Some (4) more pics

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Some (4) more pics

Postby Katahu » Wed May 24, 2006 11:46 am

Has anyone bothered to listen to me when I said "don't jump to conclusions"?

Yeah.... but instead of fixing the numerous problems that relate to realistic flight (it is after all supposed to be a simulator).... they've clearly taken time to add "Flour Bombs" of all things!  Talk about lame.  And landing an ultralight on a carrier as part of a "mission"!

The last time I checked, a lot of people kept asking for missions but very few people stated what "kind" of missions. And about the "instead of fixing" part: Are you saying that based on just an assumption or is that a fact? If that's a fact then show me a website where M$ clearly states that they're not "fixing things".

Oh geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzeeeee.  This is sounding more like a GAME.

Hey, Orbiter has scenarios that resemble missions and nobody has called it a "game" because of that. In that case, FSX is not sounding like a "game" to me.

I thought they would be more realistic like actual stunts/races etc.

Uh, have you even bothered to notice the Red Bull races in the videos? If not, get some glasses and watch them again.

How long before that is modified by someone into a weapon system for FSX military aircraft and we end up with CFX

Excuse me but look at X-Plane. It fires off missiles and drops bombs that explode on impact and yet the majority of X-Plane fans don't seem to be bothered by it. In fact, they seem to like it. This is probably why M$ is adding weapons so as to catch up with X-Plane.

Pardon me for acting like this but I have noticed that everyone here is simply starting to lose touch with reality. In the past, we demanded to have missions in FS long before FSX was even mentioned by M$ and now look at us. We're complaining about it. Come on, what the heck is wrong with all of you guys? Time for the daily injections I guess.

And also, has anyone listened to me when I said that "weapons" are an old idea in the FS franchise that is most likely being brought back rather than "added"?

Come on guys, be realistic over here. You're jumping the gun one too many times. Again, are you forgetting what we have demanded in the past?
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby expat » Wed May 24, 2006 12:03 pm

And also, has anyone listened to me when I said that "weapons" are an old idea in the FS franchise that is most likely being brought back rather than "added"?

For weapons to be brought back they have to be present in the first place, Weapons have been CFS, not FS.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Katahu » Wed May 24, 2006 12:30 pm

For weapons to be brought back they have to be present in the first place, Weapons have been CFS, not FS.

Matt

http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsvault/downloads.htm

Take a look. Even though weapons in FS are ancient FS history it doesn't change the fact that the feature was there in the beginning. And notice that this feature existed in FS long before CFS even existed.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Wed May 24, 2006 1:27 pm

This is probably why M$ is adding weapons so as to catch up with X-Plane.

Katahu,

You missed quoting my comments about how we will not know what it is until it is out.
Last edited by JBaymore on Wed May 24, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby expat » Wed May 24, 2006 1:39 pm

http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsvault/downloads.htm

Take a look. Even though weapons in FS are ancient FS history it doesn't change the fact that the feature was there in the beginning. And notice that this feature existed in FS long before CFS even existed.

Humble pie, humble pie ;)

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby cavity » Wed May 24, 2006 3:41 pm

I am going to agree with John on this one.  I have always interpreted this sim to be a commercial/private aviation sim.  Why?  No weapons, no military aircraft, and such.  Having missions is fine, but those missions should relate to REAL aviation.  When is the last time any of us have flown an ultralight and dropped flour bombs on targets?  The mission could be flying a water tanker and dropping it on fires, and in my opinion would be much more realistic.  I know I dont have to fly the missions if I dont like them, I just feel that it is watering down the sim.  MS could release a game with tons of fun things to do like drop flour bombs and other things, without worrying about the scenery and airline traffic etc.  I just feel it shouldnt be part of this sim.  Focus on the real issues:stability, framerates, flight dynamics, weather, and ATC.  Once those are addressed, release an add-on with all the greatest missions one can think of, perhaps flying to space in a modified Cessna that uses flour for fuel.  Todd
cavity
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Overspeed » Wed May 24, 2006 4:16 pm

Is this stuff a selling point? It says flight simulator, and i personally have not seen people drop flour bombs from autogyros, or try to land autogyros on carriers...

its probably fun, but come on... it is a simulator
Overspeed
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby F-16Viper » Wed May 24, 2006 4:53 pm

hey, whats wrong with flour bombs? when you get board of crusing around, turn around and white-wash the houses ;D

Civil Air Patrol Member since July 2005
C/CMSgt       www.cap.gov
F-16Viper
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Wed May 24, 2006 8:18 pm

hey, whats wrong with flour bombs? when you get board of crusing around, turn around and white-wash the houses ;D

Anger Management 101 ;D
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby PisTon » Thu May 25, 2006 1:48 am

Hey thanks for the link :) Looks great.

I am extremly impressed with the red bull airraces too!

None of us know what it really will be like until it comes out.

Exactly, so how do you know they havn't fixed them bugs?
Last edited by PisTon on Thu May 25, 2006 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PisTon

Postby hypostomus2000 » Thu May 25, 2006 4:35 pm

Erm, like it or not, FS *is* a game, despite the name. Hardcore simmers and real life pilots may use and really want  it to be as real as it gets, but the vast majority of buyers, such as myself, just want to trundle about the world aimlessly, personally I use it as a relaxation aid. If you are a hardcare simmmer or real life pilot that's fine, but if Microsoft only catered to your needs there wouldn't be a big enough market and FS would be canned. So you have to accept more development time spent on graphics and missions. You may not use them but they're necessary to pull in more punters. And in the meantime I'll be able to fly over the Greek islands just as I've always done. Peace.
hypostomus2000
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Katahu » Thu May 25, 2006 5:17 pm

Why do people always say "most people see it as a game" as if it was a fact without backing up such a claim such with at least a legitimate article or such? It annoys me when people do that.

Katahu,

You missed quoting my comments about how we will not know what it is until it is out.

Notice that my comment says
This is probably* why M$ is adding weapons so as to catch up with X-Plane.

*Keyword: Probably. Therefore, it is just a theory. ;)
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Thu May 25, 2006 8:42 pm

If you are a hardcare simmmer or real life pilot that's fine, but if Microsoft only catered to your needs there wouldn't be a big enough market and FS would be canned. So you have to accept more development time spent on graphics and missions.

No we don't really have to accept them.  We can simply move over to X-Plane, which already has far better flight dynamics.  And if Miscorsoft loses the more serious simming folks... that too would significantly affect their sales.   If a large population moved to X-Plane, they then would have the financial wherwithall and user base to greatly expand their impact on the simming field.  And theereby steal more of Microsoft's flight simming market share.

You are likely very correct saying that the vast majority of the users are "casual" ones...... I have said that myself many, MANY times on these forums.  And what Microsoft is doing in that regard is clearly a financial and market based decision that, as a money making enterprise, is a very sound one.  

But that does not leave us "tied" to Microsoft or force us to like it.  ;)  And I think the more "serious simmers" are the ones that go out of their way to provide all of the freeware add-ons that make the "casual users" flight sim life so very much richer.  

If that "base" moves to X-Plane.... Microsoft stands to lose a lot, I think.

Hopefully, they will remember that fact....and give us "serious simmers" a lot more than "flour bombs" and window dressing in the new version.  And if we keep up the "verbal pressure" on the various forums.... there is still time for them to possibly address some of the issues that are near and dear to OUR hearts too.

I think it is long standing fear of the serious simmers that the Flight Sim franchise will cave in to the market driven money-making aspects of the massive "gaming" crowd.... and turn what was a very special piece of software into just another fast-twitch muscle, video arcade hit.  For a while a lot of people were terrified that the "X" in the title meant the new version was going to be X-Box based.  That over-reaction showed the level of anxiety there is on this subject.

We can only hope when the new version is in our hands.... it will offer a LOT more than eye candy and contrived stuff like the flour bombing scenario.  

God... that "flour bombing" thing is, to me at least, so incredibly lame that I almost wonder if the mention of it was some sort of sick joke by the folks that posted it, and it isn't really part of the new sim.  "Say it ain't so!"

best,

......................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Katahu » Thu May 25, 2006 9:05 pm

Oh well. Looks like I'm outnumbered and outflanked. Going to step away from this thread for now. Good points though. ;D
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam