What we wish: core simulator environmental engine and aircraft systems modeling

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

What we wish: core simulator environmental engine and aircraft systems modeling

Postby JBaymore » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:03 pm

This is the real "meat" of the whole darn beast.  If this is not pretty darn accurate and easily accessible.... well...... why bother.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What we wish: core simulator environmental engine and aircraft systems modeling

Postby SeanTK » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:21 pm

I don't have any solid suggestions yet, other than to say that what we get now is pretty good for a ~$60 program.
Obviously there's a lot of small details that could be added/polished, but I'm wondering what kind of things come to your mind right away, Mr. Baymore?
:)
SeanTK

Re: What we wish: core simulator environmental engine and aircraft systems modeling

Postby Travis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:59 pm

I've said it in one of the other threads, but I think Python scripting would serve some good purpose here.  Sure, it isn't as "slick" as the in-house programming that MS uses, but it's certainly a helluva lot easier to access and work with.  Plus you can change nearly every aspect of the game or sim to suit your own purposes, with the exception of the core game model.  So we could finally have a Mars simulator, or a Jovian atmosphere simulator, or . . .
Travis
Major
Major

Postby skoker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Accurate systems modeling and start up.  Ex: Packs, lights, fuel...
skoker
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:31 pm

Definately things such as cloud shadows, waves, realistic winds, damage back and not an instant end-game (E.G take a wing off in mid flight and try to land it... And have your gear collapse properly). Sloped runways (and lumpy runways as many dip in the middle)

And fix the ATC! I think that is one of the major drawbacks which never changed. If I have an emergency and I put it on my transponder I would like you to take some notice of me. If I have a flame out, I don't want to go back into the normal pattern.

Bird strikes and other things, and just make it more realistic. There should be GPWS by default, better maps (perhaps allow a plotting system so that you can plot and find your course whilst flying). That kind of thing.
Last edited by machineman9 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby RaptorF22 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Definately things such as cloud shadows, waves, realistic winds, damage back and not an instant end-game (E.G take a wing off in mid flight and try to land it... And have your gear collapse properly). Sloped runways (and lumpy runways as many dip in the middle)

And fix the ATC! I think that is one of the major drawbacks which never changed. If I have an emergency and I put it on my transponder I would like you to take some notice of me. If I have a flame out, I don't want to go back into the normal pattern.

Bird strikes and other things, and just make it more realistic. There should be GPWS by default, better maps (perhaps allow a plotting system so that you can plot and find your course whilst flying). That kind of thing.

+1  :)
RaptorF22
Major
Major

Postby Fr. Bill » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:54 am

It is far more likely that it will support Lua rather than Python, given that FSX supports Lua already.
BillImage Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4GB DDR2 Crucial PC6400-800 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB DX10 [i
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Postby DaveSims » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:45 pm

I will tell you my biggest pet peeve, the real world weather engine in FS9 and FSX.  I can be cruising at 35000 feet and go from a 60 kt tailwind to a 90 kt headwind in an instant, and back again.  If real aircraft encountered such wind shear, they would be ripped to pieces.  You can also go from clear skies to 1/4 mile visibility instantly.  They should find a way to smooth out the variations in the weather.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby JBaymore » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:41 pm

[quote]I will tell you my biggest pet peeve, the real world weather engine in FS9 and FSX.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SeanTK » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:09 pm

I just thought of something else....

If anyone here owns "Lock-On" by Ubisoft, try ascending (or decending) through an overcast layer during the day. The light levels change depending on where you are in the could. Plus, the cloud envelopes parts of the wing that you can see out the window. Just two little things that I think could add a lot.
SeanTK

Postby Travis » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:43 am

Very rarely in actual flight do you encounter a cloud layer dense enough to actually obscure the wings of the aircraft you're flying, if you can actually see them out of the cockpit.  Although that's an interesting suggestion, I just don't see it happening enough to actually add it to the sim.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:36 am

[quote]Very rarely in actual flight do you encounter a cloud layer dense enough to actually obscure the wings of the aircraft you're flying, if you can actually see them out of the cockpit.
Last edited by machineman9 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Travis » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:34 pm

I wholeheartedly agree!  The cloud formations in FS sometimes made me laugh, especially when flying towards a big puffy bank and then it switches over to 3D clouds and they become just a couple of wisps! ::)

Better clouds, please! ;)
Travis
Major
Major

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'