XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

Postby thetford569 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:41 pm

just an update...I got a GTX 260 Video Card today which solved my issue.  My new motherboard did not support my old video card and it was cutting the PCI express bus basically in half at only x8.  Now that I've installed the new card my fps has gone from 9-10 to 60!  Now I'm working on tuning and tweaking but at least I have solved my hardware issue.  Thanks to NickN again for his help!

Brandon
thetford569
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:10 pm

no problem.. from now on you know what to look at and verify. All those other things had to be verified anyway to be sure you were not dealing with more than one issue but the CPUz readout can tell you quite a bit right off the bat.

enjoy the system
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby dido41 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:49 am

I just did a fresh install of windows xp-32.  I followed your Optimizing and O&O defrag to the letter. But I have done this before loading FSX. Now I am installing fsx and the updates (gex fex ect.)To the computer. What I am asking is. After doing the defrag before loading fsx, what is the best and safest way to defrag the system.

Thanks
dido41
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby truck911 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:56 am

author=dido41 link=1208959973/330#333 date=1240156182]I just did a fresh install of windows xp-32. I followed your Optimizing and O&O defrag to the letter. But I have done this before loading FSX. Now I am installing fsx and the updates (gex fex ect.)To the computer. What I am asking is. After doing the defrag before loading fsx, what is the best and safest way to defrag the system.

Thanks

See what Nick says but I do a quick space defrag after laoding up all my OS stuff. reason is I am usally pushing 50% fragmentation if I try to load all my FSX before defragging. After loading all your FSX stuff you have to do a complete defrag following this to the letter:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_p ... ?TID=29041
and this:
http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1208959973
Regards

Gary Anderson
truck911
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:19 am

I just did a fresh install of windows xp-32. I followed your Optimizing and O&O defrag to the letter. But I have done this before loading FSX. Now I am installing fsx and the updates (gex fex ect.)To the computer. What I am asking is. After doing the defrag before loading fsx, what is the best and safest way to defrag the system.

Thanks

You did not have to do any of it until after everything was installed...

If you are installing FSX to another drive then you need to repeat the defrags exactly as I listed after FSX, all addons and patches are installed.. same order, same number of passes on the FSX drive

If you are installing FSX into the same drive as the OS.. same thing, which is why in that case one does not need to run the defrag passes till everything is installed

Some addons like GEX, FEX, REX simply send textures to FSX and do not need to be installed to the FSX drive. To save space on that drive and also keep performace high with the drive those programs can be installed into the OS drive as they are launched the user SENDS textures to FSX via selections. In the case where such large database type addons are installed into the OS drive.. again, repeat the defrag passes after
Last edited by NickN on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby dido41 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:32 am

So after i install everything i can run O&O space and name defrag in the order you have outlined in your other post. Even though i have already done the computer optimize and complete space and name defrag already?  or will it hurt to run the space again?

Thanks
dido41
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:41 am

So after i install everything i can run O&O space and name defrag in the order you have outlined in your other post. Even though i have already done the computer optimize and complete space and name defrag already? or will it hurt to run the space again?

Thanks

Yes. .that is correct

Which version of O&O?

as I outlined about O&O, if it is version 8.5, 8.6 or v11 you can run the space defrag when ever you want and yes, run the passes as outlined again

If it is v10 do NOT run the space defrag again and only run the NAME defrag passes..
Last edited by NickN on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby dido41 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:48 am

I am running 8.6  and i thank you for your help. I am also running fsx on my OS drive, as i do not have another drive just for fsx at this time. So i will have to take a performace hit from doing it this way.
dido41
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Nat » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:10 am

Hi Nick,

I have two HDD's - One dedicated to FS9, and the other for everyday use. Each drive has its own WindowsXP installation on. I followed your guide, for both Windows Installations, and have definitely noticed an improvement in the speed of the system.

My problem is, it now takes an age to boot into my everyday use Windows, but, on the other hand, my FS9 windows is faster than its ever been. I followed the exact same steps for both Windows, so im not sure why one should have improved while the other one is now even slower to boot. Any ideas? Just to add:It's only the boot-up that's slow, once it has finally booted-up it runs normally.

Thanks,
Nat
Nat
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:54 am

I have no idea..

But I fail to understand why the 2 OS installs.. you dont need that

One OS on one drive, one FS9/FSX on the other

You should be able to use a single OS for everyday use and for FS9/FSX
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ewok » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Nick,

I just wanted to say once again Thank You!!!!! I have followed pretty much all of your advice, tweaks, and whatever else I can google with your name behind it.

I recently purchased Ground Environment X and I am truly speechless. I have great FRAMERATES pretty much anywhere I go and I can't believe my scenery.
You are truly a TOP NOTCH guy and dedicated to what you do. You gotta be the best FS guy out there.

I can't afford a monster system but I am doing great with what I have.

Hats off to you Nick!!!!!

May the Sky Angels be with you.
Ewok
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby JHA » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:14 am

Hi. Just a short recap...

I bought a HP Pavilion with AMD Phenom Quad 9150e 1.8 Gz CPU, and shortly thereafter I discovered MS Flight Sim X!

Should have been the other way around, FSX first, Intel i7 and the rest... would have been very nice indeed.

Luckily, I found this forum and the absolutely excellent
Last edited by JHA on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JHA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:31 pm

no

you do not get 1.8x4

you get 1.8

You are too slow for FSX.. that needs to come up to at least 2.8+ and on AMD compared to Intel C2/Quad a AMD at 2.8 is like a Intel C2/Quad at 1.8-2.2

just so you get the idea.

Its not just speed, its how the processor is made
Last edited by NickN on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JHA » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:31 pm

Yep, I get it, thanks...

New rig, made for FSX.

The wife can have the HP Pavilion then, she will be so happy!

JHA
JHA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby WilliamH » Sun May 03, 2009 7:52 am

Nick - is there any chance you can strip the information on setting up the computer into a locked thread as you have with the FS tweaks. 33 pages is a lot to go through.

Thanks.

EDIT - it occurs to me everything that has arisen on subsequent pages may have been incorporated in the first page - is this correct?
Last edited by WilliamH on Sun May 03, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards

William
WilliamH
Ground hog
Ground hog

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam