Some (4) more pics

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Some (4) more pics

Postby Airshow_lover » Tue May 23, 2006 7:39 pm

http://www.abacuspub.com/

click on the FSX article on the right, it has some photos form E3.

It looks like FSX has a target indicator...what this is good for is beyond me ::) ;D
C/SMSgt - Civil Air Patrol
Airshow_lover
Major
Major

Re: Some (4) more pics

Postby JBaymore » Tue May 23, 2006 8:36 pm

Flour Bombs?  Drop flour bombs on the floating targets after you replenish the bombs by landing on the aircraft carrier with your ultralight.  

THIS is one of the 50 "missions"?

Oh geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzeeeee.  This is sounding more like a GAME.

best,

...................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby flyboy 28 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:39 pm

That's what I was worried about. Hopefully this will leave some simulation roots.
flyboy 28
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Katahu » Tue May 23, 2006 10:39 pm

Don't jump to conclusions guys. This whole mission thing is nothing new for the FS series. Look at the "OLD" FS versions that existed before FS even worked with color monitors. There were some instances where you could "shoot" in the civilian sim [until M$ decided to take it out long ago]. So in essense, the whole "drop a bomb" thing is simply an old feature that was once considered ancient FS history. If you want more info on the old sims go to this link:

http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/index.htm
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Travis » Tue May 23, 2006 11:19 pm

Well, from what I've been reading (not much) and seeing (even less) of the newest FS version, not much has been taken away, things have merely been added.  I assume it means that if us older FSers are looking to just do what we've been doing (ie: flying around under bridges and scaring St. Maarteners) then we'll be allowed to do just that.  But for those folks with a little less of an attention span (read: teenagers!) the missions are just a way to get someone a little more interested in flying around.  After all, most people I know personally have some very strange ideas of what simming actually means.

And I do believe that "target indicator" is just a visual reference as a nav aid.  Instead of tuning your nav radio and dialing in the freqs or whatnot, you just have that little dohicky up in the corner of the screen that tells you which direction to turn and when to do it.  My most likely assesment is that it will be an optional thing, like crashes and such.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby expat » Tue May 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Flour Bombs?  Drop flour bombs on the floating targets after you replenish the bombs by landing on the aircraft carrier with your ultralight.  

best,

...................john

How long before that is modified by someone into a weapon system for FSX military aircraft and we end up with CFX

Matt
Last edited by expat on Wed May 24, 2006 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Katahu » Wed May 24, 2006 1:26 am

How long before that is modified by someone into a weapon system for FSX military aircraft and we end up with CFX

Matt

Matt

Again, weapons in a civilian sim is an old idea in the FS franchise.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Wed May 24, 2006 7:36 am

I give it a week.
Last edited by JBaymore on Wed May 24, 2006 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JBaymore » Wed May 24, 2006 7:46 am

Well, from what I've been reading (not much) and seeing (even less) of the newest FS version, not much has been taken away, things have merely been added.

Yeah.... but instead of fixing the numerous problems that relate to realistic flight (it is after all supposed to be a simulator).... they've clearly taken time to add "Flour Bombs" of all things!  Talk about lame.  And landing an ultralight on a carrier as part of a "mission"!

If they fix the problem areas and add "Flour Bombs".... I've got no "issues".  Hope that is the case.  But if we get "Flour Bombs" but say the multiplayer interface is still as buggy as it is.... then in my boat... they missed the mark.

I wonder how much development time was devoted to stuff for the "hard core simmer"... and how much time was devoted to eye candy and attracting the "gamer market"?  So far....all they have released about it as they build "marketing hype" has targeted the superficial stuff.  As yet, no mention of improvements on the places that significantly touch on simulation.

Oh well.... guees we have to wait and see.

best,

.......john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Black ZR-1 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:56 am

Can anyone say Pilot Wings?
Last edited by Black ZR-1 on Wed May 24, 2006 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
i7 920
evga x58
6 gigs ddr3 1600 tripple channel
hd 5870 xfire
pcp@c silencer quad 750
3x dell u2410
Black ZR-1
Captain
Captain

Postby kipman725 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:31 am

Not impresed by the flour bomb mission.. I thought they would be more realistic like actual stunts/races etc.

The grand canyon shot looked impresive though  ;D
5900xt/2800+/280GB/1GB PC3200/Cyborg Evo Force/ABIT NF7
Gpu clock: 475mhz core, 800mhz mem
CPU at: 12.5x175 = 2187.5
memory: 2.5, 3, 3, 8 Duel channel on
kipman725
Captain
Captain

Postby Hai Perso Coyone? » Wed May 24, 2006 9:39 am

best,

...................john

I just changed my mind about FSX... :-/ :-/
Hai Perso Coyone?
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby JBaymore » Wed May 24, 2006 11:32 am

Why don't we wait till it comes out, as an someone who works with making add ons this whole mission thing means event triggering, advanced scenery interaction, better scenery.......

That is exactly the frustrating thing about the current series....starting with fs2004.  It has to be "fixed" by add-ons.

Instead of spending prescious development time and dollars on making it a better simulation, they put time and money into stuff like "flour bombs".  Heck, just fix the terrain mesh abnormalities and the airport towers and buildings in the middle of runways, for a good start.  If they've added "flour bombs" and missed those kinds of obvious "bloopers", .... well......we'll see what they have done.

THEN we have to wiat for the add-on developers to "fix" all the stuff that Microsoft didn't do.  For many of us.... this means adding a lot of dollars of payware addons to get what is possible in the sim......with some well focused attention.

Stuff like dropping flour bombs on floating targets is a clear move toward "gaming".  Economically, it makes sense for Microsoft to do this; the gaming market is huge.  That doesn't say I have to like that direction.

None of us know what it really will be like until it comes out.  But hopefully Microsoft is reading this stuff.... and can see what the publicity/marketing release of information is creating for an impression.  And maybe there is some development time left to address some stuff that is important to the non-gamer types.

best,

....john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hai Perso Coyone? » Wed May 24, 2006 11:36 am

That is exactly the frustrating thing about the current series....starting with fs2004.  It has to be "fixed" by add-ons.

Instead of spending prescious development time and dollars on making it a better simulation, they put time and money into stuff like "flour bombs".  Heck, just fix the terrain mesh abnormalities and the airport towers and buildings in the middle of runways, for a good start.  If they've added "flour bombs" and missed those kinds of obvious "bloopers", .... well......we'll see what they have done.

THEN we have to wiat for the add-on developers to "fix" all the stuff that Microsoft didn't do.  For many of us.... this means adding a lot of dollars of payware addons to get what is possible in the sim......with some well focused attention.

Stuff like dropping flour bombs on floating targets is a clear move toward "gaming".  Economically, it makes sense for Microsoft to do this; the gaming market is huge.  That doesn't say I have to like that direction.

None of us know what it really will be like until it comes out.  But hopefully Microsoft is reading this stuff.... and can see what the publicity/marketing release of information is creating for an impression.  And maybe there is some development time left to address some stuff that is important to the non-gamer types.

best,

....john

I wholeheartedly agree John... :)
Hai Perso Coyone?
Ground hog
Ground hog

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam