribe for $9.95 per month and receive 2 copies of the software. That is an option that many people are taking and I would be glad to see more people come on board and see what they can do with the app! There are no restrictions to joining the developer network.

If people are using Prepar3D for commercial activities, then switching to the commercial license is appropriate and required.

For Victor, sorry that the website isn't clear enough. I will work with Lockheed communications to try to get some clarity on that. We are just a bunch of engineers and not necessarily the best at marketing!!

Regards,
John Nicol
Prepar3D."

So anyone can get P3D. But since you cannot buy it a walmart or whatever and it's not aimed at consumers, I doubt it will get as much traction behind it as FSX / FS9. I hope they aim at the hard core flight simmer market as well in the future although given it's LM I don't see it happening.
Last edited by Slotback on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'