Meig's Field

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Meig's Field

Postby Capt._Viper » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:36 am

I'll toss in my two bits for Santa Monica, Home of the first DC-3 test flight. 8)
Capt._Viper
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby simonmd » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:39 am

Can I ask what reason the Major gave for closing it suddenly? Was it to make money on the land? I'd have thought that the Meigs real estate would be very valuable.
This months's screenshot contest entry> http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1197692798
simonmd
Major
Major

Postby dcunning30 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:27 am

Can I ask what reason the Major gave for closing it suddenly? Was it to make money on the land? I'd have thought that the Meigs real estate would be very valuable.

As it's reported, Chicago Mayor Daley's wife wanted to turn Meigs field into a park.  He had been looking for a reason (excuse) to close down Meigs, but the FAA would have none of it.  When 9/11 happened, he claimed terrorists could take off from Meigs and crash into the Sears Tower, but that didn't fly, pun intended.

Previously, Daley and Illinois Governor Ryan had a joint agreement with the FAA to not get rid of Meigs.  When Ryan lost his re-election bid (which marked a milestone for the beginning of his corruption trial) Daley, decided on the basis of a technicality their agreement with the federal government was no longer valid since Ryan was no longer governor.

And to impose his will to close down the airport, Daley hired some non-union workers to come in in the middle of the night and carve huge X's into the runway, rendering it unusable.  It was noted about the union status of the workers added to the intriege due to Chicago being a strong union-friendly town.  Also, Daley didn't even notify the FAA when he did it.  The FAA learned about what was done AFTER the fact, just as the owners of several planes rendered stranded at Meigs as well.

The general concensus with Chicago citizens was "Yea, Daley was wrong, but who cares?"  Chicago citizens are used to government corruption and intriegue.  Since the Meigs incident, there have been many more scandals and incident of government corruption.  It's just life in the "City with Broad Shoulders"
TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE 34 RR THE WORLD WONDERS
dcunning30
Major
Major

Postby simonmd » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:28 pm

Wow, you couldn't make it up could you?! Surprised they didn't want to shut down KORD for the same reason!
This months's screenshot contest entry> http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1197692798
simonmd
Major
Major

Postby dcunning30 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Sad.   :-/

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE 34 RR THE WORLD WONDERS
dcunning30
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:09 pm

[quote]Sad.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby commoner » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:25 pm

.....Oh dear...I feel quite ill from seeing such vandalism....must get a couple of tabs and lie down..............dcunning please give a bit of warning if you must post such awful pics..........commoner :o :o ;D
Image"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
commoner
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:35 pm

x-rated

Good one. :D

Shame to see an airfield like that. I hope this doesn't give people ideas. I suspect plenty of people would like to see their local airfields vandalised like that in this country. ::)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hai Perso Coyone? » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:39 pm

I personally have my default airport set to whereever I live...when I was in Sudan it was Khartoum International...and now in Italy....it's LAGO's Rome....along with the city's scenery highly realistic.... 8) 8)
Hai Perso Coyone?
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby KDSM » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:52 pm

And ya know whats funny?
Chicago used  over 2 million it got from washington for airport improvements to destroy meigs
KDSM
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:04 pm

[quote]And ya know whats funny?
Chicago used
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:20 pm

So in a country with almost as many guns as people, why don't you shoot him? :D :D :D
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby dcunning30 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:38 pm

So in a country with almost as many guns as people, why don't you shoot him? :D :D :D

You never heard of the "Daley Machine"?

Daley knows people who can get things done.  You go after Daley and you are given a set of cement boots, and you go swimming in lake Michigan.   ;)
dcunning30
Major
Major

Postby KDSM » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:41 pm

[quote]

You never heard of the "Daley Machine"?

Daley knows people who can get things done.
KDSM
Major
Major

Postby Wing Nut » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:57 pm

[quote]I've driven past what was once Meigs last summer.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam