Mmmm Why X ?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Mmmm Why X ?

Postby Katahu » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:32 pm

I have just noticed in your post, why on earth would it be called 10 men, or 10 games? Its not the NUMERAL, its the letter.

Good point. But you gotta remember, little kids don't know the numerals and the letter X [or numeral X - however you like to call it] is just a letter X to the kids when they watch X-Men. ;D
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:33 pm

If you have a long running line of products, as Microsoft does withit Flightsim, that are all 'numbered' in one way, you wouldnt change that. eg. the Rocky show, they wouldnt have gone, Rocky I, Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky 4. Would they now?

Why not? That's exactly what they did with the Spitfire.
http://www.spitfiresociety.demon.co.uk/whatmark.htm

The marketing of FS has varied over the years to keep up with changing trends. Very few people referred to FS98 as FS6 & it only reverted to that system of numbering with FS2004. The next logical step is to combine the Roman numeral X meaning 10 with a little bit of mystery. That's how these people's minds work.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby TheBod1357 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:47 am

exactly, its all marketing, it is a way to catch someone's eye as they are browsing shelves. And, like I said before, the mystery factor. We need to consider those fliers outside of our SimV world, who dont know or have shrewd ideas about what M$ will include in FSX. They may see FS 2006 on the shelves and decide that their current FS 2004 is good enough for them. It just gets redundant. However, consider the same person looking at Flight Simulator X. They are going to wonder about the X, naturally. First they will pick it up off the shelves and look to see if it is the new Microsoft Simulator, or just another new, not Microsoft simulator.

Once they deduce that it is indeed Microsoft Flight Simulator 2006 under a different label design, they will then procede to read everything on the box to find out the meaning of the X, which will lead them to see the screenshots that are always included on the labels describing the new simulator. Now that they have pictures to prove that FSX graphics far exceed those of FS9, the customer will then proceed to further wonder about the X, reading through the shortlisted "New-Features" that will also be included on the box. Excited by promises of more realistic flight, many new aircraft, higher quality graphics, "and much, much more!" The customer will then check the price tag: around $50. "Wow, thats a steal!" $50 for Microsoft's revolutionized new simulator! Flight Simulator X, "M$ must be pretty proud and excited about this simulator", so much so, that they wanted it to stand out from the previous simulators. From Flight Simulator 2004 "A Century of Flight" to the new and mysterious "Flight Simulator X".

Thats how I see it playing out.

Oh yes, the customer then proceeds to buy the simulator, return home, immediately install it, and then.......well we will just have to wait and see how the story ends!

Holiday Season 2006!The release of FSX, and the exciting conclusion to the story, Dont miss it! ;D
TheBod1357
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Katahu » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:25 pm

exactly, its all marketing, it is a way to catch someone's eye as they are browsing shelves. And, like I said before, the mystery factor. We need to consider those fliers outside of our SimV world, who dont know or have shrewd ideas about what M$ will include in FSX. They may see FS 2006 on the shelves and decide that their current FS 2004 is good enough for them. It just gets redundant. However, consider the same person looking at Flight Simulator X. They are going to wonder about the X, naturally. First they will pick it up off the shelves and look to see if it is the new Microsoft Simulator, or just another new, not Microsoft simulator.

Once they deduce that it is indeed Microsoft Flight Simulator 2006 under a different label design, they will then procede to read everything on the box to find out the meaning of the X, which will lead them to see the screenshots that are always included on the labels describing the new simulator. Now that they have pictures to prove that FSX graphics far exceed those of FS9, the customer will then proceed to further wonder about the X, reading through the shortlisted "New-Features" that will also be included on the box. Excited by promises of more realistic flight, many new aircraft, higher quality graphics, "and much, much more!" The customer will then check the price tag: around $50. "Wow, thats a steal!" $50 for Microsoft's revolutionized new simulator! Flight Simulator X, "M$ must be pretty proud and excited about this simulator", so much so, that they wanted it to stand out from the previous simulators. From Flight Simulator 2004 "A Century of Flight" to the new and mysterious "Flight Simulator X".

Oh yes, the customer then proceeds to buy the simulator, return home, immediately install it, and then.......well we will just have to wait and see how the story ends!

Holiday Season 2006!The release of FSX, and the exciting conclusion to the story, Dont miss it! ;D

$50? Many of us predict the price to be about $60 or $70. ;D
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TheBod1357 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:36 pm

apologies, but the price was not the point
TheBod1357
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Katahu » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:41 pm

We know. It's that we've known that your scenario would always be the case for most customers. Besides, we'll buy FSX anyways [just because]. ;D
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BFMF » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:43 pm

Than what was the point?

oh wait, never mind..... ;D
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:55 pm

I have just noticed in your post, why on earth would it be called 10 men, or 10 games? Its not the NUMERAL, its the letter.

IN the case of "FS-X"  I'll venture it's a pleasant combination of both the number "10" and the letter "X".

This will be the tenth version of the Flight Simulator product,   calling it "FSX" let's it settle into a tidy 3-character acronym; using the "X" ties it into the trendy "X" factor - as stated earlier ... XBOX, X-Men,  ...
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby TheBod1357 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:21 pm

I dont think M$ is worried about the X making a convenient acronym...
TheBod1357
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby kipman725 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:50 pm

X is quite a good name for m$ makes more sense than "xp"
5900xt/2800+/280GB/1GB PC3200/Cyborg Evo Force/ABIT NF7
Gpu clock: 475mhz core, 800mhz mem
CPU at: 12.5x175 = 2187.5
memory: 2.5, 3, 3, 8 Duel channel on
kipman725
Captain
Captain

Postby born_2_fly » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:18 pm

X is quite a good name for m$ makes more sense than "xp"

Do you realize what we are talking about? Where does XP come into it, and why does it make more sense for microsoft?
Thanks Katahu.

Born 2 fly
born_2_fly

Postby Joe_D » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:59 am

MS stopped
Last edited by Joe_D on Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Home airports are KMGJ and KSWF in Orange County, NY
Stop by and say hello. :)
Joe_D
Captain
Captain

Postby candle_86 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:27 am

Well its like X-fire like many said the X makes you wonder.  Heck i want FSX after just a single screenshot, but i still cant play FS9 at max so who knows. And i have the old FS producst, was playing FS3 the other day for kicks
candle_86
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby MattNW » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:25 pm

You forgot one reason. It creates speculation on the topic of, "why did they name it -X" and people go on to post questions and answers in FS forums and that's more exposure for the upcoming product. MS has it all figured out. Anyone ever take "Business Psych 101" in school? Bill didn't become the richest person in the world by missing any angles.  ;D
In Memory of John Consterdine (FS Tipster)1962-2003
MattNW
Major
Major

Postby JBaymore » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:03 pm

Maybe it is because it is going to be cross platform and ported to X Box also?

best,

........john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam