First Screenshots of Flight Published!

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: First Screenshots of Flight Published!

Postby Spindrift » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 pm

Please do some research about how to make FSX all it can be with some simple tweaks and on a computer that can be built for less than $1500.00 and run and make FSX work amazing.
Good luck with Flight your new wonderful sim, I will stick with something that works just great!

i7 920 @ 4.0, MSI X58 Pro-E, 6 gigs ddr3 1600 XMS3 Corsair, EVGA GTX 460 SE 1GB, Corsair Hydro H50 cooler, OCZ Stealth Xstream 600watt, 1 TB Western Digital HD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Hmmm... I think I'm starting to understand what kind of consumer you are... Glad you can afford your toys.
Last edited by Spindrift on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB CRUCIAL Ballistix 1600 DDR3 | 500GB CRUCIAL BX100 SSD | EVGA GTX970 | TrackIR 4 Pro | Saitek X52
Spindrift
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby ManuelL » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:20 am

I have to say, I was at first not very convinced by the Flight shots, but the more I look at them, the more I like what I see.

Personally I don't care so much about the textures (can be replaced), but to me it seems the technology for projecting the textures was changed. It appears that the textures are not projected straight from the top anymore (turning every steep clilff into an ugly washed out blob), but the projection on steep surfaces seems to be improved.

If this is the case this could improve the overall looks of the sim in mountainous regions a lot.

My shot with GEX and REX:

What I really hope is that they will bring a wider variety of landclasses to bring a more distinct look to the different continents.
ManuelL
Captain
Captain

Postby Spindrift » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:54 pm

Gorgeous shot! once again, it's great to compare the same scene.  8-)
Intel i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB CRUCIAL Ballistix 1600 DDR3 | 500GB CRUCIAL BX100 SSD | EVGA GTX970 | TrackIR 4 Pro | Saitek X52
Spindrift
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby John Crouse » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Spindrift, I do and have acknowledged everyone that does contribute to the Flightsim, The ones that use are Nick N and Jesus Altuve. The services of FS-GS were one of the best I used that helped me to understand the unification of the Computer and the need for scenery mesh and landclass. This is what makes the sim what it is and then add in the tweaks made by the mentioned people above and testing the tweaks to find what settings with tweaks that make your system run best. Its not about a ton of money like some people have said above ($4000.00) you can do it with a system that costs about $1500.00. To me thats not that expensive when you think back 5-7 years ago you paid $1000.00-$1500.00 for a prebuilt computer that was very substandard by todays standards. So I am not made out of money either, I just spend time reading and trying different things that make things better. I have no trust in Microsoft that this time around will be any different than when they launched FSX and will leave again with no support. I will just stick with what I know works great and IF Flight comes out and is all that its been hyped to be I might consider purchasing it!  ;)
i7 920 @ 4.0, MSI X58 Pro-E, 6 gigs ddr3 1600 XMS3 Corsair, EVGA GTX 460 SE 1GB, Corsair Hydro H50 cooler, OCZ Stealth Xstream 600watt, 1 TB Western Digital HD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64
John Crouse
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby DaveSims » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:53 pm

[quote]Spindrift, I do and have acknowledged everyone that does contribute to the Flightsim, The ones that use are Nick N and Jesus Altuve. The services of FS-GS were one of the best I used that helped me to understand the unification of the Computer and the need for scenery mesh and landclass. This is what makes the sim what it is and then add in the tweaks made by the mentioned people above and testing the tweaks to find what settings with tweaks that make your system run best. Its not about a ton of money like some people have said above ($4000.00) you can do it with a system that costs about $1500.00. To me thats not that expensive when you think back 5-7 years ago you paid $1000.00-$1500.00 for a prebuilt computer that was very substandard by todays standards. So I am not made out of money either, I just spend time reading and trying different things that make things better. I have no trust in Microsoft that this time around will be any different than when they launched FSX and will leave again with no support. I will just stick with what I know works great and IF Flight comes out and is all that its been hyped to be I might consider purchasing it!
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby John Crouse » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:50 pm

[quote][quote]Spindrift, I do and have acknowledged everyone that does contribute to the Flightsim, The ones that use are Nick N and Jesus Altuve. The services of FS-GS were one of the best I used that helped me to understand the unification of the Computer and the need for scenery mesh and landclass. This is what makes the sim what it is and then add in the tweaks made by the mentioned people above and testing the tweaks to find what settings with tweaks that make your system run best. Its not about a ton of money like some people have said above ($4000.00) you can do it with a system that costs about $1500.00. To me thats not that expensive when you think back 5-7 years ago you paid $1000.00-$1500.00 for a prebuilt computer that was very substandard by todays standards. So I am not made out of money either, I just spend time reading and trying different things that make things better. I have no trust in Microsoft that this time around will be any different than when they launched FSX and will leave again with no support. I will just stick with what I know works great and IF Flight comes out and is all that its been hyped to be I might consider purchasing it!
Last edited by John Crouse on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Crouse
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby DaveSims » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:21 pm

[quote][quote][quote]Spindrift, I do and have acknowledged everyone that does contribute to the Flightsim, The ones that use are Nick N and Jesus Altuve. The services of FS-GS were one of the best I used that helped me to understand the unification of the Computer and the need for scenery mesh and landclass. This is what makes the sim what it is and then add in the tweaks made by the mentioned people above and testing the tweaks to find what settings with tweaks that make your system run best. Its not about a ton of money like some people have said above ($4000.00) you can do it with a system that costs about $1500.00. To me thats not that expensive when you think back 5-7 years ago you paid $1000.00-$1500.00 for a prebuilt computer that was very substandard by todays standards. So I am not made out of money either, I just spend time reading and trying different things that make things better. I have no trust in Microsoft that this time around will be any different than when they launched FSX and will leave again with no support. I will just stick with what I know works great and IF Flight comes out and is all that its been hyped to be I might consider purchasing it!
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby Spindrift » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Microsofts biggest problem was us (the consumer) demanding backwards compatibility so all of our add-ons would work. So I hope they learned their lesson and changed the engine and base code to make it more effective performance wise with todays computers. But so far their record isn't too good. I so hope i am wrong!

I heartily agree with you John! (not that "I hope you're wrong" - well, I do, but you know what I mean!
Spindrift
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fr. Bill » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Personally I don't care so much about the textures (can be replaced), but to me it seems the technology for projecting the textures was changed. It appears that the textures are not projected straight from the top anymore (turning every steep clilff into an ugly washed out blob), but the projection on steep surfaces seems to be improved.

The projection technology probably hasn't changed. It's more likely a result of improved mapping of the terrain...

Most of the Alps have been redone for FSX over the past few years, where the "smeared cliff faces" have been eliminated by Frank Dainese...

See: http://scenarialpinifsx.blogspot.com/
BillImage Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4GB DDR2 Crucial PC6400-800 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB DX10 [i
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Postby New Light » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:28 am

Last edited by New Light on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Travis » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:41 am

There are many reasons that MS doesn't include ultrahigh quality aircraft or scenery in their sims, but here are a couple:

The expense of making ultrarealistic aircraft and scenery is evident when you look at how much you pay for the base sim, and then what you end up paying for the upgrade packages.  $20 US is fairly cheap for a high quality aircraft or scenery, and the range goes up much farther in price.  Even considering that such an upgrade would cost less if included in the initial release, you would still end up paying at least $100 US for that privilege.  That would put it out of the reach of some buyers, and greatly deter those of us who are diehard fans of the series, but can't afford a machine to run such a comprehensive sim.

Which brings up the second argument: one would be required to purchase a high-end system to run something with such great amenities, and most of the time, the end user cannot afford such an item at the time of initial release.  A $1500 dollar system that could run FS9 exquisitely at the time of release would have a hard time running FSX with full sliders and enhanced scenery and fully functioning cockpits with the latest and greatest aircraft releases.

But as for having the program fully-functional at the time of release, I am in full agreement.  It is ridiculous to expect us to purchase a $40-$60 program and then have to pay an additional $20-$30 for an "upgrade" that just fixes a boatload of issues encountered with the original.  It doesn't inspire much confidence in those of us who are potential buyers.  If you bought a car part that absolutely refused to work as advertised, you would immediately return it and ask for a full refund.  Then you would look elsewhere for your car part.  And there is a growing community of other sims that are vetted much harder than FSX was.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby New Light » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:00 am

Last edited by New Light on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'