GCA?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

GCA?

Postby alb469 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:52 am

Has there been any mention of a GCA function being added to fsx. With visibility down to almost zero it could make for some interesting landings
alb469
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: GCA ?

Postby expat » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:34 am

Seems "talk down" is a sticky subject that myself and Charlie have broached a couple of times. The thread always seems to end up with a raging argument stimulation conversation about how a civilian flight sim will be hijacked by the military nuts and turned into a "shoot em up".  :(

However I will say it again:

GCA......YES PLEASE

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: GCA?

Postby TheBod1357 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:56 am

GCA stands for what?
TheBod1357
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Delta_ » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:23 am

GCA stands for what?

Ground Controlled Approach.  

It means the atc can guide you into land in poor conditions using precision radar.  Basically the atc tell you what bank, rudder, throttle settings etc you need... They will tell what to change so you stay on track and land safely. ;)
Last edited by Delta_ on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delta_
Major
Major

Postby Hai Perso Coyone? » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:40 am

May I add that Cloud9's Aviano Air Base scenery has that GCA thing for FS9... ;)
Hai Perso Coyone?
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby C » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:46 pm

May I add that Cloud9's Aviano Air Base scenery has that GCA thing for FS9... ;)

Mmm, I saw the demo video and was almost tempted. Maybe with a little tweaking it could be realistic enough. However, if MS were to write it into the code of the sim, then it would be much better...

As Matt says, we've debated this at length once or twice... ;) ;D I'm all for it...
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby alb469 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:32 pm

Interesting We did not know it was military only.Is it? We were stationed at an RCAF base and was on many practice flights were the pilots practiced GCA landings. I just assumed it was commonplace at all airports. It is a tough course to learn how to be a GCA controller, having known a few during my RCAF time. Are there any at civil airports?
alb469
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby C » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:48 am

Interesting We did not know it was military only.Is it? We were stationed at an RCAF base and was on many practice flights were the pilots practiced GCA landings. I just assumed it was commonplace at all airports. It is a tough course to learn how to be a GCA controller, having known a few during my RCAF time. Are there any at civil airports?

I wouldn't say it was military only. Certainly I've never seen a civilian PAR (Precision approach radar - Talkdown) in my experience, but I'm sure civilian fields with radar could something such as an SRA...
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby logjam » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:49 pm

GCA is used only by the Military, but some Aerodromes allow civilian flights to practise what they once did every day.  Actually, GCA approaches were never considered by the CAA, believing that all approaches should be in the hands of the pilot. The Military use it as matter of course, as a badly damaged aircraft may have lost most instruments during a mission. During my time with the RAF, I was most impressed with the US GCA controllers at Lakenheath and Mildenhall as they would seem to be more accurate, giving height information within 10 ft. I'm sure though that some of them must have been dreaming. The Brit GCA controllers all have to be trained pilots too, so they probably were more realistic with their precision approaches.

Making a World of Difference
logjam
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam