fsx and fps: poor model or texture optimization

FSX including FSX Steam version.

fsx and fps: poor model or texture optimization

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:02 am

hello!!! I was doing experiments... they left more answers than questions:

the recently released FREEWARE IRIS GROB G115E... is a very detailed model... of HIGH RESOLUTION textures... which on my PC produces great slowdowns in FPS (in addition to taking up a lot of RAM memory)

this is the environment:
GROB G115E in a maritime airport (on a flat island), no weather, no clouds, no traffic, nothing at all.... just the plane and the basic place almost empty.

the result is this:
in virtual cockpit (VC): 761MB of RAM IN USE. 15-30 fps fluctuating.
external view: 659MB RAM IN USE. 13-15 FPS.(very low fps)

the experiment:
I made a complete package of textures in low resolution (reduces from 4096x4096 to 1024x1024... and in almost imperceptible textures to 512x512)... this package is complete (vc textures, day, night, instruments...etc)

The result under the same conditions is this:
in virtual cockpit (VC): 575MB of RAM IN USE. 35 or more fps. significant increase in fps
external view: 550MB RAM IN USE. 13-15 FPS. (very low fps) (THE SAME VALUE IS KEPT.)

Obviously the use of ram fell by approximately 200MB (savings of 200MB)...and the fps in VC is excellent....but the external view maintains the same fps value. I have reviewed everything, the external textures, the "alpha layers", the "specular" layers, even the lighting and effects... everything... everything was resized and shrunk (the result is less memory usage... but it maintains the same FPS in external view)

Could someone answer, WHY DOES THAT HAPPEN?... and here comes the strangest thing... in the same conditions... but only in the SUNSET (or night) the fps go up to the sky (35 or more FPS in view external.)

greetings <<r
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: fsx and fps: poor model or texture optimization

Postby Daube » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:12 am

Could it be that, in the external view, there is an effect which is consuming your FPS ? Some smoke effect or something like that maybe ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:51 pm

Daube wrote:Could it be that, in the external view, there is an effect which is consuming your FPS ? Some smoke effect or something like that maybe ?

of course...I have turned off all the lights...and it doesn't have smoke effects or similar...it also has "detailed moving propeller" effects and a curious, very detailed cockpit glass glow effect...but As I said... I even reduced the resolution of the textures... or even removed them from the folder (trial and error)... and nothing... it maintains very low FPS in the external view....
..but if it gets dark...or it's night... (I don't know what, but something is "released") and the fps goes up to 35 or more (even with effects and lights activated). Apparently it's not the textures... I think it's the modeling file.
Also...by pure chance...the Ryan navion B (freeware from simouthouse) also has the same situation :o :shock: :shock: (the FPS goes up free after sunset...)

If you want you can try...the GROB G115E is free...just remove the fps limiter...and try "daytime", and "just after the afternoon".
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:53 am

I don't use FSX since P3D appeared on the market, and I even stopped using P3D since MSFS came in, so I won't be able to try it, sorry ;)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam