Updated News Page

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Updated News Page

Postby BrandonF » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:29 pm

There has not been an update on Flight in over a month, until today. Microsoft has revised the news page on the Flight website to be like a little blog. They have answered some of the questions that many people are asking, but still not giving out a release date, or specific information.

I am starting to feel relieved that it will for sure, be a simulator. They also appear to want to have better performance on today's hardware. I sure hope this happens!

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

8-)
BrandonF
Major
Major

Re: Updated News Page

Postby Keep It Simple » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:50 pm

That should silence the doomsday prophets a bit.

Things  are looking great!  :)
Keep It Simple
Captain
Captain

Postby Steve M » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:53 pm

This doesn't address many of the issues that have been brought up in our MS Flight board. It's basically no news. The dependance in online servers just seems to be reinforced. The aircraft designers have not been addressed. Allthough they do say it's to soon to release many details and they touch on the notion that they are listening to the simmers questions.
Now.. How do you get thousands of people to have a smooth flight on scores of different PC systems? You take the engine out of the PC and put it on a central server, Kapish? Time will tell if I am right or wrong.
Last edited by Steve M on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Keep It Simple » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:38 pm

One thing that seems to be overlooked is the piracy issue.
In this day and age, it's unrealistic to release a major title without this being addressed.
I suspect that any required online aspect is primarily related to prevent piracy and it has nothing to do with removing the engine, etc from Flight.

A basic engine can be made to run smooth on todays average hardware with good coding and let's not forget that flight will have minumun requirements. It the graphics an added eviormental objects that persently tax systems and some will obviously have to dumb that down at times just as we do now.

However, as the code is being rewritten to be more efficient and to take advatage of multi cores etc, we all have to take a wait and see attude.

ACES/MS a has always said that the third party add-ons is one of the main things that make MSFS so popular. I doubt that they wiil kill it.
However,
Last edited by Keep It Simple on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep It Simple
Captain
Captain

Postby Steve M » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:11 pm

[quote]One thing that seems to be overlooked is the piracy issue.
In this day and age, it's unrealistic to release a major title without this being addressed.
I suspect that the online aspect is primarily related to prevent piracy and it has nothing to do with removing the engine, etc from Flight.

A basic engine can be made to run smooth on todays average hardware with good coding and let's not forget that flight will have minumun requirements. It the graphics an added eviormental objects thatpersently tax systems and some will obviously have to dumb that down at times just as we do now.

However, as the code is being rewritten to be more efficient and to take advatage of multi cores etc, we all have to take a wait and see attude.

ACES/MS a has always said that the third party add-ons is one of the main things that make MSFS so popular. I doubt that they wiil kill it.
However,
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Keep It Simple » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:20 pm

It think it's a given that any major title like MS flight wiil require a more than a low end sys.

To limit the progam to a possible lowest common denominator is just not a smart marketing stratagy far a cutting edge major title that Flight claims to become.

BTW changes
Last edited by Keep It Simple on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep It Simple
Captain
Captain

Postby JBaymore » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:18 pm

A basic engine can be made to run smooth on todays average hardware with good coding and let's not forget that flight will have minumun requirements

Let's not forget that Microsoft did not do this with FS2002, FS2004, nor FSX.
Last edited by JBaymore on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Boikat » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:04 pm

I think when M$ says "Todays hardware", they are not talking "Dual Core, 2Ghz" average system, but what is considered today's "high end" computers.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Major
Major

Postby Keep It Simple » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:11 pm

I think when M$ says "Todays hardware", they are not talking "Dual Core, 2Ghz" average system, but what is considered today's "high end" computers.

I agree.
I currently have a quad core @ over 3gigs and I consider it dated even though it runs FSX very well for the most part.

Since I haven't purchased new hardware for quite a while, I will be building a new sys when Flight is released. I'm over due anyway.

Also, we have to assume that you can dumb down the graphics in Flight if needed for a less than high end sys but, who wants to do that? :)
Last edited by Keep It Simple on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep It Simple
Captain
Captain

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'