MICRSOFT OFFICIAL WEBSITE!

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: MICRSOFT OFFICIAL WEBSITE!

Postby Nexus » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:54 pm

I know it's still early. But all the "breaking news" so far has been pure eye candy. While that is good and all, but this is a FLIGHT simulator, and to be honest with you sim pilots...you'd be amazed how poorly FS9 depicts flying characteristics, especially in turbulence, ground handling and rudder usage.

I want improvements in that departement.
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:16 am

I know it's still early. But all the "breaking news" so far has been pure eye candy. While that is good and all, but this is a FLIGHT simulator, and to be honest with you sim pilots...you'd be amazed how poorly FS9 depicts flying characteristics, especially in turbulence, ground handling and rudder usage.

I want improvements in that departement.

To me, that doesn't matter because I almost never use the defaults anyways. Today's addons have better dynamics than their default counterparts, so I use those a lot.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Nexus » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:35 am

To me, that doesn't matter because I almost never use the defaults anyways. Today's addons have better dynamics than their default counterparts, so I use those a lot.

The problem itself lies in the physics engine of the sim.
It cannot think "logical", but the flight char's are programmed with text lines in in the cfg.  Whereas X-plane can depict actual turbulence and realistic ground handling etc.
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:47 am

MS will eventually get there with the flight simulator ;)
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Katahu » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:48 am

The problem itself lies in the physics engine of the sim.
It cannot think "logical", but the flight char's are programmed with text lines in in the cfg.  Whereas X-plane can depict actual turbulence and realistic ground handling etc.

Don't forget that X-Plane's physics are patented by Laminar Research. Therefore, M$ can't copy the engine. Besides, changing the engine will still require all of us addon developers to learn all about any new engine just to even achieve a half-decent addon. And the last time I checked, learning about any new engine takes a lot of time. Why do you think CFS3 has so little addons compared to CFS2?
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Nexus » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:58 am

Don't forget that X-Plane's physics are patented by Laminar Research. Therefore, M$ can't copy the engine. Besides, changing the engine will still require all of us addon developers to learn all about any new engine just to even achieve a half-decent addon. And the last time I checked, learning about any new engine takes a lot of time. Why do you think CFS3 has so little addons compared to CFS2?

Just look at Halflife and Halflife 2.
Those are two different engines, but add-on developers quickly learned the new engine and managed to produce even better mods to the game.

Same scenario will apply to FS
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:15 am

Well, I have only used HL2 [first time I used a half life product] so I can't tell the difference.

We can argue all we want, but the decision ultimately rests with the entire FS community. And don't forget that majorities rule in any vote. If 40,000 members [out of 50,000] in a community support the old engine, then the remaining 10,000 are out of luck and they will have to get use to it because M$ will always follow the ideas of the majority due to popularity.

Just because a few member [out of 50,000] don't like the old-style engine doesn't mean that the rest of the members of the community have to comply.

Therefore, as of right now, this arguement about changing the game engine is over. If you like X-Plane better, then go use it and stop whining about FS.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jakemaster » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:01 am

From what Ive seen, it looks like they are working on flight models.  At CES, the speaker took the bell 206.  He took off, turned (like a helicopter SHOULD), then flew off just like a real heli.  All this on an Xbox controller.

And yes, it was a live display.

Remember, we still have 1 year, so I imagine that there will be ALOT  of improvements by the time it arrives
Jakemaster

Postby Nexus » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:30 am

Well, I have only used HL2 [first time I used a half life product] so I can't tell the difference.

We can argue all we want, but the decision ultimately rests with the entire FS community. And don't forget that majorities rule in any vote. If 40,000 members [out of 50,000] in a community support the old engine, then the remaining 10,000 are out of luck and they will have to get use to it because M$ will always follow the ideas of the majority due to popularity.

Just because a few member [out of 50,000] don't like the old-style engine doesn't mean that the rest of the members of the community have to comply.

Therefore, as of right now, this arguement about changing the game engine is over. If you like X-Plane better, then go use it and stop whining about FS.

Believe me almost ALL add on developers, especially payware aircrafts wants a MORE advanced engine. Because the teams of PMDG, LDS etc cannot push the limitations of the engines further, because they are already there.

So you may want to get out of this argument which is fine, but you are certainly not correct about your statement. The comminuty is craving for a new engine, and many will be very disappointed if it's justa  revamped FS2002 engine - yet again.
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby simonmd » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:10 am

One day what you say will come i'm sure. FS-12,13 maybe?
Last edited by simonmd on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
This months's screenshot contest entry> http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1197692798
simonmd
Major
Major

Postby Mees » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:23 am

it can be my eyes, but is that water 3d? :o
AMD Athlon 4200+ :: Gigabyte K8n-SLi :: 1GB RAM :: 7900GTX 512MB
Mees
Major
Major

Postby Nexus » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:25 am

It just boggles my mind.
FS biggest flaw is not the eye candy, it's the flight dynamics. And from what it seems, the major upgrade in this version seems to be just that, EYE CANDY. At least that's what MS devs have been raving about so far  :-/
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:32 pm

Uhh... how many times do some of us have to say that M$ will never tell us everything we want to hear until the very last moment [most likely after the release]? To borrow from somebody's statement: People who truely know cannot tell [obviously they signed a non-disclosure agreement] while those who say what they think they know may not be true at all.

So, just because M$ didn't say anything about the dynamics doesn't mean that the dynamics will be crap.

And for crying out loud, if you think that FSX will be crap, then don't buy it and stop whining. Do you have any idea how much effort the M$ developers have put into creating this sim? I don't know either, but I can bet my butt that the effort was massive.

Just wait. several years from now, we will be going through this same dumb arguement for FSXI, FSXII, etc. It seems to me that this is a never-ending cycle. And yet, people still buy it after complaining. Sheesh!
Last edited by Katahu on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BFMF » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:39 pm

Just wait. several years from now, we will be going through this same dumb arguement for FSXI, FSXII, etc. It seems to me that this is a never-ending cycle. And yet, people still buy it after complaining. Sheesh!

It happens every time a new flight simulator is announced. It's a de ja vou all over again ::)
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam