Damage

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Damage

Postby Katahu » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:27 pm

Me, I really don't mind seeing a plane get stuck into the ground like an arrow on a dartboard because I don't crash at all. I like practicing hard landings for the Great SimV Races, but that's only for honing in on my emergency landing skills. Other than that, I just fly normally and land normally on my lovely P-38 [don't want to scratch that baby].
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby cleobis » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:15 am

I agree that explosions and stuff like that are not needed, and make have no reason to exist in fs9. All I want is "recoveral damage", I mean, the kind of damage that can almost make you crash but that with some skill you might just pull through...

Elevators that don't work, flaps broken, belly landings, etc,etc.

I'm not an advocate of violence just for the sake of violence. If violence is part of the expirence, as in il2 planes tearing upo in flames, I see no prblm, but in fs there is no need for that kind of thing.

Anyways, I hope that MS implemente that kind of "recoveral damage", as for the rest, I hope people don't go to extremes, because then all the comuniti would suffer.

cheers
*** For
cleobis
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 am

I would also like to see some more realistic damage effects.........but not to the extent of charred body parts lying about.
Last edited by JBaymore on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby cleobis » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:10 pm

spot on JB. Totally agree ;)
*** For
cleobis
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby wealthysoup » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:12 pm

yeah I agree exactly with what john baymore says  8)
Sounds about right, and  no  charred body parts :D
My PC specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3200 (@ 2.2ghz)
Asus K8v se deluxe motherboard
1.5gb pc3200 RAM
128mb palit geforce 6600gt
200gb+80gb hard drives
21 inch CRT
5.1 creative surround sound speakers
wealthysoup
Captain
Captain

Postby TheBod1357 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:04 pm

I dont know, I am for mild damage effects, but more so to the extent that you can tell that there is something wrong, without the need for an explosion or "tearing" of the fuselage. To simulate a belly landing without the green "CRASH!" running along the top would be nice, and sparks is ok, but I think that actually showing the damage such as tearing and such, is not necessary, if you get some smoke from over-exerted brakes, and some sparks if your landing gear caves and you belly-out, I think you get the idea.

And I completely agree with the recoverable damage idea. The last thing I need or want on a 2-4 hour flight is something to go wrong that is not even going to allow me to make a successful emergency landing. If you damage flaps, or spoilers or landing gear, or if you have a wing that begins losing fuel, it is still very possible to successfully land the plane, with a hint of urgency in many cases mind, but still. The only non-recoverable damage I can consider is blatantly ignoring a massive thunderstorm and flying directly into a huge, dark, obviously dangerous cloud, which indeed can rip a plane to shreds. Not that I need to see it, but it would be nice for there to be some kind of punishment for such naive behavior.
And as far as propellar damage, I can handle that, if a prop plane makes a belly landing, I am pretty sure the prop is less dense than the runway, and therefore will cave. The only other damage that I could possibly see is for a malfunctioning engine, such as smoke.

Now on the lighthearted side, it would be quite funny to shred a misfortunate duck who ventures into the path of a triple 7's massive GE engines... ;D. Sorry, had to get a little humor in here.
TheBod1357
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:02 pm

Now on the lighthearted side, it would be quite funny to shred a misfortunate duck who ventures into the path of a triple 7's massive GE engines... ;D. Sorry, had to get a little humor in here.

Add a little Hoisin sauce and we have mo shu duck.   ;)

best,

....john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Katahu » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:49 pm

Roast Duck is more like it. ;D
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:53 pm

Roast Duck is more like it. ;D

Nah...... it's shredded and flash cooked....like stir fry.
Last edited by JBaymore on Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby expat » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:06 pm

Nah...... it's shredded and flash cooked....like stir fry.   ;)

The probability that it would enter the core engine is small, more likely to be spat out of the bypass and freeze dried............Duck Jerky anyone?

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Radopilot » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:23 pm

nah, just throw a goose in there and all the feathers go flying out. goose pillows with a whiff of aviation fuel anyone?  :D  ;)
Proud iPod Touch Owner, 1.5 Hours Real World Piloting Time
Radopilot
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Radopilot » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 pm

lol that would be funny, or if you wind up crashing trump's own personal jet u like wind up behind bar with donald trump screaming curses at u and saying ur fired.
Last edited by Radopilot on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud iPod Touch Owner, 1.5 Hours Real World Piloting Time
Radopilot
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

~

Postby Scorpiоn » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:34 pm

Perhaps Microsoft has not implememted any features like this for one simple reason: it wouldn't be a good experience.  If we were to have damage in FS, it should go hand in hand we declaring an emergency.  Until we get that, damage is a tack on at best.

If you have a situation that results in the significant destruction of the aircraft, all that is needed is the sim to suddenly go to a red screen that says something like "You're fired!"or something like that.

Will Donald trump be involved?  I might become the best pilot the world has ever known, just get me away from that man!

"Yuh Fiyahd"

Cripes! :o
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Postby TheBod1357 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:11 pm

Right,

"Captain, you have unceremoniously ignored all warning lights on your panel, resulting in a complete loss of all systems. This has led to your 747 unceremoniously crashing halfway over the Atlantic, luckily, there were no passengers on board, but you have single handedly destroyed an aircraft, not to mention you died in the crash, so, your actions have resulted in your forced resignation from World Travel Airlines."

So captain, *red screen* You're FIRED!
TheBod1357
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hai Perso Coyone? » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:25 pm

Me, I really don't mind seeing a plane get stuck into the ground like an arrow on a dartboard because I don't crash at all. I like practicing hard landings for the Great SimV Races, but that's only for honing in on my emergency landing skills. Other than that, I just fly normally and land normally on my lovely P-38 [don't want to scratch that baby].

Landing skills that make you land at the wrong airport you mean..... :P :P ;D
Hai Perso Coyone?
Ground hog
Ground hog

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam