XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

Postby macca22au » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:16 pm

Trust him, NOD 32 is great, and it treads your system lightly.

Others like Norton may be fine, but they fight FSX for CPU time and slow it right down.

ESET's NOD is the best purchase I have made, and by the way I have absolutely no sign of invasion or malware.
macca22au
Captain
Captain

Postby DocW » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:21 am

but I wont lower my standards... if you trust the list I posted, trust my AV suggestion

eset has another new customer.

Does it hurt if I did accidentally a space defrag after shaping up the system according to your advice ? I notice that a name defrag thereafter took again 2 hours or so, so I wonder if the space defrag somehow counteracts the name ordering.
DocW
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:48 am

but I wont lower my standards... if you trust the list I posted, trust my AV suggestion

eset has another new customer.

Does it hurt if I did accidentally a space defrag after shaping up the system according to your advice ? I notice that a name defrag thereafter took again 2 hours or so, so I wonder if the space defrag somehow counteracts the name ordering.

That is the difference between version 10 of O&O and version 8.5 and 8.6

With version 10 of O&O you should not use the SPACE defrag option after the first time running it from my list. With 8.5 and 8.6 you CAN run a SPACE defrag after a small install like that just to clean things up and then do the NAME defrag at a regular maintenance interval based on my list for keeping things tidy over time.

Version 10 SPACE defrag will ruin the NAME defrag
Last edited by NickN on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DocW » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:12 am

thanx again. Everything runs bloody well on my system now, booting is a charm and FSX has now a real nice aspect. You did a great job. I consider myself lucky that I stumbled across this thread. I remember very well pyaing at work "experts" 150$ the hour for jobs that aren't worth 1% of what you offer.That's what I'd call dedication.
Last edited by DocW on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DocW
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby rikm12345 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:08 am

Hi Nick,

Why is Registry mechanic or Tuneup Utilities not needed anymore?

Thanks

Rik
Q6600 (oc to 3.3ghz), P5KC, 4gb Corsair Dominator, Raptor 150gb, Seagate 500gb, XFX 8800GT
rikm12345
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:20 am

Those tools are now a "by user" decision

I do use a reg cleaner every so often however I no longer 'compact' the regisry and have not for a very long time. WinXP and Vista have had changes made to them whereby the registry is kept in good shape automatically and therefore use of that feature in programs like RM are not necessary.

I would be very careful with 'tuneup tools"

Thay can do things that may hurt performance instead of help. The best "tuneup" you can do is the maintenance I posted in cleaning out/flushing temp files, checking and cleaning up new 'startup' items not needed and then running the defrags...
Last edited by NickN on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ajmilan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:45 pm

Nick, you've previously stated "The page file ALWAYS goes on the boot drive with WindowsXP. Never move it."

Well, per an IT knowledgeboard (http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm) I have move my pagefile to another physical drive.  Would you suggest I undo that work and leave it on my System (C) drive rather than in its own partition on my 2nd physical hard drive?  (I'm currently running WinXPSP3 but have not started your system tweaks yet.)

Thanks.

Andy
CA SEL IFR
ajmilan
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby DocW » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Nick, you've previously stated "The page file ALWAYS goes on the boot drive with WindowsXP. Never move it."

Well, per an IT knowledgeboard (http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm) I have move my pagefile to another physical drive.  Would you suggest I undo that work and leave it on my System (C) drive rather than in its own partition on my 2nd physical hard drive?  (I'm currently running WinXPSP3 but have not started your system tweaks yet.)

Thanks.

Andy

I second that, before I read your list I had it on another drive, too. I read as well that this should have improved performance in XP.
DocW
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:49 pm

That IT tweak is for NETWORK SERVERS and old computers that have low memory. It started back in the days of Windows95/98 when the average system had 128MB of memory..

no gain in a modern system unless its a network server and the system admin has tuned that page for the 'calls' being made to the server

in other words, the tweak is USELESS for modern game systems and has been for at least 5 years
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ajmilan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:10 pm

So I'll take that as an "if it ain't broke, leave it alone" and leave it in place.

Thanks.
CA SEL IFR
ajmilan
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby rikm12345 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanks for your advice Nick about the Registry tools.

i have often wondered about such tools. I often think they claim to do much more than they actually do.

Everything you say is not Gospel, but a Bookmark.

Cheers Nick!!

Rik
Last edited by rikm12345 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q6600 (oc to 3.3ghz), P5KC, 4gb Corsair Dominator, Raptor 150gb, Seagate 500gb, XFX 8800GT
rikm12345
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ajmilan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Nick, under the Internet Explorer Temp. Internet Files settings to set the disk space to 1200.
CA SEL IFR
ajmilan
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:38 pm

[quote]Nick, under the Internet Explorer Temp. Internet Files settings to set the disk space to 1200.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby 7X7-800 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:55 am

Nick,

When attempting to use the following "rundll32 advapi32,ProcessIdleTasks" I get the following error: "Error in advapi32 Missing entry:ProcessIdle". I am not using quotes when entering that line.
Any ideas?
Last edited by 7X7-800 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
7X7-800
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:46 am

Is the task scheduler enabled in the services list?

Almost sounds like a corrupt windows advapi32 file. Assuming the syntax was correctly copied that command should run as posted
Last edited by NickN on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam