thrust vectoring/VTOL/fly by wire

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: thrust vectoring/VTOL/fly by wire

Postby Tweek » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:31 pm

I'd just like to point this topic out to you, before you get too excited about the IRIS (as DSB in this topic) F-35. Not to pick fault, but to raise awareness.
Tweek

Postby machineman9 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:15 am

We already have fly by wire..............Joy stick - wire - computer. We have been doing a long time before the big boys ;D ;D ;D ;D

Matt

or wireless!

joystick- funny wireless thing- computer!
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:59 pm

Well I don't know why some people are saying that thrust vectoring is a long way to go because it would need complex flight models for each a/c...

X-Plane has it, so I assume that if M$ wanted to use it they should be able to...

Thrust vectoring is a joke to code as long as your physical engine in your game is made for using physical vectors. That's not the case of FS, unfortunately.

I tried some years ago to create my own flight sim (I had time, I was still looking for a job
Last edited by Daube on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BAW0343 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:03 am

I would personally LOVE to have a sim that I can take off from a Carrier with an F-18, do a mission in Iraq or some other country with working weapnary, radar, and targets, come back and land. Then be able to hop aboard the next chopper and go fly a 747 out of KBOS. But this brings the issue of what we called in CFS a UFI (unidentified flying idiot) They would constantly come into a game we just want to fly togeather peacefully and do a shoot em up. It also allows for some pretty sick things to be done in FS (like bombing civillians ::) ) also on the other side this would allow for something they have in FS Passengers, Civil aircraft damage from enemy fire, makes for interesting flights however, but not really appropriate.
Image Image
BAW0343
Major
Major

Postby ansteve1 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:17 pm

I would personally LOVE to have a sim that I can take off from a Carrier with an F-18, do a mission in Iraq or some other country with working weapnary, radar, and targets, come back and land. Then be able to hop aboard the next chopper and go fly a 747 out of KBOS. But this brings the issue of what we called in FS a UFI (unidentified flying idiot) They would constantly come into a game we just want to fly togeather peacefully and do a shoot em up. It also allows for some pretty sick things to be done in FS (like bombing civillians ::) ) also on the other side this would allow for something they have in FS Passengers, Civil aircraft damage from enemy fire, makes for interesting flights however, but not really appropriate.

That would cuase problems. But if there was a combat flight sim that had modern warefare with world wide coverage you would avoid idioits who try to shoot down civilian aircraft (But then again people can do this in fs9 with some of the effects that are out there)  :-/ :-[
Proud to Be A Marine
Semper fi
ansteve1
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Sooner266 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:40 pm

so far i have only seen aircraft with a sort of mega-flap capabability, where it just pitches straight down if you do something wrong. There's no real VERTICAL lift. so it is thrust vectoring sort of, just not really balanced right.
Last edited by Sooner266 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sooner266
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Ashton Lawson » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:36 pm

We have all seen thrust vectoring in FS9 (well, most of us have) and its safe to say that no-one (i think) have come up with a way to really make realistic thrust-vectoring.  Most people come up with gauges, or out-rageous .cfg files, but still no one can make true thrust vectoring.
I'm actually working on a separate program (like 3Wire) which can will calculate amounts of thrust, wind, bleeders (on harriers bleeders are small thrust outlets placed strategically on the aircraft to help control the aircraft during hover), and many other things to create a truely real thrust vectoring expierience...  I just have to work out how to access FS to change things (don't tell me to use FSUIPC, i don't like it much).

As for Fly-By-Wire, I think if you can make a some-what unstable aircraft, you could make a gauge for it to 'tweak' the players control surfaces.  But for now, I just want someone to make a Fly-By-Wire aircraft which simply turns a force-feedback joystick, into a auto-centering one.
FS Water Configurator+ has new modifications in the works, plus DirectX 10, Service Pack
1, and Radeon HD 3+ Series support.
Ashton Lawson
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:03 am

[quote]We have all seen thrust vectoring in FS9 (well, most of us have) and its safe to say that no-one (i think) have come up with a way to really make realistic thrust-vectoring.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ashton Lawson » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:23 pm

I'm still learning alot about the C++ Programming language, but i know many other languages so it shouldn't be too hard...  There are afew compilers out there which can make dll files, so I'll try to make this VTOL thing a module.

Now, addressing the Fly-By-Wire thing.  When you watch an F-22 fly (or F-16, not as much tho), you can notice that during level flight, the elevator/elevons are constantly moving abit up, down, with the rudder also moving in tiny bits.

Now, from what I understand about the modelling, why not make a self-animated 'dummy' object, named one of those turbine things at different speeds, then attach the elevons to them.  (This would not actually attach the elevons to them, but allow the elevons to move normally with tining changes when the dummy object moves.

That way, when the engine speed is really low, there are no movements.  But when you're at full throttle, the elevons allways slightly adjust! :D  This is only idea.  I don't understand the aircraft creation thing enough to be able to know for sure if this would work.
FS Water Configurator+ has new modifications in the works, plus DirectX 10, Service Pack
1, and Radeon HD 3+ Series support.
Ashton Lawson
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam