Re: FSX flight dynamics

Postby gregoryp » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:18 am

The term
gregoryp
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Katahu » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:34 pm

Again, someone has been doing homework. ;)
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby AU_cary » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:29 pm

anyone play falcon 4? i think the dynamics of that game are pretty good.
AU_cary
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Chris_F » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:38 pm

anyone play falcon 4? i think the dynamics of that game are pretty good.

Falcon 3.0 had some really nice dynamics.  I can't imagine 4.0 was anything but better.
Chris_F
Major
Major

Postby congo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:16 am

Thankyou for the wonderful insight into sim dynamics development gregoryp. It's good to hear comments from someone actually involved in the process.

As I spend much of my time actually flying the sims, the methodology of dynamics developement doesn't concern me much.

What does concern me, as a pilot and sim pilot, is the difference between the two.

Whether the dynamics are technically accurate or not doesn't concern me in the least. I hear people moaning about the numbers constantly.

What does concern me is the overall effect and the "feel" of the sim.

I recently discovered in a moment of clarity what it is that makes me love a simulation. It's immersion or the feeling of actually being there, you can temporarily lose yourself into that surrealistic world we all like so much.

I know that FS is not the same for everyone, but for me, the flight dynamics have very much to do with that immersive depth that keeps me hooked on sims.

Whether accurate to 1% or not, if it doesnt feel like an aircraft or emulate what actually happens in real life, it doesn't work for me.

I fly aircraft in unusual attitudes and live to tell the tale, (very unlike my combat sim experience), I know the difference.

I know that IL2FB dynamics are full of holes, not interested in Oleg's misdemeanors, not here to quibble about the numbers. What matters to me in IL2FB is that the most exhilerating flying experience is possible with immersion that will make you jump up in your chair.

These simulations have given us endless pleasure for nearly two decades. We have watched them develop into what they are today.

There is much work to be done though. Let's hope they get it "As Close As They Can".

Cheers All
Last edited by congo on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageMainboard: Asus P5K-Premium, CPU=Intel E6850 @ x8x450fsb 3.6ghz, RAM: 4gb PC8500 Team Dark, Video: NV8800GT, HDD: 2x1Tb Samsung F3 RAID-0 + 1Tb F3, PSU: Antec 550 Basiq, OS: Win7x64, Display: 24&
congo
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam