Freeware development - what do you reckon?

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: Freeware development - what do you reckon?

Postby hyperpep111 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:08 pm

[quote][quote][quote][quote][quote]Anyone know where I can buy a legit copy of Maya on the cheap?
Most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots because they know how easy it is.
Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby Boikat » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:38 am

Cub508:
Is Maya Good? 3,500 is pretty steep.

Maya is the 3D renderer used in almost every big CGI movie for the last several years.
Last edited by Boikat on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Major
Major

Postby Club508 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 am

WOW!!!
Last edited by Club508 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Club508
Major
Major

Postby hyperpep111 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:05 pm

[quote]WOW!!!
Most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots because they know how easy it is.
Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Just remember... GMAX is free, and is provided on the discs for the game itself. Or, download it!

3ds max and maya have extended functions, and an extended version of the same interface, as GMAX. They also have the bonus of being able to render and use physics to auto-animate.

If you're developing for MSFS, you'll not need those features as the rendering is all performed by the game engine!
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Travis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:17 am

Just remember... GMAX is free, and is provided on the discs for the game itself. Or, download it!

3ds max and maya have extended functions, and an extended version of the same interface, as GMAX. They also have the bonus of being able to render and use physics to auto-animate.

If you're developing for MSFS, you'll not need those features as the rendering is all performed by the game engine!

It isn't a question of how the software creates or renders the object, it's a question of how the software saves the content.  If the software cannot convert to the format specified by the program, then your object is obsolete.  If, for say, the playable format of the finished product is in *.FDU (doesn't exist) and the program you are using can't convert to that, the program is obsolete.

gMax cannot convert to the files necessary to run FSX, if I'm not mistaken.  And even if it can, the way they have programmed Flight from the ground up would mean that any program that can produce 3D aircraft has to be either 3DS Max or Maya.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby hyperpep111 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:39 pm

I think someone should open a Maya topic cause this is going a little off topic :-/
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:53 pm

[quote]It isn't a question of how the software creates or renders the object, it's a question of how the software saves the content.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Al_Fallujah » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:43 pm

[quote][quote]It isn't a question of how the software creates or renders the object, it's a question of how the software saves the content.
Al_Fallujah

Postby Travis » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:16 pm

I believe FS3 had a creation engine in-game.  You could manipulate all the functions of the aircraft and come up with some really wacky stuff.  For instance, I remember making aircraft with wings less than a foot wide and hundreds of feet long.  The interesting thing about it was that you didn't have to program the flight characteristics.  The sim automatically did that for you based on the physical dimensions of the aircraft itself.  It would be interesting to have something like that again.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby Fr. Bill » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:57 pm

gMax cannot convert to the files necessary to run FSX, if I'm not mistaken.

The export module for GMax=>FSX was released in FSX SDK 2 and FSX Acceleration SDK. I've been using it for the past few years...

A nice (and free) side-effect of Lockheed-Martin licensing ESP from MS is that they've compiled new export modules for Max 2010, 2011, and 2012. Now folks who wish to create content for FSX, or Prepar3D and have the latest versions of Max can do so.
BillImage Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4GB DDR2 Crucial PC6400-800 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB DX10 [i
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Postby Travis » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:11 am

Whoops!  My apologies, I thought service packs for Gmax were discontinued after FS9.  However, I would be surprised if Gmax export was supported for Flight.  Since the basic coding is being rewritten, I would expect that MS will require a program that has seen some improvement or development in the past ten years.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby Fr. Bill » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:20 pm

[quote]Whoops!
Last edited by Fr. Bill on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillImage Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4GB DDR2 Crucial PC6400-800 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB DX10 [i
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'