Small Towns  ?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Small Towns  ?

Postby caveman16 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:45 am

And a very nice day to you all,
Say Guys and Ladies,    Has anyone heard if  the sim will have the small towns included in the scenery  ?

I know many are more than likely included in with the add-ons.   But what if "your area" isn't in the add-ons ?  

An example is  :   My area is so remote  "THEY" left out a mountain lake with a shoreline over 163 miles in size  and is 22 miles long  !!!!! [ there is a blob of water ]       The "town" is just a  blank area.    The "  TVA  LAKE" even has the highest  OVERSPILL  DAM in the world at 307 feet.  This is Murphy  N.C.in the extream  Western  part of the state.

I live 17 miles west of the town and can still walk to the lake , - - -  and "THEY" still keep leaving it out of the Sim  !!!   I once found a "goat trail" in western Alaska that also was on my topo map  !!!!  [ REALLY ]

I'm sure others can speak of such nice areas that are overlooked also.    

Again the question :   Anyone heard that such little areas will be included  ?  

Appreciate your input,        caveman
My PC's Specks:  Case:  Thermaltake v7000c/ 5 very quiet case fans.  Motherboard: AMD/ASUS-A8N32-Sli Deluxe Socket 939  Processor:  AMD Athion 64x2  4400+/Socket939 Dual Core.  Operating System:  Windows XP Hom
caveman16
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Small Towns  ?

Postby Katahu » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:31 am

Just remember that this is a...

*clears throat*

"...A Big @55 Globe!"

Not even M$'s near-infinite money pool can fix every little scenery. Besides, if M$ did bother to include every detail like a "goat trail" then the price of the sim would skyrocket faster than the Apollo missions of the 1960's and M$ would have no choice but to push back the release date as well. Probably as far back as Windows Vista.

I remember I used to be like you. Always wanting to include M$ to fix this and that, here and there, but I later learned that no sim is perfect [not even X-Plane]. For example, even with X-Plane's Global Terrain installed you will still find a few isolated places in X-Plane with lonely runways and missing bits.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby vololiberista » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:20 pm

The problem is that Microsoft have up to now made bad jobs of the scenery for well known places. Venezia for example is "completely unreal!" And had to be fixed by the ISD project for Venezia Tessera.
Vololiberista
Andiamo in Italia
vololiberista
Major
Major

Re: Small Towns

Postby SilverFox441 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:32 pm

If MS were to make the whole world perfect (impossible on it's face) what would the folks who are into scenery design as a hobby do?

No to mention how many of us could afford the resultant $15K price tag!

It's a $50 program folks... 99% of the land surface area of the planet is going to be porrly modelled...

Get used to it or learn to fix it yourself.
Steve (Silver Fox) Daly
SilverFox441
Major
Major

Postby caveman16 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:49 pm

Hey Guys,   Just a thought and a wish.   Perhaps I  just want more  and better scenery .   I really did find a goat trail in western Alaska that was on my topo .

Hey Silverfox, I have given it some thought about scenery design  but right now I've too many irons in the fire.    

Always nice having input from you guys.     Here's wishing you all a very nice evening.                caveman
My PC's Specks:  Case:  Thermaltake v7000c/ 5 very quiet case fans.  Motherboard: AMD/ASUS-A8N32-Sli Deluxe Socket 939  Processor:  AMD Athion 64x2  4400+/Socket939 Dual Core.  Operating System:  Windows XP Hom
caveman16
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Katahu » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:33 pm

If MS were to make the whole world perfect (impossible on it's face) what would the folks who are into scenery design as a hobby do?

No to mention how many of us could afford the resultant $15K price tag!

It's a $50 program folks... 99% of the land surface area of the planet is going to be porrly modelled...

Get used to it or learn to fix it yourself.

Don't forget the serious upgrade requirements if FS was made perfectly. ;)
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby SilverFox441 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:16 am

If I can just get that Cray XMP installed I won't have to upgrade for at least 5 years. :)

Seriously, if anyone wants to do scenery design it's just like anything else...start small. Do a tiny area that you see all the time as a landmark...and then slowly expand.

Before you know it you have substantially improved the local area and are good to go.
Steve (Silver Fox) Daly
SilverFox441
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:54 am

The nearest you ever get to "realistic" scenery is "VFR Photographic Scenery", but that is a total waste of time, (trust me!), because the scenery is just an aerial photograph, and therefore perfectly flat!, just covering the natural mesh contours... :o...!

To include all the 3D buildings, etc, in the scenery required by a realistic representation of local areas would be a horrendous job for M$ to cover the whole World... :o...!
Just adding additional 3D scenery, as I do, (EZ Scenery, Lago FSE, etc), to a small, particular area, significantly slows down the frame-rates... :'(...!

It would be fantastic to skim over my roof-top, clearing my chimney, and land next to my shed at the bottom of my garden, avoiding my clothes line on the way, but I don't think Uncle Bill and his crew aren't quite into that much detail....
..Buggar... >:(...!

The rest of Great Britain's scenery is bleak in the extreme, and is the reason why I have flown round California for the past 7/8 years because it is the best represented scenery I have found in all of M$ Flight simulators...FS '98 onwards... ;D...!

There's a long way to go before we reach caveman's scenery requirements, and a Mk XVIII version of the Cray Super-Computer... :'(...!

LOL... ;D...!

Paul...in bleak England... ;)...!

Last edited by Fozzer on Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kipman725 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:43 am

I think what would be awsome would be a central scenary reposetry where scenary could be uploaded by users (and if it met quality criteria) automaticly downloaded by fs... that way everyone could do a small area near them untill the entire world was amazingly detailed... I can dream
5900xt/2800+/280GB/1GB PC3200/Cyborg Evo Force/ABIT NF7
Gpu clock: 475mhz core, 800mhz mem
CPU at: 12.5x175 = 2187.5
memory: 2.5, 3, 3, 8 Duel channel on
kipman725
Captain
Captain

Postby Katahu » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:24 pm

I think what would be awsome would be a central scenary reposetry where scenary could be uploaded by users (and if it met quality criteria) automaticly downloaded by fs... that way everyone could do a small area near them untill the entire world was amazingly detailed... I can dream

Not gonna happen. Your idea is based on the assumption that everyone would have at least DSL or cable. But in real life, most are still stuck with good old dial-up. ;D
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ashton Lawson » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:08 pm

Actually, Kipman got an idea there.
If MS made a program where you put in a latitud, longitude, and radius.  You then click a generate button.

You could have a simple town maker.  Lat and Long for the coordinates, and radius (miles) of how big the town is.  It won't be detailed or accurate, but it makes for a nice simple way or making scenery more exciting, or less bare.  Plus, the towns would vary in buildings depending on what zone they're in (tropical,sub-trop,tundra,med,etc.)

Then, next time you go online, FSX automatically sends this info to MS:
<
 N30* 9.97'
  W80* 39.43'
   RAD1

>
(This means N30* 9.97', W80* 39.43', with a 1 mile radius)

If anyone else has created a town, MS automatically sends you the info.  Easy. Simple, on any bandwidth.

:D We're onto sumthin'! ;D

P.S.
Don't check the coordinates I gave, they just send you into the middle of an ocean.  Dunno which ocean tho.
Last edited by Ashton Lawson on Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FS Water Configurator+ has new modifications in the works, plus DirectX 10, Service Pack
1, and Radeon HD 3+ Series support.
Ashton Lawson
Major
Major

Postby PisTon » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:24 am

On medium settings the fsX mesh resolution is 76metres. I know mesh resolution isn't land class, but I do expect with that vastly improved mesh there to be better towns and lakes :)
PisTon

Postby SilverFox441 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:11 pm

I actually cam up with a solution for this a long time ago and sent it to MS...I have no idea if it was even read.
Steve (Silver Fox) Daly
SilverFox441
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:34 am

This will be done for sure in the future, when the amount of data for scenery will become too large of a single box in a store.
You can also imagine that such access will be payware...

But as stated above, we still have some years before the average internet connection speed gets fast enough to allow such a process :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ashton Lawson » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:25 am

I hate payware.  You gotta pay... >:(

But, technically, all addons for FS9 are payware, cuz you gotta buy FS9 to use'em...
FS Water Configurator+ has new modifications in the works, plus DirectX 10, Service Pack
1, and Radeon HD 3+ Series support.
Ashton Lawson
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam