backwards compatibility, really ?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

backwards compatibility, really ?

Postby x_jasper » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:58 pm

I read from the official FSX Q & A on this site that FSX will be backwards compatible. There appears to be a deffinate statement to this effect and if true would be a welcome feature.

Possibly there could be some confusion on the exact meaning of backwards compatibility.

From the Q & A you can understand if people think FSX aircraft will work with say FS9.

I strongly suspect this will not be the case and what MS actually mean is FSX will accept FS9 aircraft.

Truly this represents forward compatibility on the part of FS9, and NOT backwards on the part of FSX.

Some might be preparing to buy FSX on the strength of this claim alone.

I do feel this is a point needing clarification, along with some info on how FSX will be coded. i.e. XML ?
If it is XML I personally won't bother with this sim, CFS3 was enough.

Impressive screenshots !! From these you can see high comp specs are needed. Maybe this could be the excuse I need for an upgrade ;D

I wonder if FSX will run on a MAC via X-Platform ?

Regards all
Jasper
P4 2.5. massive huge 10 foot display.
x_jasper
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: backwards compatibility, really ?

Postby flyboy 28 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:04 pm

I wonder if FSX will run on a MAC via X-Platform ?

Probably not. If it's to be optimized for Vista, I'm almost positive that it wouldn't work for it's competition.
flyboy 28
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Katahu » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:19 pm

I do feel this is a point needing clarification, along with some info on how FSX will be coded. i.e. XML ?
If it is XML I personally won't bother with this sim, CFS3 was enough.

The XML language has been around long enough for addon developers to understand and utilize [look at Bill Lyon's freeware addons]. Even scenery developers are familiar with it since the XML is useful for placing library objects within FS. And don't forget, the latest gauges are now XML-based [which is much easier compared to the old format].

CFS3 was a completely different engine. That was M$'s setback. In the case of the XML, developers like it because it allows a full range of options when creating animated parts and effects [like the rain drops on the DVC windshield] when creating Visual Models.

Most of the members in the FS community are already aware of the backwards-compatability issue and are already aware on which way it works for years. We then pass on that knowledge to newbies who are new to FS [just like what you're doing right now].

So, XML is already here and has stayed here for over a year because everyone likes it. A lot of people didn't like CFS3 because of the way the game engine worked.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:20 pm

Backwards compatibility, as I've seen over the past FS versions,  generally means that models built for FS9 can be used in FS-X with no problems.  It probably also mean that models built for FS2002 specifically will also be FS-X compatible.

Just as FS2000 models had compatibility problems in FS9, I would not expect FS2000 models to even be loadable in FS-X

(The above is *my* own, unsubstantiated, opinion)
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:59 pm

If you are to get any of these huge great advancements from previous versions of FS then backwards compatability will go out the window.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ctjoyce » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:56 pm

Why do we care? Why not wate for the add ons that were moddled for FSX. I'm sure that we are going to see drastic improovements in moddleing and texturing.

Cheers
Cameron
CTJoyce, Modding and voiding warranties since 2003
Sheila's Specs:ASUS Striker Extreme 680i, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz, Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400C4 2GB, 2x eVGA 7900GT KO,  Western Digital 80GB SATA & 250GB SATAIII
[b]Vesp
ctjoyce
Major
Major

Postby legoalex2000 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:33 am

Backwards compatibility, as I've seen over the past FS versions,  generally means that models built for FS9 can be used in FS-X with no problems.  It probably also mean that models built for FS2002 specifically will also be FS-X compatible.

Just as FS2000 models had compatibility problems in FS9, I would not expect FS2000 models to even be loadable in FS-X

(The above is *my* own, unsubstantiated, opinion)

gotta be careful, cause only the latter models of FS2002 would be compatible with FS9, and thus FSX.

:)Ramos
legoalex2000

Postby TacitBlue » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:57 am

Why do we care?

Because we all have our favorite aircraft. Plus, it just seems watefull to have all of these great add-ons that we couldn't use with the new sim. On the other hand, if the new engine is so much better (kind of doubt that it will be), then I wouldn't really care.
A&P Mechanic, Rankin Aircraft 78Y

Aircraft are naturally beautiful because form follows function. -TB
TacitBlue
Major
Major

Postby x_jasper » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:25 am

TacitBlue makes a wise point about the FSX flight engine, doubting it will be as good or better.

From the screenshots released this sim does look very impressive, I think most people will have realised this product is only going to run properly on high-end systems.

Personally, I would build a new system specially for this sim but am holding back for one main reason: 'the flight engine'

There are rumours to say that FSX will be a combat sim, whether or not this is true I don't know but I hope the thing doesn't include a multiplay file checker along with lousey dynamics. That would spoil it.

I had to 're-write' the CFS3 jets as stand-alones because of this.

We shall see  :-/ but fact is MS have not as yet released enough info. Maybe they havn't decided themselves which way FSX is going.

P.S. anyone know of a good M/Board with PCI express, 3Ghz+ that will boot from SCSI Ultra360 ?

Regards
Jasper
x_jasper
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Katahu » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:32 pm

LOL @ x_jasper!!!

My friend, don't listen to the romurs. Bill gates knows fully well that FSX is sell much better if it's kept as a normal flight sim. ;D

Hands down that M$ will release FSX as a normal flight sim [as it has for ages].
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ctjoyce » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:08 pm

P.S. anyone know of a good M/Board with PCI express, 3Ghz+ that will boot from SCSI Ultra360 ?

Well and Gigabyte or Asus LGA775 boards will do fine, but I doubt that your gonna find a SCSI port sorry

Cheers
Cameron
Sheila's Specs:ASUS Striker Extreme 680i, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz, Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400C4 2GB, 2x eVGA 7900GT KO,  Western Digital 80GB SATA & 250GB SATAIII
[b]Vesp
ctjoyce
Major
Major

Postby x_jasper » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:25 pm

Well and Gigabyte or Asus LGA775 boards will do fine, but I doubt that your gonna find a SCSI port sorry

Cheers
Cameron

Sorry, I meant bootable from PCI slot that has ULTRA360 scsi card. No matter though it was a hair brained idea anyways.

Regards
x_jasper
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ctjoyce » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:02 pm

It should boot from that, cant see why it wouldnt

Cheers
Cameron
[b]Vesp
ctjoyce
Major
Major

Postby x_jasper » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:15 am

Some don't. Our current microstar will communicate no problem via PCI scsi, but will not boot from it.

Only reason I tinkered with the idea was because FS2004 on my Son's machine writes to hard disk during running, despite 512Mb DDR.

Secondly, SCSI Ultra 320 is nice and fast  :)

However if I build a new machine I'd probably include enough RAM anyways to cope.

I am waiting to see what is said about FSX after it's release before making any decisions. I don't mind so much the power needed to run the graphics, but if it has a lousey flight engine I certainly won't bother with it.

I'm very weary of Microsoft's deffinition of accurate dynamics.

So it all hinges on a few details really, but thanks for your help it is appreciated.

Regards
Jasper
x_jasper
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby microlight » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:17 am

Meanwhile, back on subject ...  ;)

Quite a number of my FS2002 aircraft work fine in FS9 (with some dynamics tweaking) - but there are some that don't, strangely. These are the Freeware Flight Group's (FFG) 737 models. Being something of a 737 collector, FFG's -900 was one of the very few -900s out there, and was excellent in FS2002. However, the engine interiors disappear in FS9, leading me to suspect that the FFG 737s were originally designed for FS2000 and upgraded. (Having to use a flyable Aardvark -900 at the moment until someone designs a bespoke -900!)

So I really do hope that FSX will be compatible enough to be able to use my current collection. Otherwise, I can't see me buying it immediately, or at least until enough addons are available to make it worth while....

;)
microlight
Major
Major

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam