Compatibilities?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Compatibilities?

Postby clrichey » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:11 pm

Hi, I have a question. Can you tell me whether all of the FSX products are able to work through Steam? Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,
Connor Richey
clrichey
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Compatibilities?

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:45 pm

Sorry for the delay in my reply... :doh:

I am a user of FSX-SE (Steam version)....well, apparently there are no differences...but depending on the user it can vary: I personally use freeware planes and free addons, some planes with a simple installer, and texture packs (which are installed manually)... I never had any problems of any kind...
but if you ask about paid software (PMDG, weather software, etc...etc) I'm sure there are manuals, or ways to install it successfully (I'm sure they explain its compatibility or not in FSX-SE)
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby clrichey » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:00 pm

What do you mean, "not in FSX-SE"?
clrichey
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:27 am

He meant the payware developers always explicitly mention if their plane is compatible or incompatible with FSX-SE (FSX Steam Edition) ;)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby clrichey » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:16 pm

We don't know if all of Simviation's FSX products are compatible for FSX Steam, do we?
clrichey
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:26 am

Let me try to clarify this. FSX-SE is basically the same as FSX Gold + Acceleration. The directory structure is exactly the same but in different locations. All FSX addons should be compatible with both. The only problem might be with auto-installers if the installation path cannot be redirected.
I never trusted auto-installers as you have no idea where the files are installed to. Assuming you know how to manually install addons I would always recommend redirecting the install path of an auto-installer to a temp folder & installing them manually from there. If that's not possible I would leave well alone.

In the end the best way to find out is to try it.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby clrichey » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:23 pm

Ok.
clrichey
Ground hog
Ground hog