backwards compatibility, really ?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: backwards compatibility, really ?

Postby Hagar » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:27 am

[quote]Meanwhile, back on subject ...

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby microlight » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:57 am

I guess that it's always going to be a challenge for the developers to move forward with software like FS, where so many talented people out there go to great lengths to write addons for the current version of it. Doesn't happen in many other software products as far as I'm aware.

An alternative might be for the developers to cover all the bases and provide a complete range of addons with the product as 'standard' - but then who in these forums would want that? Half the fun is with tinkering and adding things on.

On a constructive note - at least it would challenge the current sim population to get busy PDQ!

;)
microlight
Major
Major

Postby x_jasper » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:34 am

Some very constructive input here. Lets just hope Microsoft have an eye on what the sim community is expecting.

In my opinion they really are going to have to get this one right, otherwise I suspect two sales failures (CFS3) from a marketing point of view will mean Microsoft withdraws from flight simulators.

Short of straight answers from Microsoft, at the moment all we can do is speculate.

It would be quite annoying though to have gone to the bother of upgrading to premium spec, only to find there was no point in doing so.

Regards all

Jasper
P4 2.5. massive huge 10 foot display.
x_jasper
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Katahu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:29 pm

In my opinion they really are going to have to get this one right, otherwise I suspect two sales failures (CFS3) from a marketing point of view will mean Microsoft withdraws from flight simulators.

CFS3 only failed because it had a different engine than all the other sims in the past [except FS95 and earlier]. If M$ continues to use the same engine as usual, then FS will live on. And right now, there is a 99% chance that M$ will still use the old engine since they are concerned about compatibility.

$10 says that FSX will not fail.

BTW, making a sim [let alone the whole world] is a daunting task and all sims are prone to errors [like video game glitches]. Look at Orbiter Space Flight Simulator. The   sim crashed to the desktop whenever you orbit too long [especially if you are traveling from planet to planet]. X-Plane is not immune either. They still have to fix the water landings [seaplanes tend to bouce too much] and it should have a simpler Aircraft Maker program. So, as the old saying goes:

"Nobody is perfect."
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Dianna78sg » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:41 am

I hoping the way on creating scenery is not as different than FS2004...coz I already used to it...and I hope for capabilities on making ground scenery without have to use previous version of FS's sdk (as in FS2004, you have to use FS2002 sdk to create ground that cast shadow)
Dianna78sg
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby x_jasper » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:49 am

Quoted:CFS3 only failed because it had a different engine than all the other sims.

Actually the flight engine in CFS3 is the same as FS2002.

Problems with poor modelling in the flight engine do seem common to all versions.
Last edited by x_jasper on Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
x_jasper
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Katahu » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:15 pm

Quoted:CFS3 only failed because it had a different engine than all the other sims.

Actually the flight engine in CFS3 is the same as FS2002.

I have BOTH CFS3 and FS2002 [as well as FS95 and FS98]. Tell me, how many CFS3 addons can work in FS2002? If you can show me at least ONE that can work in both of those sims, then I'll shut up. But in the meantime, do your research.

After carefully reading every review that I saw in the FS community [not just in this forum, but in others as well], it turns out that FS2002 and CFS2 [two] have similar engines, not CFS3 [three]. I believe you must have misread a review or the review you read must have been inaccurate.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:27 pm

After carefully reading every review that I saw in the FS community [not just in this forum, but in others as well], it turns out that FS2002 and CFS2 [two] have similar engines, not CFS3 [three]. I believe you must have misread a review or the review you read must have been inaccurate.

I was inclined to agree with you on this Kat but after reading his comments carefully Jasper is referring to the flight model, not the graphics engine. http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/readers_faq.asp
Q: I am avidly awaiting the game's release! I understand from the FAQ that older aircraft will not import to CFS3; but will that work both ways? Will the new CFS3 aircraft import back to FS2K2 or CFS2?
A: This is popular question from the add-on community. Both Combat Flight Simulator 3 and Flight Simulator 2002 have grown to the point where they now use independent code bases, but continue to share the aircraft flight model engine. In order to implement the new graphics engine for Combat Flight Simulator 3, aircraft formats needed to be altered for the new product.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Katahu » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:38 pm

I was inclined to agree with you on this Kat but after reading his comments carefully Jasper is referring to the flight model, not the graphics engine. http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/readers_faq.asp

Woops!
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby x_jasper » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:11 pm

lol  ;D
x_jasper
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous