rural scenery : the necesary improvement

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: rural scenery : the necesary improvement

Postby Katahu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:57 pm

Speaking of roads, I hope to god they are making the bridges drivable. If so, that can be a big thing for many people. Think of the kinds of screenshots that can appear in future contests. Also, think about what this means for those who are really tired of having to slew over a river because the bridges in FS9 are not drivable.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby GunnerMan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:07 pm

Well speaking about fences etc killing cpus and gpus that is not true. The engine only loads a very small fraction of the world at takeoff. Maybe fully loads about 50 -100 square miles in say KLAX. This is a very detailed area with big airport. In a rural area all you have is small city and airport, even with a lot of detail it would still not excede the use of a major airport. If I start at KLAX im sitting still, the computer has not even begun to think about 200 miles away yet its "space."
GunnerMan
Major
Major

Re: rural scenery : the necessary improvement

Postby afi0yz » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:19 pm

I'd like to correct your statement:  "modeled in the American style, ie: flat roofs."  to read "in the California style, ie: flat roofs."  There are PLENTY of American homes in rain and snow prone areas with pointy roofs.  Unfortunately in the US everyone thinks California is the center of the universe.  Therefore if Californians have flat roofs then certainly everyone in the world has flat roofs.

are you on crack?

I dont have a flat roof,nor does anyone i know
its probibly just easy to make a box house for fs
Last edited by afi0yz on Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afi0yz
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: rural scenery : the necessary improvement

Postby Katahu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:31 pm

Besides, it makes for fewer polygons.  Probably an important consideration considering the typical computer hardware in use when FS2004 came out.

That's another thing that M$ always has to consider when making such a sim. No two computers are alike. Even if two identical computers were bought stock and fresh from [for example] Dell, one might not be well maintained or updated regulaly by the user as oppose to the other one by another user who does maintain it. Not to mention the fact that one user probably has other junk programs installed while the other user is HD space-friendly.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby legoalex2000 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:37 pm

You got fences and Telephone wires in CFS3. Why not FSX? Surely in four years computers have improved enough to have them across the world instead of just Europe.

you know, Msft was nice enough to ahve telephone poles near the roads.. the wires are no bigger than a foot in diameter, who's gonna see that at 25,000ft...

mabye near airports...

and fences?that requires having to find the dimensions of all 25,000 airports and note where the fences are.

they are doing a pretty good job with what they got. this is knick knacky stuff that uneedly bogs down your system.

:)ramos
legoalex2000

Postby osvep » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:34 am

I feel glad seen responses to  the post  and above all I hope MS consider the point at least a little.But let me
state that my critics are perhaps putting me where I am not.Certainly katahu and bazza has stressed displaying
problems and user preferences which ARE RELEVANT.But if  we wish a certain democracy to give satisfaction to very different flysimmers so I suggest  consider same serious imbalances in the general approach in wich cities are much more important than rural areas and aircraft are privileged over geography.
Of course profesional  pilots have different taste than bush pilots and following bazza perhaps in the future
ther will be 2 types of FS (an idea which I support)But in the next future I just say listen to us the humble fans of
these kind of visual experience  or virtual tourism that MSF gives for those poor people who can not because of many regreatable reasons take a real plane and fly
over those green seas of rural plains... ::)pd If cleobis came to Argentina I suggest to make a little  travel to San Antonio de Areco or Pergamino where maizes grows at full power and track roads looks very different than the standard fs .And again pehaps the wonderfull
community of developers may consider these observations. :)
osvep
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby TacitBlue » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:07 am

...who's gonna see that at 25,000ft...

Not everyone flys at 25,000 ft. Yes, it's true, there are people who don't like airliners. ;)

Also, I've seen pointy roofs in FS9. They're around, you just have to look for them. Flat roofs aren't the American style at all.
Last edited by TacitBlue on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
A&P Mechanic, Rankin Aircraft 78Y

Aircraft are naturally beautiful because form follows function. -TB
TacitBlue
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:16 pm

Not everyone flys at 25,000 ft. Yes, it's true, there are people who don't like airliners. ;)

Also, I've seen pointy roofs in FS9. They're around, you just have to look for them. Flat roofs aren't the American style at all.

Well, I remember flying in real life many years ago on a Cessna @ no higher than 1,200ft. And let me tell you, it was hard enough for me to find the powerlines. Hell, a powerline is barely 5 inches in diameter and finding them is like looking for a piece of string in a haystack.

If you're talking about those HUGE metal-framed towers that can hold bigger powerlines, I get your point. We should be able to see some. But if you're talking about those smaller wooden poles with the smaller powerlines on them, then you're system's performance will be hammered because there are lots of them.

And don't forget, M$ is modeling the whole world.

You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if [years from now] we all enjoy FSX and all of a sudden people want to see their own homes put in, or want to see mailboxes for every home. ::) We've been through this arguement before last year, the year before that, and then the year before that year, etc.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BFMF » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:39 pm

Of course profesional pilots have different taste than bush pilots

Hey, I don't think you give Bush Pilot's enough credit. Bush flying may be different, but it doesn't mean it doesn't take a professional, and a lot of skill, even if they are different skills than a bus driver ;)
Last edited by BFMF on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:10 pm

And don't forget, M$ is modeling the whole world.

Yes M$ models the whole world. But it only generates detail in the area you're flying. It would not be difficult to have autogen powercables or fences in rural areas.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Delta_ » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:38 pm

Speaking of roads, I hope to god they are making the bridges drivable. If so, that can be a big thing for many people. Think of the kinds of screenshots that can appear in future contests. Also, think about what this means for those who are really tired of having to slew over a river because the bridges in FS9 are not drivable.

Or landable ::) ::) ;D
Delta_
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:00 pm

Or landable ::) ::) ;D

Hmm... that sounds like an idea for Ozzy. ;D
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel