Thermals

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Thermals

Postby DASSU » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:03 pm

As i read the article posted here in the forum about the new FSX and saw that the DG808s will be available i wonder if there will be more and more realistic thermals in FSX.
DASSU
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Thermals

Postby Jakemaster » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:07 pm

Its possible.  Hopefully, they will have a tow or VET like you can get now.

What I always thought would be a good Idea is if in the sailplane, you flew the tow, and when you change views you change into the sailplane cockpit.  ONce you reach altitude, you switch to the sailplane and pull the release, and the tow either turns into ai and goes back or just dives away and dissapears.
Jakemaster

Postby DASSU » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:22 pm

yep, i also thought about smth. like that...as being a
Last edited by DASSU on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DASSU
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Nexus » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:20 pm

[quote]yep, i also thought about smth. like that...as being a
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:26 pm

Schh!
Don't mention the lack of realistic flight dynamics. Some people will label you as a whiner and ask you to keep your mouth shut.  ::)
But yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you

::) ::) ::)
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Alphajet_Enthusiast » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:44 am

Im also a glider pilot and considering that I find the tow (and climbing in a thermal) some of the most enjoyable and challenging parts of glider flight, I really hope that they can now be done.
Also, im hoping that in the new flight simulator there will actually be dangerous turbulence inside large clouds. In FS2004 you can take a cessna into the hugest and most "turbulent" cloud and come out completely unscathed. I hope they improve that as weather is a very crucial element to gliding..  :)
Macbook Pro | Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT | 2GB Ram | 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard
Alphajet_Enthusiast
Major
Major

Postby commoner » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:40 am

.............. In FS2004 you can take a cessna into the hugest and most "turbulent" cloud and come out completely unscathed. I hope they improve that as weather is a very crucial element to gliding..  :)

..lol...Wow..you like fancy the wings to fall of and parachute down or even actually dying in the sim then...........commoner :o  ;D
Image"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
commoner
Major
Major

Postby expat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:56 am

Im also a glider pilot and considering that I find the tow (and climbing in a thermal) some of the most enjoyable and challenging parts of glider flight, I really hope that they can now be done.

I think this is a good example of the diversity that we have in the FS world. I am also a glider pilot and the one thing in the FS series that does nothing for me, is the gliding simulation. I have tried and tried, but can't get into it. Gliding is flown through your backside, there is nothing like the kick of a thermal through the rear  or feeling the wing lift  and then turning in.  I have tried other gliding sims too. There are some good ones out there, but gliding is so much more tactile than other flying....welll for me anyway.  Still if FSX has a good aerootow or winch launch, then maybe I will be a convert.  ;)

Matt
Last edited by expat on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:16 am

Also, I'm hoping that in the new flight simulator there will actually be dangerous turbulence inside large clouds. In FS2004 you can take a Cessna into the hugest and most "turbulent" cloud and come out completely unscathed. I hope they improve that as weather is a very crucial element to gliding..  :)

Excellent suggestion...!
....also for powered aircraft, as well...
I am always amazed at the screen shots of Sim Pilots flying through, or near, highly dangerous Cumulonimbus cloud formations...:o...!
Any form of cloud should always be treated with GREAT respect, and general aviation pilots of powered aircraft should really spend time on the ground until the cloud dissipates...
...so...
I would like to be able to experience the effects of various cloud formations, and be aware of their dangers... :o...!
It is often dangerous to approach within 5 miles of a building cloud formation!!
The interior of a towering Cumulus cloud can tear your aircraft apart...!!
Most clouds should be generally avoided...!

I would strongly advise any Sim Pilot to study Meteorology*...a truly fascinating subject...and as a motorcyclist I have a vested interest in it...;)... 8)...!

Cheers all...!

Paul...Cessna 152...!

* one of the most important parts of training for a Pilots licence... ;)...!

P.S. For anyone wanting to experience realistic flight dynamics in gliders and powered aircraft, give this excellent little program a try, (I have purchased it!)...>>>

http://www.hangsim.com/mf/
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BFMF » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:01 am

It is often dangerous to approach within 5 miles of a building cloud formation!!

My instructor told us to stay atleast 20 miles from a thunderstorm
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Alphajet_Enthusiast » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:06 pm

Excellent suggestion...!
....also for powered aircraft, as well...
I am always amazed at the screen shots of Sim Pilots flying through, or near, highly dangerous Cumulonimbus cloud formations...:o...!
Any form of cloud should always be treated with GREAT respect, and general aviation pilots of powered aircraft should really spend time on the ground until the cloud dissipates...
...so...
I would like to be able to experience the effects of various cloud formations, and be aware of their dangers... :o...!
The interior of a towering Cumulus cloud can tear your aircraft apart...!!
Most clouds should be generally avoided...!

I would strongly advise any Sim Pilot to study Meteorology*...a truly fascinating subject...and as a motorcyclist I have a vested interest in it...;)... 8)...!

Cheers all...!

Paul...Cessna 152...!

* one of the most important parts of training for a Pilots licence... ;)...!

P.S. For anyone wanting to experience realistic flight dynamics in gliders and powered aircraft, give this excellent little program a try, (I have purchased it!)...>>>

http://www.hangsim.com/mf/

Exactly Paul. :) I remember on one of my first twenty glider flights I was with my instructor and we were literally "kissing" the bottom of a nasty grey cumulus formation, and he urged me to descent straight away.  :) The thermals underneath it were so good though... there werent any more flights for the rest of the day because the weather just got worse... ;D
Last edited by Alphajet_Enthusiast on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macbook Pro | Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT | 2GB Ram | 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard
Alphajet_Enthusiast
Major
Major

Postby expat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:33 pm

Exactly Paul. :) I remember on one of my first twenty glider flights I was with my instructor and we were literally "kissing" the bottom of a nasty grey cumulus formation, and he urged me to descent straight away.  :) The thermals underneath it were so good though... there werent any more flights for the rest of the day because the weather just got worse... ;D

Did exactly the same thing, but actually got up into the bowl of the underside of the cloud. The lift was very, very strong.  By the time I cleared out, I ended up passing throught he edge of said cloud. I was in a K8 at the time. Learnt several things that day.
1 How much the wings of a K8 can flex.
2 How scared shitless I could make myself
3 Just how long it takes to get down from 8000 feet when you really want to be on terra firma for a private cry.
4 How strong your ring muscle is when squeezing to keep all in its rightful place.

Fortunatly, my CFI was not flying that day, or the above would have been the least of my problem. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that we have to stay 300 feet below he base of a cloud. Now I just run away bravely.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:36 pm

My instructor told us to stay atleast 20 miles from a thunderstorm

A very wise instructor, Andrew... ;)...!
I like his 20 mile rule...:)...!

Quote:
Always be prepared to abandon your plans to fly. It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing to heaven you were on the ground.

Cheers all...!

Paul..on the ground, looking skywards... ;)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Alphajet_Enthusiast » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:38 pm

Hey Matt,

I had the same, I got pushed into the bottom of it and because of the cloud I could hardly see anything.  
I was in a ASK-21, but it was still pretty scary. :)
But I had my instructor with me, you were solo back then. In a way its comforting but...
The worst thing is to have your CFI tell you off..
;D
Last edited by Alphajet_Enthusiast on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alphajet_Enthusiast
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:11 pm

A very useful bit of info for Weather Enthusiasts...>>>

Courtesy of: The Microlight Pilot's Handbook. 2nd. Edition.
Brian Cosgrove.
ISBN 1 85310 096 X

Paul... 8)...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam