October Flight update

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: October Flight update

Postby Strategic Retreat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:56 am

Perhaps Hawaii screens are being used simply for marketing reasons since most of the target market is already familure with Hawaii/Pearl Harbor area meaning they have at least seen many pics of it.

Who.

FSX was in ST Marteen. FS9 Was in Seattle. FS2002 and predecessors around Chicago (before the American mafia closed Meigs)...

Who is SO familiar with Hawaii in FS? Beside Hawaiian people, mind? :-?

Why show screens of of areas most have no idea what it's suppose to look like?

Right you are. Who can ever being interested about those small, insignificant places lost in the sticks like New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Rome and so on... ::)
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Keep It Simple » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Perhaps Hawaii screens are being used simply for marketing reasons since most of the target market is already familure with Hawaii/Pearl Harbor area meaning they have at least seen many pics of it.

Who.

FSX was in ST Marteen. FS9 Was in Seattle. FS2002 and predecessors around Chicago (before the American mafia closed Meigs)...

Who is SO familiar with Hawaii in FS? Beside Hawaiian people, mind? :-?

Why show screens of of areas most have no idea what it's suppose to look like?

Right you are. Who can ever being interested about those small, insignificant places lost in the sticks like New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Rome and so on... ::)

I did not say the Flight marketers know what they are doinng.

BTW, I happen to live about 50 miles from NYC but, I'm also well aware of the complexity of it and perhaps othe major areas are no ready yet?

Hawaii is much easier to "get right" than most other well known  major areas.
Keep It Simple
Captain
Captain

Postby Al_Fallujah » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Its just the shots for marketing.

Who cares where they put it.
Al_Fallujah

Postby BrandonF » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:04 pm

Perhaps Who is SO familiar with Hawaii in FS? Beside Hawaiian people, mind? :-?

Who is familiar with any famous location for that matter? If you've been there, then yes. What are they supposed to show in their shots then? Come on, guys.
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby Al_Fallujah » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:40 am

Perhaps Who is SO familiar with Hawaii in FS? Beside Hawaiian people, mind? :-?

Who is familiar with any famous location for that matter? If you've been there, then yes. What are they supposed to show in their shots then? Come on, guys.

I swear, some people are looking for things to complain about.
Al_Fallujah

Postby Strategic Retreat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:02 pm

[quote]BTW, I happen to live about 50 miles from NYC but, I'm also well aware of the complexity of it and perhaps othe major areas are no ready yet?

Hawaii is much easier to "get right" than most other well known
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Slotback » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 pm

Flight Simulator always has areas more detailed than others. In FSX it was Las Vegas, Rio, St. Maarten and Oshkosh. And more with Acceleration. In Flight, one of the locations is probably Hawaii. It makes sense they would advertise using this area. Not saying it's right or wrong that they advertise using this area even though 99.99% of the world doesn't look as good... the rest of the world might not even be finished. Why choose Hawaii? 8 million people visit each year.

I look at these screenshots for engine improvements. Not things I could just add by downloading mods from simv like better landclass, mesh and so forth. There are soft shadows, slightly better clouds, slightly better autogen, internal cockpit soft shadows. Nothing huge. I'm hoping that better weather and flight dynamics will be revealed as time goes on. But I have my doubts.
Last edited by Slotback on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Postby todayshorse » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:36 am

...think i might apply for that job.
todayshorse
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:50 am

Why choose Hawaii? 8 million people visit each year.

Rome and Paris have MORE yearly visits, and so do London, Jerusalem and Mecca too, AFAIK. That's not an explanation nor a likely excuse.

Flight Simulator has always shown a predilection in having the USA territory more completed end detailed than the rest of the world. That's not, though, the only reason why choose one of the States. Think about it. FSX on St Marteen... a small island on which the severely impaired engine of this sim version managed to thread water (only to sink catastrophically in any other part of the world) on the hardware of the time... and before that, be it only because at the time Internet was not as mainstream or maybe fast as today... FS2004 did not have a Demo, that I remember (though I could be wrong... at the time internet hereabout was still mainly a misspelled Italian soccer team), so didn't FS2002 nor other FS before...

So, why choose a SMALL ISLAND for a demo?

AGAIN!!!

Call me Mr Suspicious, if you want, but since they have gone through this very same process once already and managed to obtain less than adequate end results... better be cautious next time. :P
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Fr. Bill » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Oh for pity's sake! Where else on the planet is there such a diverse variety of scenery possible in such a compact area, save for deserts of course, but then beige sand is just beige sand, and boring to boot...

They picked Hawai'i simply because of the incredible variety of distinct features to showcase.
Last edited by Fr. Bill on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillImage Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4GB DDR2 Crucial PC6400-800 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB DX10 [i
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Postby F35LightningII » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 pm

[quote]Oh for pity's sake! Where else on the planet is there such a diverse variety of scenery possible in such a compact area, save for deserts of course, but then beige sand is just beige sand, and boring to boot...

They picked Hawai'i simply because of the incredible variety of distinct features to showcase.
i5 3570K @ 4.3GHz, ASRock Z77 Pro3, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Samsung 830, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, Thermaltake Armor A60, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Logitech K800, Logitech M510, Windows 8 Pro x64, FSX Acceleration
F35LightningII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pegger » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Hey everyone.
Did you hear about the new pictures and news articles for Flight? Or are we continuing the argument about who likes Flight and who doesn't, before there's even anything worth reviewing yet?

The pics look nice. I will probably enjoy flight if it looks that good out of the box. I can only imagine that the basic generic scenery will look the same across the globe. Basics about how detailed certain airports are, or certain cities...well obviously they can't model the whole world for $70 a copy can they? I look forward to the release, whenever it may come. If it sucks, well so be it. I was dissapointed with other games I bought in the past too, but it's bound to happen isn't it.

And I hope the newly hired web and community manager has alot of patience. I can forsee that there will be some agressive strategic attacks in their forums as soon as an official forum for Flight becomes available
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'