Damage

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Damage

Postby Ridge_Runner_5 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:40 am

I think that acurate plane crupling and bits falling off can be achived as it works fine in IL-2 Sturmovik.  I also hate crashing at the end of a 2hr flight but sometimes I just fly the planes to break them and some nice spectacular crashes  would make my personal experiance alot better.

IL-2 planes dont crumple....the closes thing to that is the propeller tips bending, and that was implemented in CFS3...all the other damages in IL-2 are just textures and breaking components, just like CFS1, CFS2, CFS3...
Ridge_Runner_5
Captain
Captain

Postby kipman725 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:21 am

People like Nemisis should be shot for thier own protection, I know if he said something like that at my school, he would have been leaving the room on a stretcher

Thanks for reading this long post, but please keep in mind that the above is simply my own OPINION and like all other members of this forum, I am ENTITLED to my own opionion, weather you agree with me or not. No matter what MS decided to do, if I'm in the mood for some concentration, I'll still fire FS up, if I want to blow something to hell, I have other choices.

It's quite amusing to see you saying that you think that someone should be hospitalised or killed for there opinion and then go on about how your opinion is some bastion of free speech thats irifutable becuase it's "your opinion".

To the person about II-2 your right :) but it does look alot better than the fs2004 damage effects and parts like flaps/alerons/stabiliser can be blown off which isn't posible in fs.
5900xt/2800+/280GB/1GB PC3200/Cyborg Evo Force/ABIT NF7
Gpu clock: 475mhz core, 800mhz mem
CPU at: 12.5x175 = 2187.5
memory: 2.5, 3, 3, 8 Duel channel on
kipman725
Captain
Captain

Postby Cobra » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:01 am

Yeh i agree, anyway hes obviously a little kid and doesnt understand what he is saying, wouldnt go reading to much into it...
JAA/FAA PPL + Night Rating!

Quad Core 6600 2.4GHz ~ nVidia 8800GTX ~ 4GB DDR2 RAM 800MHz ~ Sound Blaster X-Fi 7.1 ~ Samsung Pebble 20" ~ Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound

[center][img]http://www.simvi
Cobra
Major
Major

Postby elite marksman » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:54 am

The reason I said that is because I live about 2 hours from New York. Many of my freinds lost either one or both of thier parents, or also have freinds who have lost parents in the attacks, my brother watched them from atop on of the buildings at Kean University while he was replacing some meterology equiment.

And I'm not saying my opionion is irrefutable either, just that it is my opinion, and that you dont have to agree with it, just accept it. Although when you say something like Nemesis did, especially to people directly affected by the event, you must be prepared to accept any consequences.

This thread in particular has seemed to go down the drain, with all the name-calling and heated debates over something that by now, we have absolutly no control over. M$ would probably not, and now they would almost definatly not be adding something that would require and major code changes.
elite marksman
Captain
Captain

Postby expat » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm

All the information that we have about FSX is a very short press release and a couple of screen shots, and what has it produced.........name calling, bickering and a lot of people not exactly showing the SimV spirit. FSX is still almost a year away........Still time to desend a little lower in this forum perhaps. :( :(

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Katahu » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:40 pm

Don't worry ex-pat, there are still a great many who still have the spirit.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby expat » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:36 pm

And if I was not about to hit night shift, I would too.......about an inch in the glass with a bit of ice ;)

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby C » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:02 pm

And if I was not about to hit night shift, I would too.......about an inch in the glass with a bit of ice ;)

Matt

Lol! Sounds an idea! ;D
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wealthysoup » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:22 am

Nobody was saying they were wanting fireballs and bodies strewn everywhere when they crash (that would cause most people to turn crash effects off, because i dont really want to see people lieing everywhere even if it is only a simulation) but its hardly "as real as it gets" if you land too hard and only your nosewheel breaks (what about the rear wheels and props etc)
And if you don't want new effects etc nobodys forcing you to buy it, but whats the point ms just re realising fs9 with nothing new but naming it fsx, would you buy it ??? Im sure people yhave been complaining about something or other being included or not on almost every fs release but you need at least simple damage effects (i hate crashing in fs but i hate it even more when the plane justs sits stuck in the ground and says crash on the screen in red leters, thats just not real to me) again im not asking for explosions etc but it could definately do with some damage effects e.g. blown tires, engine failures due to mistreatment, flaps blow out, maybe even a small part of the aircraft falling off because it was over stressed (nothing major but something that would make it harder to fly so that it discourages people not to crash)
And to the people that say milton shaupe and bill lyons and all the other developers out there would hate it if their planes were crashed in fs, how do you know, maybe they would be glad that someone was flying them even if they do accidentally damage it, accidents happen in real life and aircraft are damaged but perhaps people just want to ignore that and pretend accidents never happen.

Sorry if ive offended anyone but im only expressing my opinion here. ;)
(I don't know these designers so im not saying they DO think that, im saying they MIGHT)
Last edited by wealthysoup on Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My PC specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3200 (@ 2.2ghz)
Asus K8v se deluxe motherboard
1.5gb pc3200 RAM
128mb palit geforce 6600gt
200gb+80gb hard drives
21 inch CRT
5.1 creative surround sound speakers
wealthysoup
Captain
Captain

Postby logjam » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:35 am

I am sure that real time crash effects could be limited to Tire blow outs as a random failure.

Making a World of Difference
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Souichiro » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:45 pm

Bent props and stuff.... WOP B-17...

Failing engines and all kind off failures.. HNAC Airbus (a-300 I think)

I don't need crash effects and such.... Why? I Crashing is the last thing I want to do....Why be rewarded for it with spectacular crashing effects?
Souichiro
Ground hog
Ground hog

~

Postby Scorpiоn » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:01 pm

Can't we all just get along?

Different people have fun different ways.  FS has always encompassed many different styles.  Our very own Ozzy routinely uses aircraft in ways which would have him facing imprisonment.  Some people like speed, others like the instruments, some like the view, some like stunts.  There is no right or wrong, and I'm afraid we're becoming much too polarized here.  The smartest word I heard was compromise.  FS today has crash detection which can be toggled off, what would be the harm in similarly allowing people to see their aircraft after a belly landing?

Where do we draw the line?  Well, it's already here in FS.  There are sparks if the conditions are right.  Any correct landing would not involve sparks.  Lets just take a step back, and see if we can debate this sensibly.  This is obviously an issue people are emotional about, so if you feel worked up, close your browser, take a break, and come bake later with a clear headed response.  Please, Simviation deserves better.
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Postby cleobis » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:53 am

it's ridiculous that people treat this question as being of national importance or something like it!! Do crash happens in real world?yes! Do flaps, props, elevators, geras, etc bent and break in real world? yes! So MS should have them also! It's part of flyiong, if you land too hard your gears make break, if you lower your flaps while being too fast, they can break, etc!!

In the past years, computer companies are just becoming ridiculous in how much "clean" they want to be! Nowadays, you have car games where the cars never get any visuak damage because car companies don't allow it, simply because they don't want customers to see their products damaged!!!

This is simply stupid!! We're talking about games! g-a-m-e-s!!! Not real life, if people can't make the distinction, they should get medical help!!!

Thankfully some teams still do the right thing and give us the real deal.

Toca Racing Driver 3 is coming out, and do you know one of their biggest and more publicized acomplishments? The real time damage engine!! The cars will break as real life cars would! While it makes no difirence if you have a huge shunt and the car wont work anymore, it does make a big diference if you have a small clash with another oponent and it bents your suspensions, or the axle or whatever!!

Now, if we followed the same logic people are trying to use not to have a/c damage in fsx, we could say that having damage in the cars, would be an insult to the families of every driver that has died in motorracing in the last 100 years!

Also, the is a great sim coming up called thunder something (don't remember the full name) wich is based in the malvines conflict in the early 80s! Now, english people might see no prblm in this, but argentinean people could say that this is an insult to them!

And what about incocent people from sumalia in the delta force blackhawk dwn? and the inocent that died in ally bombing over germany? people that probably didn't even liked hitler and were against him, but they died in the bombings!!!! They could argue that games like il2. cfs series, etc could insult the memories of thei relatives!!

All this oculd be done, but would it be sane and right? I don't think so, games are games, and people should look at them like they are!

We have to stop this world paranoya of just portraying the right thing! Bad things happen in the world and we should not try to hide them or to make them not look as bad! It's like we're getting back to the 50s where in the US every family was portrayed as a perfect family and only good things happened! do we need another 60s revolution so that people again face the world as it is?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm very worried about how the world is behaving in this hard times!

sorry again if I offended anyone it wasn't truly my intention. just expressing what goes in my soul!

cheers

and happy days for everyone
*** For
cleobis
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby kipman725 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:52 am

great post but don't be sorry if you offend anyone as it dosen't matter because anyone who is offended is someone unable to argue rationaly with you and so has an emotional recation.
5900xt/2800+/280GB/1GB PC3200/Cyborg Evo Force/ABIT NF7
Gpu clock: 475mhz core, 800mhz mem
CPU at: 12.5x175 = 2187.5
memory: 2.5, 3, 3, 8 Duel channel on
kipman725
Captain
Captain

~

Postby Scorpiоn » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:26 pm

While you make an excellent point Cleobis, I believe what the anti-damage advocates are most worried about is the bull running loose.  Today it bent props, tomorrow it's a wing, then the fuselage breaks in two, 10 years down the huge it's a blood explosion extrodinaire. :-X

I don't think they're too unreasonable in thinking this should happen, and even though I align myself with those wanting damage, imagine if the situation spiraled out of control like that.  While this option would likely be toggleable, the screenshots wouldn't.  The screenshots board would likely be overrun with all manner of death and destruction.  FS also appeals, forgive me if I sound prude, to a gamer of a higher intellect.  No doubt this board, even if it has come down a bit over the years, would be completely taken over by nerds.  You know the type.  Lyke, OMGF tihs expoolsion is so kool!  Casome1 make me a blood addon?  Kthnks.  We definitely don't want this.  In all truthful honesty, I don't doubt something like this would happen, and indeed I wouldn't be all to surprised if it did.

However, like I said before, we need compromise.  I would like undercarriage failures, bent props and some nice touches like that.  Engine cownling scrapes for steep takeoffs would be great as well.  Even if it was only a sound effect.  But I also would be more than slightly dissappointed if FS were reduced to something like Battlefield 2, even if a game like than doesn't involve any blood whatsoever.  What we'd have to do, is come together and demonstrate to Microsoft just how much is okay, and how much is untolerable.

Compromise people.  Galvanized, polorized extremism never solved anything.  Both sides have valid points.  Can't we put these worst case scenarios to rest?
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam