Meig's Field

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Meig's Field

Postby commoner » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:24 am

...Meigs has been a part of FS for so long now as the default strip and I did all my early FS flying training from there and will be sure to miss it now that it is closed.........

I wonder how they will deal with it in the new FSX......Hope they treat it with respect and not just leave it as a blot on the land scape.......Maybe a memorial plaque that can be read from 500ft would be nice..........

I wonder too which airfield will be the new "default"....some thing about the size of Meig's Field probably. Not one of the big ones for sure. Bound to be in the US for obvious reasons I think...any suggestions/guesses?..........commoner. ;)
Image"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
commoner
Major
Major

Re: Meig's Field

Postby microlight » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:48 am

It's been a long while since my FS9 startup airport was the default (now it's my local at Shoreham in England) but I seem to remember that the default was Seattle/Tacoma rather than Meigs? Or is an old man's memory playing tricks?

;)
microlight
Major
Major

Postby commoner » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:47 am

It's been a long while since my FS9 startup airport was the default (now it's my local at Shoreham in England) but I seem to remember that the default was Seattle/Tacoma rather than Meigs? Or is an old man's memory playing tricks?

;)

............LOL...yes ..probably this old man.. ;D..should maybe have said MY default home base...but the questions remain...what about Meigs and which will be the FSX "home" field...... ;D ;D ;D
Last edited by commoner on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
commoner
Major
Major

Postby KDSM » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:51 am

It will probably be SEA/TAC like it is now dont see any reason for MS to change it.
KDSM
Major
Major

Postby Jakemaster » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:02 am

Naaa, its gonna be KIAH-Bush Intercontinental Houston

Or KSFO, KLAX.  Doubt KSEA, but probably a big airport
Jakemaster

Postby The Ruptured Duck » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:15 am

does it matter if we already change the default home field?
"If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing" -Ben Franklin

"Man must rise above the Earth to the top of the atmosphere and beyond, for only
The Ruptured Duck
Major
Major

Postby legoalex2000 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:48 pm

why not whats closest to meigs... O'Hare

(well technically it's midway, but bleh to midway!)

:)Ramos
legoalex2000

Postby BAW0343 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:53 pm

well for me the default is seattle tacoma for fs 9 and meigs in 2002  so FSx will be something diffrent
Image Image
BAW0343
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:18 pm

[quote]well for me the default is seattle tacoma for fs 9 and meigs in 2002
Last edited by Hagar on Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby simonmd » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:27 pm

And also the home town for Boeing too. They stayed with Meigs until it closed, can't see why another 'home airport' change would happen. Personaly, i'm glad they changed it anyway. In FS2000, I was getting tired of having to change AC and airport if I wanted to take something heavy for a spin!

Seattle is a stunning area and has educated this Brit as to what the NW of the US is like. You've got almost every kind or terrain virtualy within sight of the airport, snow capped mountains, valleys, flat plains, lakes and coastlines, industrial areas, high rise buildings, large and small airports. Where better?
This months's screenshot contest entry> http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1197692798
simonmd
Major
Major

Postby BAW0343 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:38 pm

thats a good thought  never thought of seattle like that  i only use it when i wana test a plane real quick and i dont pay attention to the scenery (unless i'm about to crash into it  ;) )
Image Image
BAW0343
Major
Major

Postby brantmacga » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:11 pm

I think Meigs started as the default because that was Bruce Artwicks home airport. Not sure exactly but I know he went to school in Chicago and I think he developed flight sim while he was there. I guess Gates just finally decided to change it to his home airport. :D I would imagine a lot of development for the game is done out of KSEA. These are just my assumptions.
brantmacga
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby GuitarFreak » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:39 pm

Just curious...how can you change the default airport?
Current Computer specs:

e8600@4.5GHz 1.31v/swiftech apogee GTZ/MCR320/MCP655
EVGA 790i Ultra
MSI GTX280 / XSPC Razor
4GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1800
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
1500GB S
GuitarFreak
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Katahu » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:08 pm

I usually switch the default airport to the one of the following specifications:

1. Switch default to my current location [Love flying the Herc - the P-38 is still on top of my list though].

2. Switch to where most of my family live.

3. Switch to my country of birth. Did you know that Nicaragua has the biggest lakes in Latin America? It also has wide mountains and plains.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby logjam » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:37 am

I'm sure that the default airport will remain Seatac, but BG's home airport is actually Bremerton Municipal. It's a good place to make default if you are bent on certification in Flt Simming.

Making a World of Difference
logjam
Major
Major

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam