Do you think Flight will be more CPU hungry than FSX?

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: Do you think Flight will be more CPU hungry than FSX?

Postby BrandonF » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Strategic Retreat, I know that you say that Flight could be good, but you never really have said anything "good" about it. Is there anything at all that you think could happen that is good? If not, why not just switch to X-Plane. You seem to be holding your past experiences with Microsoft against Flight for some odd reason. I really don't see why a flight simulator enthusiast could be so sad about a new expansion to a series that lasted 28 years.  :-/
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby F35LightningII » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:05 pm

What on Earth (or Pluto) is MOOT?

"Moot" is a topic which gets debated on. I'm not sure if that's the same moot they're referring to though.
i5 3570K @ 4.3GHz, ASRock Z77 Pro3, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Samsung 830, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, Thermaltake Armor A60, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Logitech K800, Logitech M510, Windows 8 Pro x64, FSX Acceleration
F35LightningII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:09 am

What on Earth (or Pluto) is MOOT?

This is the reason there's a link to Dictionary.com on the forum menu bar. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moot

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Strategic Retreat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:00 pm

?

Whatever form of compression you can use on an image stored on a disk, for this to be used by a software, said image MUST be decompressed first in memory... or you believe perhaps that when opening a pic on Photoshop you in memory have the compressed image verbatim to the file on disk? Would be useful, but at the moment, it doesn't work like that, at least not for JPG. 8-)

[quote]I don't hear them, and anyway, it was just a suggestion.
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Travis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Or you could just type:

Moot means that the idea is irrelevant to what's being discussed, for various reasons. ::)
Travis
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 am

Or you could just type:

Moot means that the idea is irrelevant to what's being discussed, for various reasons. ::)

Well, the Google translator has yet to fail me (differently from other similar services on the net), and its translations are available in 64 different languages. It is and remains extremely useful when adventuring on a language you have no complete mastery on. The only problems MAY stem when trying to get translation from languages using an exotic char set like the Chinese or Japanese... ;)
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Club508 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:10 pm

i've been hearing alot about 800x600 being bad, but really, what's so bad about this?
https://www.simviation.com/phpupload/upl ... 074127.jpg And I know that's 800x600 because I took it.
Really.
Last edited by Club508 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Club508
Major
Major

Postby JBaymore » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:52 pm

The only problems MAY stem when trying to get translation from languages using an exotic char set like the Chinese or Japanese... ;)

Google translate's Japanese is really bad.
Last edited by JBaymore on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BigTruck » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:04 pm

The only problems MAY stem when trying to get translation from languages using an exotic char set like the Chinese or Japanese... ;)

Google translate's Japanese is really bad.
Alienware X51_R2 (thank you wife) Windows 8.1, 6GB Ram, Intel Core i3-4150 CPU @3.50GHz
FSX Acceleration settings on max, no twitches or glitches.
Saitek X52 Stick and Throttle
BigTruck
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Strategic Retreat » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:25 pm

I was, of course, speaking about translation of single words. We're still WELL far away from a simultaneous translation software THAT WORKS... or at least I haven't heard about such a miracle software yet... especially one that allows correct translations of complete phrases between and across multiple languages. ;)
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby JBaymore » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:56 pm

I was, of course, speaking about translation of single words. We're still WELL far away from a simultaneous translation software THAT WORKS... or at least I haven't heard about such a miracle software yet... especially one that allows correct translations of complete phrases between and across multiple languages. ;)

They have that.  I've seen it in use.  Captain Kirk uses it all the time.   ;)

best,

.............john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Strategic Retreat » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:24 pm

[quote]They have that.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby hyperpep111 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:03 am

[quote]i've been hearing alot about 800x600 being bad, but really, what's so bad about this?
https://www.simviation.com/phpupload/upl ... 127.jpgAnd i know that's 800x600 because I took it.
Really.
Last edited by hyperpep111 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots because they know how easy it is.
Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby hyperpep111 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:22 am

Anyway... Back on topic.
The reason I voted yes was that It's all about maximizing profit. If you buy a new Comp for that you also get new software. If you get new M$ software, They get more money solution? Linux I guess. And Windows 8 is coming So another $300 out of some poor souls pocket
Most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots because they know how easy it is.
Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:59 am

Anyway... Back on topic.
The reason I voted yes was that It's all about maximizing profit. If you buy a new Comp for that you also get new software. If you get new M$ software, They get more money solution? Linux I guess. And Windows 8 is coming So another $300 out of some poor souls pocket

Speak for yourself, please. If YOU buy a new PC... the actual hardware I own is more than enough for me. Flight will NOT work on it? Pity. It means Flight will not be bought by me. :P

And as about OS... it's a while now that I've stopped chasing the vastly expensive and unsatisfied point of view of the "new at all costs", and if I do not need it, I won't use it even if it's given me totally for free.

Sometimes, speaking of this and that new software, it's generally forgot that the so called "new hardware" must be paid by the end user... who pays for the new software too... in a system that grants said end user the great whole of ZERO satisfaction, and only pushes said user to fork more, and more, And More, AND MORE dough for something else... BUT almost never something MORE...

M$ has a last chance to redeem themselves in my eyes. And they have already tackled this task with the wrong foot down, striving in their task to denaturalize the very philosophy of FS, first rejecting the notion that is a simulator, then attempting to build a X-box-like close market around it they want to make us believe it's the best thing even before sliced bread... FOR THEM!!! ONLY!!!!!

A last chance IT REMAINS. It's not like there aren't alternatives around, after all. And if they continue to go on bull headed on this unfortunate course of action... [smiley=thumbdown.gif]
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'