Worrying about computer specs?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Worrying about computer specs?

Postby congo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:52 pm

What GFX cards are there that are much better for a laptop?

Laptop graphics are quite different in the way they are implemented on mobile PC's.

For a start, very few Laptops have a dedicated graphics card within, most are "onboard solutions", (which is almost a misnomer).

The laptops that do have a dedicated card often have that card tied into the bios for that PC, making any upgrade difficult if not impossible.

The mobile PC industry seems clandestine and inflexible, information is not as readily available on their workings, in fact, it is often hidden. The mobile PC world is protecting this rare kind of monopoly, where they can extract high profits through these practices.

Who wouldn't want a laptop with fantastic specs at a reasonable cost? Unfortunately, the culture of the mobile pc industry is doing it's utmost to prevent such a situation, and anyone who wants great graphics on a laptop is subjected to the usery imposed on the public at large.

The public is partly to blame. Laptops are endeared as a fahion accessory, any extras are viewed by people as status symbols or whatever, (I'm immune and ignorant of fashion speak sorry). This is one of the major factors in keeping prices high. (Yuppies have a lot to answer for)

But I digress. When you buy a mobile PC, you are pretty much stuck with whatever graphics come with the laptop.

I'm not up on the latest models of laptops with good graphics, suffice to say they do exist at a price.

You want great graphics on a laptop? You better fill your wallet.
Last edited by congo on Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageMainboard: Asus P5K-Premium, CPU=Intel E6850 @ x8x450fsb 3.6ghz, RAM: 4gb PC8500 Team Dark, Video: NV8800GT, HDD: 2x1Tb Samsung F3 RAID-0 + 1Tb F3, PSU: Antec 550 Basiq, OS: Win7x64, Display: 24&
congo
Major
Major

Postby ctjoyce » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:55 pm

What GFX cards are there that are much better for a laptop?

Well there are the GO 7800s and Mobility Radeon X850s do exist, but noone uses them. Seriously if you wan't to get the full FS expirence your gonna need a desk top, cus you cant swap Lap top cards ;)

The requirements will be not as bad as a lot of people are saying.  This is the first time a 3D card has been required, so i would not expect specs to be any more than double XP. ;)

Um yes, but look around at sigs ;) theres going to be alot of upgradeing to be done. Atleast everyones gfx card as noone has DX10. I hate to say this, but most of us are going to need to drop atleast $800 ~ 1000 to be able to go vista, let alone FSX

Cheers
Cameron
CTJoyce, Modding and voiding warranties since 2003
Sheila's Specs:ASUS Striker Extreme 680i, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz, Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400C4 2GB, 2x eVGA 7900GT KO,  Western Digital 80GB SATA & 250GB SATAIII
[b]Vesp
ctjoyce
Major
Major

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:44 pm

I hate to say this, but most of us are going to need to drop atleast $800 ~ 1000 to be able to go vista, let alone FSX

Cheers
Cameron

Maybe FSX but I will bet money on anyone with a 64bit system being able to run Vista if they so wished.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby richardd43 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:04 am

I did not mean to imply that the list I posted was the only hardware that will work with Vista. The graphics card list covers a wide range of boards which I am sure most of us own anyway.

Here is the link to where the info came from:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/window ... dware.mspx
Last edited by richardd43 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
Intel I7 3770K w/ Corsair H100
Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Silverstone 1000W PSU
richardd43
Captain
Captain

Postby congo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:26 am

Yea, I know, just making sure people didn't panic about it.
ImageMainboard: Asus P5K-Premium, CPU=Intel E6850 @ x8x450fsb 3.6ghz, RAM: 4gb PC8500 Team Dark, Video: NV8800GT, HDD: 2x1Tb Samsung F3 RAID-0 + 1Tb F3, PSU: Antec 550 Basiq, OS: Win7x64, Display: 24&
congo
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam