XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

Postby Dougal » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks!
Phil 'Dougal' Symonds ------ XP-Pro 64bit - FSX(SP2)
Dougal
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Selkan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:21 am

Nick, if you don't mind imparting such information, would yu mind telling me where you are in the World.  I have assumed the USA, but could you possibly be in the U.K?
Selkan
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Dougal » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:21 pm

Nick, a technical question re your 'List' if I may:

Turning off the 'Last Access Stamp'.  Will this stop a backup application using 'incremental' backups?

Thanks
Phil 'Dougal' Symonds ------ XP-Pro 64bit - FSX(SP2)
Dougal
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:37 am

author=Dougal link=1208959973/255#257 date=1234383669]Nick, a technical question re your 'List' if I may:

Turning off the 'Last Access Stamp'. Will this stop a backup application using 'incremental' backups?

Thanks

You are shutting down last ACCESS, not last MODIFIED

dOAH!

no issue :)
Last edited by NickN on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby NickN » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:37 am

author=Selkan link=1208959973/255#256 date=1233058897]Nick, if you don't mind imparting such information, would yu mind telling me where you are in the World. I have assumed the USA, but could you possibly be in the U.K?

USA
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Aph3x » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:33 pm

Hey Nick

Was wondering if there was a more extensive guide just for vista, if not thats cool but i have a few questions.

I dont ever use IE and was wondering if those settings matterd to change, and if i should try and do the same for firefox.

also the The Windows XP Performance counters i downloaded and did everything u said just making sure its the same for vista

Couldnt find these or i got to a file that had the shortcut icon on it and wouldnt let me access it.

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Just want to make sure that if these files remain they wont interfere and be detremential if i continue to defrag

and why am i deleting the nvidia folder?

Sorry for the questions, but i like to know why im doing what im doing before i do it :) Not that i doubt you, im just curious.

If there is anything for vista that would help i would be much appreciated thank you.
Aph3x
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby keith-uk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:39 pm

I have just bought fsx and acceleration.
I am going to reinstall windows xp before installing fsx, but my xp service pack 2 is downloaded and put on a disc.

So will buying a genuine service pack 2 disc off ebay and installing that after i have reinstalled xp be ok, or do i have to buy a full windows xp disc?

If i need a new xp disc, does the service pack come built in with xp and if so, how do i know it does and its not just xp with a 2nd disc with service pack 2?

The genuine sp2 discs are on ebay for just a few quid, so i'm hoping thats all i need.

Keith.
keith-uk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:50 pm

Hey Nick

Was wondering if there was a more extensive guide just for vista, if not thats cool but i have a few questions.

I dont ever use IE and was wondering if those settings matterd to change, and if i should try and do the same for firefox.

also the The Windows XP Performance counters i downloaded and did everything u said just making sure its the same for vista

Couldnt find these or i got to a file that had the shortcut icon on it and wouldnt let me access it.

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Just want to make sure that if these files remain they wont interfere and be detremential if i continue to defrag

and why am i deleting the nvidia folder?

Sorry for the questions, but i like to know why im doing what im doing before i do it :) Not that i doubt you, im just curious.

If there is anything for vista that would help i would be much appreciated thank you.

The list I made was specifically for XP. The paths mentioned will not be there for Vista and would be different. Dont worry about it

you would need to locate the FF internet cache yourself. I dont use FF.. it is not safer or faster than IE,,

The Nvidia folder on the root of C is just a decompress dump. Its not needed once the drivers are installed
Last edited by NickN on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby NickN » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:52 pm

I have just bought fsx and acceleration.
I am going to reinstall windows xp before installing fsx, but my xp service pack 2 is downloaded and put on a disc.

So will buying a genuine service pack 2 disc off ebay and installing that after i have reinstalled xp be ok, or do i have to buy a full windows xp disc?

If i need a new xp disc, does the service pack come built in with xp and if so, how do i know it does and its not just xp with a 2nd disc with service pack 2?

The genuine sp2 discs are on ebay for just a few quid, so i'm hoping thats all i need.

Keith.

SP2 must be part of the full Windows install and not a separate install after Windows goes in clean.

I have no idea what Ebay disks are offering

One can manually slipstream SP2 into a Windows XP, XP SP1, XPSP1a install and then burn a new disk without having to buy one. The process is well noted on the net and requires special CD boot files and software to make a bootable XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Aph3x » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:40 am

Cool thx for the explanation.
Aph3x
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby keith-uk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks for the info Nick. So it does not matter if service pack 2 is downloaded if its slipstreamed into xp?

Does the date of the service pack 2 matter if its going to be slipstreamed?

Thanks,

Keith.
keith-uk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:46 pm

Slipstream is fine.. they updated it  ::) even though it says 8/10/2004
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby keith-uk » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:33 pm

I've slipstreamed sp2 into XP, made a new boot up disc and everything is fine. The game runs great as it is, but i am now going to do the tweaks, so it should run even better.

Thanks,

Keith.
keith-uk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby keith-uk » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Nick run into a problem with the xp tweaking in this section.....

[i]Internet Explorer browser settings
keith-uk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:42 pm

Issue 1: I need to update the list for IE7... just delete the history, files and cookies..

Issue 2: Typo, will fix the list.. should be 1024
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam