XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

Postby Mobayrasta1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:35 am

Psovod-

Thanks. I took your advice and contacted them and just recieved vs.8.6 (and version 11 free) I am only going to install 8.6 for now. I guess I should just start at the first O&O step in Nicks thread.

I am hoping the page file will still be at the end of the data when finished.
Mobayrasta1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:08 am

If you are on Vista

turn OFF system restore and reboot before running O&O. SR in Vista locks that part of the partition and you will get that cleaned up.

If you want SR enabled, reenable it after all the defrag work (I dont as it takes resources)

If the page file does not move to the end, set Windows system properties for NO PAGE FILE.. apply and reboot and delete the file

C:\pagefile.sys

it may delete on its own and not require you delete it.. must also have hidden files and folders with hidden system files DISABLED to find it

If its not there, RUN the defrag AGAIN and allow that space to be used correctly.

Once complete,

...set the page file back up to

User defined: 3072 - 3072 on the Windows partition and you will find it is now at the end of the data set... run the offline defrag

all fixed
Last edited by NickN on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Mobayrasta1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:36 pm

If you are on Vista

turn OFF system restore and reboot before running O&O. SR in Vista locks that part of the partition and you will get that cleaned up.

If you want SR enabled, reenable it after all the defrag work (I dont as it takes resources)

If the page file does not move to the end, set Windows system properties for NO PAGE FILE.. apply and reboot and delete the file

C:\pagefile.sys

it may delete on its own and not require you delete it.. must also have hidden files and folders with hidden system files DISABLED to find it

If its not there, RUN the defrag AGAIN and allow that space to be used correctly.

Once complete,

...set the page file back up to

User defined: 3072 - 3072 on the Windows partition and you will find it is now at the end of the data set... run the offline defrag

all fixed

Thank Nick

I have SR turned off.The page file is again at the end of the data set since running 8.6 on space mode . I have not used my desktop since I first started the steps in the first post in this thread, except for now defragging and restarting about 8 times. My hard drive should be in great shape! I am now on the comple/name defrag process for the first time using 8.6 and all seems well. I will continue the steps in the correct order after that finishes.

Thanks for everything, I will post my results when I get this sucker defragged correctly and can play some games!

On another note can't wait for GEX Europe!
Mobayrasta1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Mobayrasta1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:06 am

I am getting an average of 5 to 10 fps faster in all of my games. My computer boots up about 100 times quicker and everything just seems to run better.

Thanks Nick!!!!!!  

Also a big thanks to Psovod for kicking me in the butt and just telling me to scap O&O10 and go to 8.6. Even though Nick had all ready reccomended it I was determined to make it work. I guess I don't get any prizes for being stubborn!

Thanks again for a nice healthy FASTER computer.

Chris
Mobayrasta1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Anxyous » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:30 am

Does the guide for making XP32 recognize more than 2 gigs of RAM apply to Vista 32 as well?

:)
Anxyous
Major
Major

Postby NickN » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:35 am

Does the guide for making XP32 recognize more than 2 gigs of RAM apply to Vista 32 as well?

:)

Part 1 is for XP only,... part 2 is for Vista only as the post states
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Anxyous » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:41 am

Oh, wow... aren't I an idiot? ;D

Does it go for ReadyBoost as well?
Anxyous
Major
Major

Postby NickN » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Readyboost has nothing to do with that post

Unless you have a fast SSD hard drive I see no point to readyboost at all
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Anxyous » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:00 am

I got a 2 GB USB stick...

I'm looking for any performance enhancement.
Anxyous
Major
Major

Postby NickN » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:50 am

USB 2.0 is slower than the data rate from the hard drive

With a SSD hard drive however that feature has value but then again, you must have a SATAII or 3GB/s interface to allow the SSD drive to have the data buss it needs for performance.. and, if you load Windows/FSX on that SSD drive readyboost is again not going to do much of anything for you.. that feature is really a joke

The only way RB will help is if you have 2 SSD drives in the system and one dedicated to RB which also requires the motherboard have 'Robson Technology' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Memory embeded in the BIOS for the drives and RB though NAND flash on the PCie CARD or the SSD drive to take its place .

RB is a Vista 'fluf' feature.. full of hot air without the right hardware and even then its effect is questionable
Last edited by NickN on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Anxyous » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:05 am

Oh, okay, I guess I'll use it for something else then...

Thanks Nick! :)
Anxyous
Major
Major

Postby CDreier » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:32 pm

Nick,
I have some questions regarding the settings in nHancer for FS9.  I'll message you just in case this thread doesn't update.   Thanks.
My Specs:
i7 920 oc'd to 3.8
6gb Corsair RAM
ASUS P6T Deluxe v2,
EVGA 275GTX
1TB WD 7200/32 Black
2x 750GB WD 7200/32 Black
Samsung 22" 1680x1050 LCD
Corsair 800D case
Windows 7 64-bit
CDreier
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby flavio » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi Nick,

You are the reason I registered in this forum. Let me first say thank you for your work and for making it available online.

I am having an issue with O&O defrag.

i did everything up to the name defrag to the word. First issue is when i ran the offline defrag, rebooted, and when it started, it was a weird black screen with some colors on it, and blinking white things, then the PC rebooted like you siad it would, but i "looked weird"

second is when i try to run the NAME defrag, O&O seems to freeze at a very early folder, differs, and then never continues, and stays at 0% the whole time, stops moving files, it just kind of stops defragging i guess.

I don't know what the issue could be. My hardware is working fine, i have a quad at 2.66 which i normally oc to 3.47, but is not right now, 3gb ddr2 ram, 7.2K barracuda, 2 8800gt sli, 680i mother board. all drivers up to date, windows XP sp3.

thank you
flavio
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:02 pm

Issue 1 is because of the Nvidia video card.. well known and not a problem.. just let it do its thing and yes, I know it looks weird

Issue 2 I have no idea.. I have never heard of that problem. It sounds like it could be either some kind security software locking O&O from making changes or a corrupt download/install of the software itself. I assume this is O&O v8.6? I dont use 10
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby flavio » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:11 pm

hi Nick,

thank you for the fast reply, i appreciate it.

i am using o&o 8.6. I have a completely new install of retail xp sp2, did the critical updates and have nod32. there is nothing else installed except acrobat viewer and flash player. and of course, fsx acell. sp2 with utx, gex, some addon aircraft and sceneries, and xclass.

i installed in the correct order and rebooting between installs. everything in the list worked fine, expect now i cant even defrag with o&o anymore.

it just stops after moving some 20 to 40 files. for space and name.

i have no clue what to do. i really want to be able to use the defrag part, i know it's essential. i would also like to purchase it if it starts working :(

OK UPTDATE!!

so i uninstalled o&o, rebooted, reinstalled it, rebooted this time doing a disk check, it found some errors (i think that was the problem) fixed them, ran a SPACE defrag and it woked (ufffff!!)

now im going to run disckcheck again and, do an offline, then try the NAME again. ill let you know how it goes, hopefully it works, at least i got o&o up and running again :)

UPDATE 2

how do i buy 8.6 now?
Last edited by flavio on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flavio
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam