XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

Postby Ewok » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:29 pm

Hello Nick,

You are the greatest and your tweaks are number one on my list. Thank You for all that you do for us.
My question is can the XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers tune up be used for Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I recently installed Windows XP SP3 from a disk.

Thanks Again and Take Care!!!!!

As long as it was a clean install of WindowsXP which included SP3 during the full Windows install, yes its fine. SP3 includes SP2

Thanks Nick. Works Great!!!!

You the man.
Ewok
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NoTeefs » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:11 pm

Nick, are you God?  :D I have NEVER been able to run FSX this well EVER!!!

I was very skeptical going through most of the others suggested 'tweaks' because i already knew FSX was vastly different from FS9, and they were simply doing the same tweaks over again. Thanks for clearing the air and the great material you provide for all of us!
NoTeefs
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:14 pm

god? ;D

far from it

Im'a JAFO
Last edited by NickN on Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby NoTeefs » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:19 pm

Look up...look down...look left...look right.
Last edited by NoTeefs on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoTeefs
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ShaneR35 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:43 pm

In regards to the recently added section for Vista where we change the SuperFetch value in regedit..

I followed the guide from the beginning and did this step when I reached it. however, it doesn't appear to have made a change. The system still acts as before (same memory usage, same files in the prefetch folder etc).  I followed the steps exactly ( Pretty sure ;) )

Did I miss something? Or do I just expect to see something different after the above is done?

Anyway...back to the rest of the steps.

PS. Running Vista 64
ShaneR35
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ryelk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:29 am

Hello,

First thanks for putting these lists together, the amount of work to generate them must have been insane.

Unfortunately my FSX is stuttering like crazy after going through the FSX tweak and XP tweak lists to the letter, so I guess I will have to reset everything and hope for the best. These other issues came up too that I'm have trouble resolving. Again hopefully resetting everything will fix them, but wanted to bring them to your attention.

1. I tried to use Windows Update in IE to update my computer but it was unable to do so, indicating that Automatic Update was turned off. I tried to turn it back on to Automatic in services.msc but whenever I clicked Apply, it would just revert back to Disabled.

2. Every time I shut down, a box pops up indicating that explorer.exe is trying to close. If I don't touch it, it says that it's not responding. If I wait another 10-20 seconds without doing anything, it shuts down on its own.

3. Within FSX, in addition to the unplayable stuttering, whenever I slew and move fast, huge artifacts pop up all over the place and block any view. After I stop moving, they go away after a few seconds.

Running XP Pro on Core Duo 2.8Ghz, 1066FSB, 2 GB RAM, ATI 4870
ryelk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ryelk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:08 am

Following from above post, I also wanted to note that the pagefile.sys on the C:\ drive was 3 GB, didn't know if it was supposed to be this big after the tweaks. And now when I click Start>My Computer>C drive, it takes about 30 seconds for the window to load, whereas it took about 3 to 5 seconds before.
ryelk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:46 am

author=ShaneR35 link=1208959973/285#290 date=1237772584]In regards to the recently added section for Vista where we change the SuperFetch value in regedit..

I followed the guide from the beginning and did this step when I reached it. however, it doesn't appear to have made a change. The system still acts as before (same memory usage, same files in the prefetch folder etc). I followed the steps exactly ( Pretty sure ;) )

Did I miss something? Or do I just expect to see something different after the above is done?

Anyway...back to the rest of the steps.

PS. Running Vista 64

There can be folders that will rebuild in the Prefetch folder but otherwise there should only be 2 files listed after you flushed it and rebooted, and, rant the command line:

layout.ini and NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf

Nothing else

Make sure UAC is shut down and also make sure the Task Scheduler Serivce was not shut down

Confirm the correct reg path you changed
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby NickN » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:49 am

Hello,

First thanks for putting these lists together, the amount of work to generate them must have been insane.

Unfortunately my FSX is stuttering like crazy after going through the FSX tweak and XP tweak lists to the letter, so I guess I will have to reset everything and hope for the best. These other issues came up too that I'm have trouble resolving. Again hopefully resetting everything will fix them, but wanted to bring them to your attention.

1. I tried to use Windows Update in IE to update my computer but it was unable to do so, indicating that Automatic Update was turned off. I tried to turn it back on to Automatic in services.msc but whenever I clicked Apply, it would just revert back to Disabled.

2. Every time I shut down, a box pops up indicating that explorer.exe is trying to close. If I don't touch it, it says that it's not responding. If I wait another 10-20 seconds without doing anything, it shuts down on its own.

3. Within FSX, in addition to the unplayable stuttering, whenever I slew and move fast, huge artifacts pop up all over the place and block any view. After I stop moving, they go away after a few seconds.

Running XP Pro on Core Duo 2.8Ghz, 1066FSB, 2 GB RAM, ATI 4870

You have something wrong with this system that has nothing to do with the list I posted

The only way Windows Update will not re-enable from the GUI is

1. You disabled services you should not have disabled

2. You have a virus or a bug

3. You have some type of corruption in the system

Opening the C drive and having a huge pause is not normal. I dont care if the page file is 6GB in size

There is something wrong with this system. Either this system has services that were disabled other than what I specified, there is a virus or malware running, or, there is registry corruption all of which have nothing to do with the list I posted

It is however possible this system was not SP2 updated correctly and the Microsoft low level SATA bug has forced file corruption with the use of O&O Defrag.
Last edited by NickN on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ShaneR35 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:27 pm

[

There can be folders that will rebuild in the Prefetch folder but otherwise there should only be 2 files listed after you flushed it and rebooted, and, rant the command line:

layout.ini and NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf

Nothing else

Make sure UAC is shut down and also make sure the Task Scheduler Serivce was not shut down

Confirm the correct reg path you changed

Thanks, Nick.

Confirmed all the above.

Did it again with the same result.

After flushing prefetch and rebooting, all files come back. And there never was a slow boot.
ShaneR35
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ryelk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:03 pm

You have something wrong with this system that has nothing to do with the list I posted

Thanks for the reply. I disabled only the services you said to disable. I ran an ESET scan and found no viruses. This is a 3 month old machine (Dell Vostro) with only Microsoft Office on it, so not sure where the corruption would be coming from.

In any event, resetting everything didn't work so now I am reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows.

I'm sure your list works for most people out there, but I guess i'm the unfortunate proof that it doesn't work for everyone, and in fact might screw things up pretty bad if there is a pre-existing condition or some other issue going on. Sorry for the troubles, I was really excited about finding your list and hope it still helps people out there.
ryelk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. I disabled only the services you said to disable. I ran an ESET scan and found no viruses. This is a 3 month old machine (Dell Vostro) with only Microsoft Office on it, so not sure where the corruption would be coming from.

In any event, resetting everything didn't work so now I am reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows.

I'm sure your list works for most people out there, but I guess i'm the unfortunate proof that it doesn't work for everyone, and in fact might screw things up pretty bad if there is a pre-existing condition or some other issue going on. Sorry for the troubles, I was really excited about finding your list and hope it still helps people out there.

One word

Dell

This process works and more than likely the issue has something to do with the Dell Windows install disk
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Dougal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Ahhh, the Dell's, the Dell's Ahh... my god the Dell's  ;)
Phil 'Dougal' Symonds ------ XP-Pro 64bit - FSX(SP2)
Dougal
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ryelk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:57 pm

One word

Dell

This process works and more than likely the issue has something to do with the Dell Windows install disk

For future reference, what brand of computer do you recommend, for people who don't have the skills to build one?

also, is it just the O&O component of the tweak list that Dells don't like? Is everything else cool? Or is there anything else Dell owners shouldn't do?
ryelk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Its not the computer.. (although I would not call anything Dell 'performance' either)  its the Windows instal disk they provide which is loaded with all sorts of crap and changes a regular WindowsXP SP2 disk does not have and they are also known for giving out old versions of that disk with their products.

If you were to get a clean official version of WindowsXP SP2 on disk you would not have such problems, nor would your system be flooded with Dell startup crap either. Drivers can be obtained from dell in thir suppot area if needed without that disk they supply
Last edited by NickN on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam