XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

Postby Anxyous » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:14 am

Hi Nick, me again :D

Just wanna thank you, actually.

I went through your OS optimizing list, but didn't really see any results.

But then, I tuned FSX a little differently (which actually meant bumping some settings up), and now I get a perfectly smooth sim 90% of the time.

So thank you :)
Anxyous
Major
Major

Postby NickN » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:38 am

Another source for a complete list is located here

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_p ... ?TID=29041

Basically the same information just all in one post
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby T1MT1M » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Hey Nick. Quick Question

What Codecs should i get? I ask this simple question because the dreamscenes don't work on vista when some of the different Codec Packs that are out there are installed.

I know it is a drain on resources but i use them when i have people over and am showing off  :D. I would use VLC but i have 2 monitors and when it fits itself to the screen it fits to the "main monitor" and it would be a pain to have to change it every time.

Because this is vista i don't really expect you to know such a minor problem. In fact this is the only problem that i have ever had with some might be surprised to hear :).
T1MT1M
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby T1MT1M » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:49 pm

Wow. I just sat there and read 227 posts lol. i started when i posted that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ finished now :P.
T1MT1M
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Kingair » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Hello,

To clarify the whole Win XP web update to SP2 issue, it does not matter if the web update to SP2 was done recently (last month) since the problem on Microsofts end still exists?

I recently built an all new PC (after HD failure on the old one) and installed Windows XP from the the CD I purchased almost 6 yrs ago which did not have SP2 on it . I have done the web update to SP3 and just wanted to make sure I understand before possibly buying a new copy of Win XP and doing a fresh install.

Last edited by Kingair on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingair
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:54 pm

Hello,

To clarify the whole Win XP web update to SP2 issue, it does not matter if the web update to SP2 was done recently (last month) since the problem on Microsofts end still exists?

I recently built an all new PC (after HD failure on the old one) and installed Windows XP from the the CD I purchased almost 6 yrs ago which did not have SP2 on it . I have done the web update to SP3 and just wanted to make sure I understand before possibly buying a new copy of Win XP and doing a fresh install.

No difference!

And its unfortunate because the problem is the HAL will not completly update and replace during a windows 'upgrade'

Sounds to me like you are a prime candidate for the issue
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby NickN » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:54 pm

[quote]Hey Nick. Quick Question

What Codecs should i get? I ask this simple question because the dreamscenes don't work on vista when some of the different Codec Packs that are out there are installed.

I know it is a drain on resources but i use them when i have people over and am showing off
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby T1MT1M » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:04 pm

Sorry for being unclear :P. Different types of videos. usually i would download a codec pack with all the codecs that i would need in it. But that won't work for what i need because then dreamscenes won't work. No idea why it effects it but when we put a pack on my boss's computer at work suddenly dreamscenes stopped working.

Was just wondering if you had a specific program that you used to play videos with codecs built into it (which i failed to ask before sorry :D), or whether you have a specific place where you get them after a format.
Last edited by T1MT1M on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T1MT1M
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby jwenham » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:40 am

Nick, I am installing FSX on its own drive and want to know if I should turn off indexing on that drive as well?

Jim
Intel i7 940 2.93 clocked to 4.0ghz Asus P6T Deluxe 6gb OCZ 1600 8-8-8-24 EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked Edition Thermalright 120 CPU Cooler Power PC & Cooling 750w PSU 1 tb Seagate Barracuda HD 500 gb Seagate Barracude HD 22" Viewsonic Widescreen Tra
jwenham
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:50 am

Turn off indexing on all drives
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby NickN » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:53 am

Sorry for being unclear :P. Different types of videos. usually i would download a codec pack with all the codecs that i would need in it. But that won't work for what i need because then dreamscenes won't work. No idea why it effects it but when we put a pack on my boss's computer at work suddenly dreamscenes stopped working.

Was just wondering if you had a specific program that you used to play videos with codecs built into it (which i failed to ask before sorry :D), or whether you have a specific place where you get them after a format.

It depends on what you are looking for to play

XVID?
DVIX?
FLV?
RM?

I never really looked for any 'packs' and just located a codec as needed. Sometimes I just skip the video if the codec it wants is some odd-ball I have never heard of.
Last edited by NickN on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Kingair » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Hello,

No difference!

And its unfortunate because the problem is the HAL will not completly update and replace during a windows 'upgrade'

Sounds to me like you are a prime candidate for the issue

Thanks for the clarification. I just ordered a new copy of Win XP so I can do a fresh install without the SP2 web updates.

regards,

KA
Kingair
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby T1MT1M » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:55 am

ok. Thanks for the info.
T1MT1M
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Anxyous » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Nick, what's your take on AlacrityPC? Is it harmful to the system or anything?
Anxyous
Major
Major

Postby NickN » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:42 pm

its not harmful since after a reboot everything is restored however I have yet to see it do anything for any decent system

I personally think its a placebo for most unless there is something running not default in Windows that the user may shut down by the software

it was known as FSAUTOSTART for FS9 and XP
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam