Thermals

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Thermals

Postby expat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:30 pm

The worst thing is to have your CFI tell you off..
;D

I would have been driving the winch for a long time, not to mention the new one he would have drilled in me. I was a newb back then, I am older wiser and very respectful of those big white soft fuzzy things. Fozzer is quite correct, minimum distance....20 miles ;)

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:04 pm

As well as the dangers of clouds, another useful thing to remember is the danger of "wake turbulence" from other aircraft...
Take off: From the same spot as preceding aeroplane allow 2 minutes.
From any intermediate part of the runway between the preceding aeroplane's start point on that runway and its lift off allow 3 minutes.

Landing approach:
Heavy aircraft:
Weight:  >160,000 kg.
Time:4 minutes.
Separation: 8 nautical miles.
-----------------------------------
Medium aircraft:
Weight: >40,000 kg.
Time: 3 minutes.
Separation: 6 nautical miles.
-----------------------------------
Small Aircraft:
Weight: >17,000 kg.
Time: 2 minutes.
Separation: 4 nautical miles.

It's amazing how often we forget/ignore these life-saving rules when we fly in Multiplayer...;)...!

One important tip for light aircraft pilots to remember...
keep well away from HELICOPTERS at all times...!!!
LOL... ;D...!

Paul...8)...!

Note:
The above details are obtained courtesy of the publication quoted earlier... ;)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:10 pm

keep well away from HELICOPTERS at all times...!!!

If they stayed on the ground, would not be a problem. Helicopters only fly because they don't know that they should not. They should just naturally screw themselves into the ground, though I did once here that they are so dam ugly, the earth repels them.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Alphajet_Enthusiast » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:11 pm

As well as the dangers of clouds, another useful thing to remember is the danger of "wake turbulence" from other aircraft...

Wow Fozzer, you hit another nail on the head!
:o
Lets see some wake turbulence in FSX!
Macbook Pro | Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT | 2GB Ram | 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard
Alphajet_Enthusiast
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:15 pm

If they stayed on the ground, would not be a problem. Helicopters only fly because they don't know that they should not. They should just naturally screw themselves into the ground, though I did once here that they are so dam ugly, the earth repels them.

Matt

Love it... ;D... ;D... ;D...!

Paul...prefers a propellor up at the "pointy end"... ;)... ;D...!

P.S. Don't forget, you Thermal Underwear types. Pop over here for some gliding...>>>

http://www.hangsim.com/mf/

...trust me... ;)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam