Piracy vs FSX

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Piracy vs FSX

Postby Katahu » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:01 am

Considering how technology has recently advanced for the FS series, one would at least wonder how FSX is going to run in order to combat piracy such illegal duplicates and such. I remember back when FS2002 first came out. People kept abusing the CDs since you could run FS2002 without the CDs. Nowadays, even when the CD is required, there are programs out there in the net [some of which are unknown to us] that can enable an individual to duplicate even the DVDs.

I am bring this up because I am a bit concern on how piracy can greatly influence our experience with FSX in the future. For example, I own Half-life 2 and I love it. The one thing I hate about it is the fact that I need constant internet connection in order to even play it. However, I understand that this measure by the developers was necessary in order to combat piracy of such an awsome game.

So, how do you think the pirateers of today will affect the sim of tomorrow?
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Piracy vs FSX

Postby Daube » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:14 am

"Tomorrow", you won't have any CD any more.
You will pay, for each game, some money to get an online direct access to the files, because hopefully the connections will be fast enough.

So the brands will keep the files on their servers, and you will have to pay monthly to be able to read them.

This will eradicate the problem of data growth as well, we won't have to wonder on how many microdrives FS XV will be shipped :)

It would be exactely like google earth, but in payware. You download a very basic application base, and then this application must read its data from the internet, because it would require several gigabytes on your hardrive to store all this data.
Last edited by Daube on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:30 am

The problem is whilst in places like the US or Britain with good broadband access that might be feasible the rest of the world can't cope.
I live in a country where ADSL is seen as posh! A lot of people still use dial-up and broadband is as mythical as honest politicians!
I think some kind of verification code is the answer that just quickly confirms online and allows the program to run. I'm sure the crackers out there will find a way round it eventually but it'll keep most on the level.
You'll never be able to stop piracy. It is one of those things and the race between hacker and security expert is always led by the hacker...
Last edited by ozzy72 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MOUSY » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:09 am

All of what Ozzy said is very true. I also live in country where broadbrand would be nice and we are now just moving away from 56K dial-up into 128-1444Ks DSL.

As for piracy, nowadays the awsner towards piracy protection is leaning more towards hardware and away from software. My research on Blu-Ray on wikipedia, for example, brought some intersting and astounding security measures, such as dynamically changing cryptographic keys (cracked keys can be changed my the manufacturer and and implemented into the newer discs), and limited copy liscences (further copies must be paid for via online registration).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu_ray#Di ... management
As for the forms of security where an online connection to servers, these types are almost impossible to beat. Havent heard of any way past that yet.
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1379790172.png[/img]
Current Work in Progress: CaribSky: GrenadaX
[url]www.facebook.com/richersimulations[/url][/align]
MOUSY
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:32 am

There are ways to spoof such programs Mouse. When I was doing my IT diploma a lot of what we did was security and encryption (almost 2 years in fact) and I learnt a lot of stuff that would shock and amaze people.
I have a number of theories as to how to cut down piracy but as I've only ever released stuff I've done as freeware I'm probably not the voice of authority.
With Vista and its new security devices (particularly hardware ones) things will move up a step but it won't be long before the hackers and crackers are ahead again.
There aren't any simple solutions. I can remember back in the days of the ZX Spectrum when copying a game just needed a tape-to-tape deck and a company introduced a device you had to hold to the screen to decode the security program so you could access the game (Elite), so a company made a device that you plugged into your Speccie and pressed the button on top and could save the game from that point. So once you'd gone past the security you saved it and when you loaded her from tape again you'd bypassed the security!
It is a never ending race...
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby x_jasper » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:20 am

I don't see piracy being a problem with FSX. ;D

Jasper
P4 2.5. massive huge 10 foot display.
x_jasper
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NicksFXHouse » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:38 pm

1. Develop an operating system that is designed for scanning what is being installed into it which also verifies the software.

2. Develop hardware which works with the security features designed into the OS.

3. Market the security features to large firms who are tired of having their investments stolen.

4. As the market grows the cost will drop allowing smaller software companies the opportunity to have the same protection.

5. Eventually the cost will drop to a level where any software producer can afford the protection.

Hmmmmm... I wonder if that is has already been done or in the works  ::)
NicksFXHouse

Postby Saitek » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:20 pm

It is a good thread and question. I won't be surprised if they make some software that makes all copying of files impossible and to make a backup you would have to do it through a system that would store it within the sim (which couldn't be copied or transferred). They probably have some sort of technology almost perfected already, but these things takes ages to come out.

Random question but, do you have broadband Mark?
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E2180 2GHz
GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2) DDR2 6400C4 800Mhz
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
2 x 22" monitors
200GB Sata
Be Quiet! Straight Power 650W

Flying FS
Saitek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:05 am

Ha ha ha Ben! Broadband doesn't even exist over here!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fozzer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:08 am

What always drives me round the bend is the assumption that everyone and his dog has an Internet Connection! to be able to download data.... >:(...!
I wouldn't mind betting that many folks who purchase computer games don't have/cannot afford an Internet connection to enable their new computer game to run... >:(...!

I am driven up the wall upon hearing/reading in the media every few minutes.....
..."go to.. WWW. whatever.com for details".
...when the person involved doesn't even have a computer...!!
Flippin' Norah... >:(...!

Paul...One of the lucky? ones, with a computer, and access to the 'Net... ::)...?
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:19 am

What always drives me round the bend is the assumption that everyone and his dog has an Internet Connection! to be able to download data.... >:(...!

Indeed. This also applies to mobile phones.* >:(

*PS. They appear to be called cell phones nowadays. I expect it will soon be possible to play FSX on the blasted things. ::)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:21 am

Doug cell phone is the correct name for them from a technical standpoint as the work on a cellular system to enable efficient communication ;)
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fozzer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:28 am

I always thought "cellular" referred to part of a living organism which contains cells... :-[...!

Alcatraz was cellular...
...that contained lots of cells...

Mobile phones are still a mystery to me...
...like the cells in my aged body... :'(...!

Paul...In a cell...somewhere... 8)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:31 am

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone.htm
There is a nice diagram showing the idea of cellular coverage ;)
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fozzer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:39 am

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone.htm
There is a nice diagram showing the idea of cellular coverage ;)

It still doesn't explain the change in the cellular composition of my Liver after six pints of John Smith's Special Brew...:'(...!

...That's what I need to know...
...urgently...
..trust me... ;)...!

Paul...Hic.... ;D...!

P.S.  Notice that this thread has migrated from Piracy to the effects of Rum...  ;)...?
Last edited by Fozzer on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam