new (again) in fsx, recommendations

FSX including FSX Steam version.

new (again) in fsx, recommendations

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:27 pm

Hello, and sorry for being so insistent.

As I said in the photo thread and when I introduce myself... so many years have passed since I last used fsx that I don't remember many things...
some planes in development that I followed with enthusiasm I don't know where they ended up... new mods are coming out... new tweaks... (it's been a long time since 2017, when I left my old life and pc)

so i have several questions about
improvements, (tweaks, cfgs..etc)
mods, (general textures, sun, airports, clouds... sky, navigation, whatever you can think of)
airplanes (plane, aeroplanes, and of course aircrafts)
Y
...etc (what was not mentioned in this list)

improvements:
I have fsx-se....I remember a page where you could download a fsx, custom cfg... many performance codes.... I have forgotten everything... I suppose that in 2022 they will have discovered something new...
my fsx-se is CLEAN (of modifications, improvements fsx.cfgs, etc) could you tell me which ones are essential to have better performance? (my current setting is "ALL LEFT" in the settings menu...textures...details etc)

mods:
I have complete woai,
hde v2.1 textures (only for clouds)
navids sky (sky only)
hd moon texture 3.0
jetway parking free textures (old REX free)
Airport Enhancer HDX Lite (free textures)
new stars and milky way of a page freeware
simple sun mod
terra emergence project 1.6 (recently released)

about navigation...I don't want the navigation update because I will only use "all default" systems and navigation...but if there is something new let me know

Are there dedicated maps EXCLUSIVELY for fsx? (maps, panels... screens etc)
Like the ones of
https://mutleyshangar.com/forum/topic/2 ... ad-center/
or others like matt fox's vfr maps (in avsim)??

something else? some other mod that I don't know? (textures or software)

planes
...well...I recently saw the finished jahn dc-3...it's been so long since I saw it in 2017...some other awesome aircraft (I saw the PUCARA on fsdeveloper)
(saw an extremely detailed mercure, a restauravia morane paris, flysimware's cessna skylane recently made freeware very very good... cessna soloy, fokker f-27, LET-410 (a marvel of simouthouse) ryan navion b, zlin-142 ...the SIAI marchetti S211 and M345 (not to be confused with the modern m346) by dino cattaneo...iris pc-9,texan...ants tiger moth, ...avro 621 tutor (the most beautiful thing I've seen in years, in simouthouse)

any more extremely detailed wonders that I missed these years?
(I am one of those who prioritize systems before seeing beautiful textures)

etc...
This subtitle includes everything that I don't mention because I don't know... if there is something essential that you know, let me know.

Cheers
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: new (again) in fsx, recommendations

Postby hertzie » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:46 pm

May I suggest that you just start flying and having fun, and when you discover a "problem", ask for assistance on this forum? We're all here to help you then, no worries, but at this moment your plea is a little bit vague for me.

Safe landings,

hertzie.
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:07 pm

Thank you very much for answering

about improvements:
I have W10 and fsx-se, I notice that it works better than my old normal fsx acceleration....
I even saw that the fps limiter actually works (or am I wrong?)

I am at the limit of out of memory (3.8 of 4gbs) although I have much more memory. That's why I use the details to a minimum, the textures very low, etc.

about fps I would like them to be "smooth", in JFK, without ANY autogen, all terrain detail values ​​​​to the minimum, with ia at 25%, and no fps limit ... it fluctuates between 30 and 60 fps ...
if it's a clear and simple place...it varies between 20 and 120...in fractions of seconds...(it's not the micro stops...rather a sudden change in fps, it shows in the smoothness of movement)
I notice when moving the camera that it does not go at the same smooth speed

any suggestions on this?
any essential tweak? some software?... or something else that in these years outside of fsx I have lost?

..about the other points (mods, airplanes...etc) if you know something that I don't know and recommend, just comment...I'll appreciate it
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:17 pm

Thank you very much for answering

more about the improvements:

in short... I would like fsx to be less of a workload for my pc than it is now...
my pc is very basic, and it's close to the limit (I close all programs, services or anything that bothers fsx during its operation)
...I mean...that it costs less work to manage fsx both in memory (load in ram) and cpu (optimize the use of the cpu, so that you can have "a breather, a rest") the cpu is always at work stop...
I don't mind losing HD sky textures, or 4k airplane models, or realistic scenery... or whatever. first of all the cpu, memory, fps,..."smoothness", ....then flight systems, planes and navigation....and last of all the texture improvements (if possible)
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:26 am

Could you tell us the specifications (what kind of CPU, GPU, how much RAM) of your PC ?
I'm surprised that you have to lower so much your settings in FSX.
Then again, FSX is known to perform very badly, as it is not able to fully use the hardware power of a computer....

It is in any case difficult to make consistent recommendations, because the behavior/performance of FSX varies a lot from a computer to another.
Also I don't remember very well all the tweaks that were necessary at that time.
But from what I remember, on my side the most efficient thing was to let FSX on "unlimited" FPS, but for other users such setting was leading to horrible ground textures blurries...
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:52 am

Thank you very much for the help.
10gb of ram // cpu I5 3570 3.4GHZ (with "turbo boost" to 3.8 // magnetic hdd (not solid) // ...... video... mmm intel HD 2500 (from the cpu itself).. .everything else is basic (monitor etc)

As you can see, I prioritize performance before textures... (if a tweak or whatever makes the textures blurry or the autogen wrong... it doesn't matter because I have them totally disabled)

even so... the fps are good (between 25-70 fps in "normal" sites (without any type of autogen, nor terrain details, the ai is at 25%... etc... in JFK it varies between 20 -40)

As I said above, I would like (with these same fps values...) the cpu to do less work (to the limit)...something that helps it not to always be at the top of performance...or to be more " efficient"...
and about the fps...I have these sudden variations of fast fps...that make the camera movements very annoying...(without limiter the variations are very strong between 20 and 120...while if I limit it to 30. ..only varies between 20 and 30)

and the ram...something that "unloads weight" from the RAM because I'm always on the verge of "out of memory"
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:13 pm

If your FPS varies too much, then yes it might be a good idea to lock them to 30.
But maybe you should also investigate about things out of the sim:
- hardware overheat: did you check your temps ?
- power management: did you check if your power management (in windows settings) was set to maximum performance and not something like power saving or anything like that ?
- antivirus: did you add the FSX process and the FSX folder(s) to the exclusion list of your antivirus ?
- other background programs: just in case anything heavy creates any useless load, especially for the HDD

I didn't expect your laptop wouldn't have a dedicated video card. That integrated intel video chipset is a good reason to stick to FSX. I wanted to recommend you to switch to some more modern sim like P3D or MSFS, but the lack of video card is a show-stopper for these sims. Bad luck. At least you have FSX-SE and not the original FSX. As you knew already, the Steam edition performs much better than the original one.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:32 pm

hahaha LOL...I have a PC...not a notebook.

Thanks for answering and wanting to help me...

-no problems of temperature, energy for maximum performance...antivirus (W defender) excluded...programs behind working...only vital.

about the obvious possibility of buying a video card...no. I just have critical priorities here in South America (like food and clothes) video card prices are crazy high (extremely high)... this pc should last a long time just for some basic use and the odd old video game

That's why I'm asking about tweaks...as of today...fsx-behaves well on my pc...good fps, minimal textures, semi-detailed planes...some light ai...

any way to make the cpu's job easier? (does all the cpu and gpu work) ..although it's not currently an inconvenience.

any other mod... plane, texture, ia, complement, etc... that you can recommend... (since 2017 everything is new for me)

<<v
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:35 pm

If you are getting 'out of memory' messages can I suggest you find and use the following files.

1) 4gb Patch.zip which contains 4gb_patch.exe. No idea where it obtainable from these days.
2) Large Address Aware which contains an exe too - don't know where to get either from and the readme files are missing. Google of course knows all things. lol

I have many ORBX addons and PMDG aircraft all of which are memory hogs and I have never had an Out of Memory crash since using these two file. They are both install and forget. So you never have to worry again. I also run Chase Plane which contains a VRAM monitor among its features.

Also you will probably need to edit your FSX.cfg file. Below are portions of mine which contains must have changes - I will highlight the additions/changes by astericks usage so edit them out and please please please backup your cfg before.

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693751040
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693751040
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 *******
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=1
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
D3D10=1
HIGHMEMFIX=1 ******
MultiSamplesPerPixel=8 ******
MultiSampleQuality=0 ******

[BUFFERPOOLS] ****** must have!
Usepools=0 ******

[Display]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64
NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64
InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0
InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0
InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoBrakesEnable=True
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True
InfoPauseEnable=True
InfoSlewEnable=True
InfoStallEnable=True
InfoOverspeedEnable=True
BLOOM_EFFECTS=0
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=31
WideViewAspect=True ******
//ForceVCShadowMap=1
ForceVCShadowMap=1 ******

[Main]
DisablePreload=1 **********
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.6=C:\PROGRAM FILES\FLIGHT ONE SOFTWARE\ULTIMATE TRAFFIC LIVE\utLive Aircraft
SimObjectPaths.7=C:\Program Files (x86)\12bPilot\SODE\data\SimObjects
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:26 pm

Thank you very much for that information on the cfg.. !!!!!! I'll be looking at it... (if you can, explain to me what each code is for... or better, I'll look it up on google)

I suppose what I want is some code or a simple tweak that improves the use of my cpu (not that it uses it more... rather, that it uses it better, more efficiently)
and about the memory I will look at those programs... but they preferred something that reduces (or deletes) the files of the ram that they no longer use (like when the plane moves)

in the first message I wrote in this thread... I put several topics (improvements, mods, airplanes, and "...etc"), if anyone knows of a must-have mod please let me know what I'm missing.

...changing the subject...the sky textures mod "navids sky set v3.0"...the page is down, you can't access it (luckily someone sent me the file)

there is some improvement of skies, clouds, atmosphere, lighting, shaders, .... or whatever it is that improves the general environment (something like the ENB, or the P3D shader presets, or the free "hde v2 skies and clouds ")... make it more "native" (not a load for my cpu)

I am mainly looking for the improvements to be GLOBAL (no airports or specific scenarios)
I have "terra emergence project v1.6.1" any other recommendation?
landclass? or any other "new" thing that I don't know about?

thanks and greetings
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:10 pm

ok...thanks for answering...
I have seen the asterisks in the list of codes that you put above and I have several questions:
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 .... why? my pc fights to have free memory and I choose the textures of lower quality and MAXIMUM performance... 1024 is ok?

HIGHMEMFIX=1 <-------I never understood this... what does it do? do i need it? (remember that I always prioritize performance...currently my fsx-se has all the textures at minimum resolution (completely blurred) except for the airplane intentionally

MultiSamplesPerPixel=8<--------------- I can't find information for these
MultiSampleQuality=0<-------------- I can't find information for these

[BUFFERPOOLS]
Usepools=0 <----what does it do?

WideViewAspect=True<--------many say they lose fps with this...I personally don't mind seeing the image without wide aspect.

ForceVCShadowMap=1<-------------this is not for dx10? (thing I don't use)

DisablePreload=1 <---I have read but I don't understand...what is it? and it works for fsx-se?

sorry for the inconvenience and thank you
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:03 am

Just go here - most of your queries are answered - there is just too much that has been argued over and explained in the past 16 years of FSX.

http://c-aviation.net/fsx-tweak/fsx-cfg-tweak-guide/
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:57 pm

sorry for the VERY late reply...

i have gone through point by point....in tons of forum threads on how to improve fsx performance.....

I came to this conclusion: none of them work for me/I don't need them....why?:

my fsx-se, I have it at minimum graphics, without autogen (I fly high), textures of skies, clouds, etc improved but medium resolution...etc....in this configuration my fsx-se FLY very fast <<s

even as I fly at a lower resolution than my screen...I don't even care about ugly textures....I just set "30 mile visibility"...I have constant fps of 30-70 (although I actually do I limit it to 30...and I never saw it go down)

thanks for your help. <<r
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:53 pm

well...going back to re-learn...I can say that these things are critical and mandatory to have:
(even me... I fly in low resolutions and without autogen, etc)
all freeware:

obvious:
fsuipc
(I personally had problems starting fsx-se with fsuipc...but an old version is enough to work fine)

XMLTools_FSX_v201

some planes need this (like EXCELLENT cessna soloy mark1 and 2)

AI
-customtraffic (the original fsx traffic, but I split: the GA (general aviation) traffic),
and on the other, commercial traffic (airlines)
This modification allows the IA traffic GA not to "HIND" at large airports.
(does not fly to and from large airports so as not to disturb the landing of large planes...
They will only be in aerodromes and small airports ... as much as possible)

-world of ai (everyone knows it)

-DefaultAirlineTraffic ..... and ...... FSX_DefaultGA
these ia traffics are the ORIGINALS of fsx....and add some fsx planes that were not used as ia (like the maule)
They are divided into 2 parts...on the one hand, GA traffic (general aviation), and on the other, commercial traffic (airlines)
...but both have the characteristic of having been CONVERTED to the FS9 format... so they ARE COMPATIBLE with WOAI !
(if you see that woai is boring without planes ga...this is your mod)

music:
...just "get" the MSFS 2020 menu music... and you will have nothing to envy.... :D

SKIES TEXTURES:

-explor enviroment x:
it does not bring the best skies like navids, or others... but it is the only one that respects the blackness at 60,000 fts. remove the default violet color from fsx, put nice soft cloud textures....that's right...don't install the sun.

-simple sun mod:
THE sun for fsx. there is no other. is the best.

Night Sky Enhancement:
includes improvements in the stars, milky way, and moon... here I want to clarify something: the best version is the old one...because it brings a "milky way" lighter in size, for low resolutions... ..whereas the new one only works well at high resolutions... (don't use the moon...it's too heavy.)

-hd moon texture 3.0
: there are other mods for the moon...but this mod has the feature that you can have the best moon in different resolutions (ideal for bad pc like mine)

terrain textures:

terra emergence project 1.6.1
: includes all collected upgrades in one installer (open terrain..and city terrain) you don't need to download everything separately anymore.

airport enhancer HDX LITE:
it has different types of ground for all asphalt and concrete runways, for all taxiways..... many textures to choose from on each runway and taxiway!!!!!

also...as I said in the first comment...since I mainly use airplanes of medium complexity but that use the default fsx navigation system....I don't need navaids updates...

instead I use the default airport charts that you created here:
https://mutleyshangar.com/forum/topic/2 ... ad-center/

also in avsim (search in the advanced search engine... the user "matt fox") published huge pdfs of vfr maps

for airplanes:

for first flights and training (and biplanes)

zlin-142
cessna 150 from french vfr
ant tiger moth
avro 621/tutor/trainer/sea tutor/ and PWS-18:
five packages to have all the avro 621 and its variants.... I think, the most beautiful plane I've seen in fsx (in recent years) (it's simouthouse)

small but heavy planes

cessna 182k skylane...recently made freware from "flysimware"
ryan navion B
cessna 206 soloy mark 1 and 2
(heavier)

turbo-trainers:

IRIS PC-9 freeware
IRIS T-6A TEXAN II freeware

i've watched actual texan power up videos...and it's almost exactly the same as fsx texan startup...if you start "cold and dark" (choose a cessna, turn it off, then choose the texan) and follow the checklist. ..is VERY VERY realistic.

if you want it to look a little better in terms of textures to make it look more "military"... look at this thread:
https://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/vi ... 2&t=181543

jet trainer:

restauravia morane 760 paris (light on fps, and very complex)
aermachi s211 and m311 and m345
(not to be confused with the modern M346)
they come in the same package (the original s211 with analog cabin, and the modern ones with lcd screens of JPATS program)

(here I did not choose the t-45 gosthawk because it is VERY heavy in fps, and memory... while in the morane paris... you have something VERY complex, but light in fps)

two engines

manfred jahn DC-3 C-47.....and c-117
basler bt-67
(there is an audio mod here on simviation, for the pratt and whitney pt-6 engine....excellent sound)

FOKKER F-27: recently published, it is excellently detailed and very complex in handling (luckily it is light in fps... I say that I have a very bad pc)

LET-410 v2:
it is in simouthouse, it has many versions in a single package, with different vc.

airline planes
... well, I'm in a long project to improve 2 planes... I'll post some pictures later.

here some pics (sorry they are only from the texan...but at least you can see the sky, the stars, the sun, the clouds...all freeware mods mentioned above)

Cheers <<s <<q <<u
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:29 pm

I will make a complete thread about the 737-700 of tds... and the a319 of project airbus
why I chose that model, and how to improve textures....
and in the end... try to have in all aspects the 737 closest to the real one (within what can be done in fsx, and TDS, and alrot's vc default)

Here's a preview (different from the other thread :D ):
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam