rural scenery : the necesary improvement

FSX including FSX Steam version.

rural scenery : the necesary improvement

Postby osvep » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:29 am

I find rural scenery in fs9 absolutly poor.No rural wired
fences no rural track roads no rural objects  as wind mills.
It is incredible considering the history and geography of USA.For me also is deceptive as I live in a mainly agicultural country as Argentina.I hope the urban people of MS give us more than merely a few cows and  horses(A `gaucho
osvep
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: rural scenery : the necesary improvement

Postby Katahu » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:42 am

Well, if fences were rendered for every airport [all 25,000+] and for areas like farm land [and there is a lot of Farms in the US] then the processors will have a tough time rendering the polygons. Fences may be two-sided, but such fences can add up.

Speaking of polys. Why do you think M$ focused much of the details on major airports while giving little for minor airports? Because it will murder the processors if EVERY airport is detailed like Miami Int'l, or San Francisco Int'l.

If you remember the Free Flow Ultimate Florida scenery addon, then you clearly know that it's graphic intensive because of the level of detail in such small areas like Downtown Miami can hold down the processor [damn addon causes my computer's fans to rev up like a Porsche GTR].

Don't worry anyways. Once FSX comes out, I'm pretty sure you'll find freeware or payware scenery addons that can help your wish come true.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Bazza » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:13 am

There's a fine line to be drawn here............

Do you want to appreciate the aircraft you have selected to fly, or do you want to gaze at the scenery.............?

Perhaps MS should bring out a program that will dispense with the planes and you can travel the world getting into raptures about the quality of the fence posts.

Personally I think the level obtainable at the moment with mesh scenery et al is about right - remember it's a Flight Simulator, not a nature lesson.

Just my humble thoughts...
Last edited by Bazza on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the throttle...?
Bazza
Captain
Captain

Postby TacitBlue » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:23 am

Fences would be cool, but I would be happy if the rural areas just looked rural. Big open corn and bean fields with rows of trees every so often, that would be nice. From what I've seen of the screenshots so far, it looks pretty good.
A&P Mechanic, Rankin Aircraft 78Y

Aircraft are naturally beautiful because form follows function. -TB
TacitBlue
Major
Major

Postby JBaymore » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:27 am

One thing that SHOULD be addressable in SOME manner is to make the various countries look a bit more like themselves....... rural OR urban.

Asia is not "America East" and South America is not "America South" and Europe is not "America West".
Last edited by JBaymore on Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:35 am

You got fences and Telephone wires in CFS3. Why not FSX? Surely in four years computers have improved enough to have them across the world instead of just Europe.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:57 am

One thing that SHOULD be addressable in SOME manner is to make the various countries look a bit more like themselves....... rural OR urban.

Asia is not "America East" and South America is not "America South" and Europe is not "America West".  

Maybe the programmers locked in their cubicles at Microsoft need to get out more.   ;D

That is the problem with computer geeks, they tend not to.......oops better be careful, own foot and shot comes to mind ;D

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Moach » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:08 am

i have to say that looking at the few screenshots of FSX we have so far, i'm pretty pleased with the enhancement in non-hi-res scenery, specially the not-so-urbanized areas :)

this is great... as i (and probably lots more people) do most of my flying in the graphically unfavoured areas ::)
If nature wanted a man to fly - It would have given him more money
Moach
Captain
Captain

Postby cleobis » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:26 am

I agree that rural areas should look more like rural areas!! But, I agree even more that the rest of the world is not USA!!!
Microsoft, should get diferent texures at least for every continent...I mean, deserts in africa are not the same as deserts in USA!

Also, after seing the suburban screens of FSX, they do look great, but they look 100% America!! European suburbvan areas are nothing like USA suburbia!!

I hope they change that, and cities in europe are not drawn with a ruller!

Since most of them are older than the USA itself, their roads are much more irregular, and not like perfect 90
*** For
cleobis
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: rural scenery : the necessary improvement

Postby Fozzer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:13 pm

[quote]

Also, after seeing the suburban screens of FSX, they do look great, but they look 100% America!! European suburban areas are nothing like USA suburbia!!

I hope they change that, and cities in Europe are not drawn with a ruler!

Since most of them are older than the USA itself, their roads are much more irregular, and not like perfect 90
Last edited by Fozzer on Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:26 pm

An interesting observation...

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that most, if not all, the buildings in FS 2000/2002/2004 seem to be modeled in the American style, ie: flat roofs, whereas in Great Britain, at least, and probably most of Europe, all of the domestic houses and and commercial buildings have sloping roofs...!
...they drain off the water....and snow...!!
LOL...!

Paul in a house with a sloping roof...;)... 8)...!

I hope that when Bill Gates over flew Europe during the modelling stage for FSX scenery, he noticed my house has a flat roof.......I would hate to me misrepresented with a pointy one.
;D

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Chris_F » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:05 pm

An interesting observation...

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that most, if not all, the buildings in FS 2000/2002/2004 seem to be modeled in the American style, ie: flat roofs, whereas in Great Britain, at least, and probably most of Europe, all of the domestic houses and commercial buildings have sloping roofs...!
...they drain off the water....and snow...!!
LOL...!

Paul in a house with a sloping roof...;)... 8)...!

I'd like to correct your statement:  "modeled in the American style, ie: flat roofs."  to read "in the California style, ie: flat roofs."  There are PLENTY of American homes in rain and snow prone areas with pointy roofs.  Unfortunately in the US everyone thinks California is the center of the universe.  Therefore if Californians have flat roofs then certainly everyone in the world has flat roofs.

Besides, it makes for fewer polygons.  Probably an important consideration considering the typical computer hardware in use when FS2004 came out.
Chris_F
Major
Major

Postby Radopilot » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:44 pm

look at the screenshots on fs2004.com. it shows that microsoft has already taken care of the problem.  ;)
Proud iPod Touch Owner, 1.5 Hours Real World Piloting Time
Radopilot
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Katahu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:45 pm

I don't know why, but I always look at the roads more often then the rest. I gotta start taking medications. ;D

*Katahu takes a few antipsycotics* ::)

I guess it's because the roads are more level [not banked to the side like FS9's roads] and have a gradual climb and descent [unlike FS9's sharply climbing and diving roads] around hills and mountains.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Radopilot » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:52 pm

I don't know why, but I always look at the roads more often then the rest. I gotta start taking medications. ;D

*Katahu takes a few antipsycotics* ::)

I guess it's because the roads are more level [not banked to the side like FS9's roads] and have a gradual climb and descent [unlike FS9's sharply climbing and diving roads] around hills and mountains.

lol, yea, that is a nice improvement, especially for those that like to drive around in fs. that way their vehicles wont suddenly drop off a 50ft cliff that doesnt appear in real life.  ;)
Proud iPod Touch Owner, 1.5 Hours Real World Piloting Time
Radopilot
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam