lookin good...
C/SMSgt - Civil Air Patrol
Airshow_lover
Major
Major

Re: New vid, showing detailed cockpit

Postby rootbeer » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:03 pm

Looks like a real resources hog...
emachines T6212; AMD Athlon64 3800+ (2.40 GHz; Venice core); Allied AL-B500E 500W power supply; 2048Mb PC3200 DDR400; Westinghouse LCM-22w2 wide-screen LCD monitor; eVGA e-GeForce 7900 GS KO X16 PCIe video card; Logitech Extreme 3D Pro flight controller;<
rootbeer
Captain
Captain

Postby SkyNoz » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:06 pm

Must have been VC, still haven't seen the 737 or 747 2d panels. Alot have been shown of that unique exterior tail shot's showing the fron the the aircraft.. But wana see some more, really interested in seeing the 2d's. :)
Project Kfir!
My Gmax page
Aircraft modeler/Aircarft painter

Aye the key!
[GeneralEngineData]
//0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=N
SkyNoz
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:42 pm

Ark ! No...don't tell me 2d panel still exist in FSX.... :(
Damn, I was really hoping FSX would get finally rid of them... that's today's bad news for me
Last edited by Daube on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Katahu » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:01 pm

Ark ! No...don't tell me 2d panel still exist in FSX.... :(
Damn, I was really hoping FSX would get finally rid of them... that's today's bad news for me  :P

BTW, I've just watched the video.
The gauges in the VC of the sailplane are really great, neat and smooth !! I see no need for 2D panel any more here  ???

Think about it. There are people out there who would use the FS series to practice for real-world pilot liscenses. In that case, even a fully functional and highly-detailed DVC is ill-equiped to meet the needs of a student pilot who not only needs to see the gauges up close but also have a good view of the scenery at the same time.

And don't forget, pilots in the real world "have" to look outside periodically to avoid mid-air collisions.

So you may not need them, but the student pilot does need them.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby SkyNoz » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:15 pm

Well, let's hold our horses.. I love 2d's because I fly the cockpit like any real pilot would. I dont sit and look at cockpit features along with VFR which is important..
I just like to see how far the 2d panels have come along, I like to see both in FSX and how their represented with FS9 and this short sailplane movie.

Personally I prefer using the 2d cockpit in FS9, I found that the visual aqutities are better. But like I said I hope both features are well included in FSX, cheers -SN 8)
Project Kfir!
My Gmax page
Aircraft modeler/Aircarft painter

Aye the key!
[GeneralEngineData]
//0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=N
SkyNoz
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:17 pm

Think about it. There are people out there who would use the FS series to practice for real-world pilot liscenses. In that case, even a fully functional and highly-detailed DVC is ill-equiped to meet the needs of a student pilot who not only needs to see the gauges up close but also have a good view of the scenery at the same time.

And don't forget, pilots in the real world "have" to look outside periodically to avoid mid-air collisions.

So you may not need them, but the student pilot does need them.

Hmmm I just realize that this 2D/VC fight may have already happened on this forum and that some other members would find it very annoying. Sorry for that.

I just need to know why do you consider a DVC to be ill equiped compared to a 2D panel ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:23 pm

Personally I prefer using the 2d cockpit in FS9, I found that the visual aqutities are better.

That's for sure, and I understand perfectly that one would absolutely need smooth and neat gauges for flying, 2 arguments that only 2D panels could offer in FS9.
But in FSX, the gauges are already neat and smooth in 3D. That's why I could not see the need of a 2D panel in that case...

But like I said I hope both features are well included in FSX, cheers -SN 8)

Well, to be honnest, I was hoping that FSX would force the freeware aircraft developpers to provide a VC in all their planes  ;D. I guess I will still have to zipdive at avsim or simflight before downloading for a few more years...  :P
Last edited by Daube on Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Katahu » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:28 pm

Well, I hope M$ keeps the 2D feature available because I have a long way to go when it comes to developing 2D panels for addons.

As for my comment about DVCs being ill-equipt: If you look at today's version of FS, all the gauges have a limit as how often they are updated every second. Tell me, do you think it's wise for you to learn IFR flying with DVC gauges that update themselves every 1 second [at best]? But thanks to FSX, that may not be a problem now that we know that the gauges are smoother. But don't forget that there are people who still want to use 2D panels.

Look at CFS3. It didn't have 2D panels and people got fired up because of that.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BAW0343 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:51 pm

i also prefer the 2D  the VC i always have to zoom in so that i can read it,  not very realistic now is it?  ;D :P  also 2D quite often is easyer on frames on lower spec computers.
Image Image
BAW0343
Major
Major

Postby Joe_D » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:48 pm

I'm glad FSX still suppports 2d panels.

Many (myself included) prefer a good 2d panel over a poorly modeled 3d panel.
Home airports are KMGJ and KSWF in Orange County, NY
Stop by and say hello. :)
Joe_D
Captain
Captain

Postby Daube » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:41 pm

I'm glad FSX still suppports 2d panels.

Many (myself included) prefer a good 2d panel over a poorly modeled 3d panel.

Well, because 2D panel still exists, we will still get many planes with poor VCs, or even no VCs at all, like 99% of the available planes...

Some prefer the panel that are easy to read, I prefer the panels that look like the real ones.

The video of the glider is a pretty good example for me. Last summer I could make my first real flight in a real glider. There I realized three things:

- the glider really behaves like the gliders of FS9, I wasn't expecting the sim to be so close to the real thing :) (and yes, I had control so I could really compare, at least in the normal flight enveloppe)

- the way I was looking at the instrument panel: I really had to bring my eyes down to the panel to look for the correct gauge, that was much closer to what was offered by a VC than a 2D cockpit....

- the way I was looking outside: the elements of the cockpit were actually masking my view just like a VC does. Not to mention the Track IR... 2D cockpit is really giving no sense of realism here, the field of view is not like the real stuff.

A lot of discussions in the other FSX topics have been about realism and people being scared about functionnalities that were making the sim looking more like a game than a real sim. For me, 2D panels are one of those functionnalities, because it makes the flight easier and it doesn't look at all like the real thing when you are seating in a real cockpit.

I didn't knew that so many people were not happy about the lack of 2D panels in CFS3. I didn't try that sim so I won't comment it, but in the same area we have IL2 and Pacific fighters. I think nobody ever complained about the lack of 2D panels there, did they ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Katahu » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:46 pm

but in the same area we have IL2 and Pacific fighters. I think nobody ever complained about the lack of 2D panels there, did they ?

I guess it's because those gauges aren't much useful when it comes to getting out of those impossible spins. ;D
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby flyboy 28 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:49 pm

I guess it's because those gauges aren't much useful when it comes to getting out of those impossible spins. ;D

That, and IL-2 is a combat sim. Take off, blow stuff up, and return. It's not really ment for real-life navigation.
flyboy 28
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam